PDA

View Full Version : My first pens

Mark Patoka
03-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Here are my first 15 pens that will be mailed to Keith next week. My co-worker/good friend just deployed to Iraq but unfortunately I was unable to get one to him before he left. Being active duty Air Force in the Pentagon also adds a special meaning to this project as several of my friends have already deployed and made it back. I'm hoping to drum up some more donations when I take these into the office next week.

They are made of (from top right): cherry-5, maple-3, oak-1, hickory-1, walnut-5.

I already emailed Ken and can't wait for my next batch of kits to arrive.

Dennis Peacock
03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Here are my first 15 pens that will be mailed to Keith next week. My co-worker/good friend just deployed to Iraq but unfortunately I was unable to get one to him before he left. Being active duty Air Force in the Pentagon also adds a special meaning to this project as several of my friends have already deployed and made it back. I'm hoping to drum up some more donations when I take these into the office next week.

I already emailed Ken and can't wait for my next batch of kits to arrive.

Mark,

Very nice pens there sir!!!! Now....tell me what size tools you are using to turn those roundy spots on those pens.? I think I could try my hand at doing just that, but just ain't sure how it's done.

Dick Parr
03-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Very nice Mark!

John Miliunas
03-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Way to go, Mark! A fine looking set of writing instruments, there! Gotta' admit, turning the Cherry pens are one of my favorites. Keep up the great work! :cool:

Bobby McCarley
03-13-2004, 1:13 AM
Very nice Mark, keep up the good work.

Bobby McCarley

Jerry Stringer
03-13-2004, 2:19 AM
Great looking pens there, Mark! Very nice lines to them.

Thanks for the effort! Don't you wish you could be a fly on the wall and watch the troops faces when the open the packages and read the notes!

Have a great day!

Jerry

Mark Patoka
03-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Dennis,
For the most part I just use my 1" gouge to do all the shaping. Occassionally I'll use a 3/8" gouge or a skew chisel to fine tune. Just gotta watch the 1" gouge when next to the bushings.

Mark,

Very nice pens there sir!!!! Now....tell me what size tools you are using to turn those roundy spots on those pens.? I think I could try my hand at doing just that, but just ain't sure how it's done.