PDA

View Full Version : oscar night

Matt Schell
02-24-2008, 10:51 PM
anybody see "No Country for Old Men" between being too cheap to pay 11.50 for a movie ticket and the fact that I have 4 very little kids and no babysitters I haven't seen it but I did enjoy the book.

Any other movie recommendations?

Gary Keedwell
02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
anybody see "No Country for Old Men" between being too cheap to pay 11.50 for a movie ticket and the fact that I have 4 very little kids and no babysitters I haven't seen it but I did enjoy the book.

Any other movie recommendations?
My brother said it was good until the last 15 minutes. Alot of people weren't crazy about the ending.
Gary

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Matt......I heard here about a movie awhile back. The LOML and I rented it and was surprised what a great movie it was....."3:10 to Yuma". Watch it to the very end..... Good movie for a modern western.

Pat Germain
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Please don't confiscate my Official Guy Membership Card, but I saw Atonement and thought it was excellent. It features a scene on the beach where the British Army is evacuating (ie retreating). It's done in one very long scene with no cutting and no edits. It's one of the greatest things I've ever seen on film.

I also saw 3:10 to Yuma just today and thought it was indeed a great Western.

I saw Juno with my family and we all thought it was hilarious as well as outstanding.

I saw Once with my son over Christmas. It's an unusual Indie picture. My son is a singer/songwriter. He recently met the guy who made the film and, with his girlfriend, won the Academy Award for Best Original Song. Not long ago, he was just a struggling indie musician just like my son.

Many of the nominated films this year are somewhat abstract. Let us remember the Academy Award is really an insider industry award. We all just like to watch so they oblige us and make a lot of money to boot.

Gary Keedwell
02-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Saw American Gangster tonite. Very long but interesting.

Gary

Greg Peterson
02-25-2008, 12:54 AM
No Country is about the most disturbingly violent movie I have ever seen. The end was original and fitting, IMO. I rather liked the way the Coen brothers ended it.

Anyone recognize the deputy? He had a couple of roles on Deadwood.

3:10 to Yuma was very good. Not big on John Wayne westerns. 3:10 is a bit grittier and to my sensibilities seems a little more authentic, if you will.

Children of Men had many long, complex, unedited scenes where a lot of action took place.

Derailed is pretty good. Real good IMO.

Just watched Martian Child. Not bad. Worth watching.

Matt Schell
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
thanks for all the input, I was a little shocked by the ending when I read the book, but after I thought about it seemed a fitting ending.

any comments on "there will be blood"