PDA

View Full Version : new dust collector set-up

Jeffrey Fusaro
02-25-2008, 7:36 AM
i started to realize that i wasn't turning as much lately. i've had a bowl chucked on the lathe for a few weeks and was reluctant to start sanding it. i finally figured out that i was avoiding it because i was not wanting to fill my shop with any more dust than was already there.

my shop vac just wasn't doing a good enough job of catching all the sanding dust.

so... i took advantage of the last week's sale at rockler and picked up a jet dc-1100. i didn't even bother taking the filter bags out of the box. instead, i ordered the wynn environmental spun bond polyester cartridge filter (#35A100SBOL).

installing the filter took a few evenings worth of work. i read thru some of bill pence's materials and decided to do the install this way;

photo #1 (the assembled mdf rings are shown inverted for detail)

- i measured the inside diameter of the d/c top opening and cut an mdf ring that was about 1/4" smaller in diameter. this ring will fit down inside the opening.

- i cut a second mdf ring that was about 1" larger than the top of d/c opening. this ring will sit on top of the d/c flange opening.

- i cut a 10" diameter hole in the center of both rings to allow airflow from the d/c into the filter.

photo #2

- i cut a 14" diameter piece of aluminum window screen and glued it between the two mdf rings. i used a ring of silicone caulk and six drywall screws to hold the mdf/screen sandwich together. this screen is intended to keep larger pieces of debris from flying up into and damaging the filter. (these filters are expensive - don't skimp here!)

- i ran a generous bead of silicone caulk around the mdf ring flange where the large ring and small ring meet. this is the area that seals around the flange of the d/c opening.

- i inserted the mdf rings into the d/c opening and secured them with six sheet metal screws. the caulk oozed out around the flange and i wiped off the excess with my finger and a paper towel.

- i used six "clothes line" hooks to secure the filter cartridge to the mdf rings. the loop ends are on top to capture the inside diameter of the metal flange on the filter. the hooks are show turned sideways so the filter cartridge will fit down over them. once the filter is in place, i was able to reach up inside and turn them 90 degrees to engage the inner flange of the filter. the hooks are tightened using wing nuts from the underside.

photo #3

- i used a 3/8" shim to ensure that i was compressing the filter flange gasket evenly.

photo #4

- the filter cartridge comes with three heavy polybags for chip collection. they slip over the bottom diameter of the d/c body (after several attempts and some cussing) and i used blue painter's masking tape to hold the bag in place and seal it to the d/c body. clear packing tape would be better, but i didn't have any on hand.

i hope this simplistic description makes sense. please ask for additional clarification, if desired.

after it was assembled, i fired up the d/c and connected it to my band saw to test it. it seemed to work well. the blade is still taking some debris up and out of the saw, but it is much cleaner than it was when i was just using the shop vac.

i have yet to try using the d/c for any lathe sanding.

a few observations;

- hearing protection is recommended. the d/c is not as loud as the shop vac, but still not tolerable for me to stand next to for any length of time.

- i was surprised at how little air movement i could feel thru the filter. i attribute this to the amount of filter surface area. i guess i was expecting more of a 'breeze' to be produced. the cooling fan on the motor actually produces more 'breeze' affect than the d/c itself.

- i used the d/c to clean up all of the fine mdf dust that i created during the assembly. it did a good job. i was surprised to see the dust swirling around in the bottom of the d/c bag. i thought that most of the dust would have wound up going into the filter.

then it hit me.

this 'fine' mdf dust is the 'heavy stuff' that is settling out. the 'super fine', micron size stuff is what is going up into the filter. this is the stuff that i can't see.

now, i understand.

this is the first part in my battle with dust.

i've also rearranged my shop to put my band saw and lathe next to the d/c. i am not planning to run any ductwork, so this needed to be done.

i plan to add some brushes to my band saw to sweep the debris off the blade and keep it the lower housing so the d/c can take it away.

i also have a 4" diameter vent hole thru the wall in my shop. i think the builder intended this to be a vent for a future powder room i am going to install a fan/ blower near the opening and use this to suck airborne dust out side.

finally, i am going to spend a few nights just vacuuming up all the dust that has accumulated on the shop walls and all of my tools.

i'm hoping that all of this will keep the dust down in my shop and reduce the chances of any dust related ailments.

thanks for reading this far. i hope this info is helpful.

please feel free to ask any questions.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2008, 8:36 AM
Jeffrey - congrats on your new dust collection system! Looks like you did a great job on the filter modification! Let us know what you think of it after you have used it for a little while. I am curious as to how well the cannister filter works and how well it helps control the dust problem in your shop. Nice work and thanks for the how-to!

Mike A. Smith
02-25-2008, 8:42 AM
Thanks for the post Jeffrey! I'm about to start the same project myself, this was very helpful.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Congrats on the new DC. Looks like a fine job on the filter mod.

Dale Gregory
02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Jeff, nice job! Looks like a very nice setup. Just curious, doesn't that filter come with turnbuckles to attach to your unit without the wooden doughnut? I'm considering one of those filters for my HF unit I just got.

Dale

Jeffrey Fusaro
02-25-2008, 2:25 PM
Jeff, nice job! Looks like a very nice setup. Just curious, doesn't that filter come with turnbuckles to attach to your unit without the wooden doughnut? I'm considering one of those filters for my HF unit I just got.

Dale

dale--

it did come with turnbuckles, but they are too long. :(

also, i wanted to use the protective screen, so i opted for this method of installation.

having the flat mdf ring also eliminates having to make the flat gasket on the filter mate to the angled surface of the d/c throat. :cool: