PDA

View Full Version : Finally some DC progress................

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2008, 10:36 PM
As of about 7:00 p.m......I finally got to the point where I'd take some photos and can show some progress. I have a small area on the right where I want to redo the strapping. I've got maybe 3 joints I want to tape. Finally, I am at the point where I can start building a storage rack for lumber, an assembly table and setting up and using my new tools!

The drop in the first photo is for my sliding compound miter saw.

The drop in the 2nd photo is for four tools....table saw....b/s....planer and future jointer.

The 3rd drop ..for use with the lathe

And the monsterous DC machine itself.....

Ladies and gentlement I present to you my 3 hp Oneida Dust
Gorilla......about 15 minutes away from actual use! YES!

gary Zimmel
02-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Ken

Great job on the install and nice looking gorilla...

I bet that baby will do the trick.

Let us know how the she works.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
BTW Dennis.......that's an OFFICIAL Arkansas manufactured Baldor 3 HP motor.....

Dave Verstraete
02-25-2008, 7:58 AM
Ken
Nice job on the install. Your tools must be related to mine. They tend to scatter all around the room during a project. Hmm... now where is that tin snips...no...the left handed one....

Almost time to make some dust!!

Paul Greathouse
02-25-2008, 9:58 AM
Ken

Please let us know how well the system works after you have it up and running. Your shop appears to be deminsioned and layed out really similar to mine. I have been trying to figure out where to place the cyclone and how to run the duct work when I do get a dust system, so if your design works for your shop, it would probably work in mine due to the similarities.

You also have some serious lighting in your shop. Mine is 30' wide and I only have two rows of end-to-end T-8 light fixtures but they light my shop really well, even at night.

Jim Becker
02-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Ken, really nice installation job! I love the "corbels", too... LOL!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Paul,

Last night I tested the system for the first time. If the machine hoods are good that thing will perform well, I'm sure. I was glad I had my hand attached to my arm when I tested it!:D

As far as the ductwork layout, I paid Oneida an engineering fee to design the ductwork. I showed them the layout of my shop and where I wanted the tools to be located. In my shop, the middle drop has a quick disconnect on it and I'll be moving it between the t/s, b/s, planer and jointer.

Dennis Peacock
02-25-2008, 10:09 AM
BTW Dennis.......that's an OFFICIAL Arkansas manufactured Baldor 3 HP motor.....

I LOVE IT Ken!!!!! Nothing like a little bit of Arkysaw electrified metal up in Idee-Hoe!!!! :D

Congrats my friend!!!! I'm so proud of you and your shop!!!! :cool: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Jim...those are just 2x2's jigged on my scms.....chamferred the ends.....screwed a 12" on top a 16". Predrilled all the holes and chamferred the drilled holes to prevent splitting.

When we got to the east side of the room, they looked a little big for running up next to the wall so we cut them down. My SIL (a carpenter) is here in Lewiston, going to a truck driving school (fallout from the housing downturn). I prefabbed the corbels before he got here. We spent a couple of hours last weekend and a couple of hours on Saturday. Then I finished the rest yesterday.

Dennis Peacock
02-25-2008, 10:10 AM

Corbels!!?????? Needs to add a couple of "Cow Bells" if you ask me. :rolleyes: :p :D

Jim Becker
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Ken, on the duct layout, the perimeter run isn't the most ideal, but with your lighting setup, it's the most practical. (I think you raised that question...or someone did awhile back) Your shop is small, so I doubt performance will be impacted...that yellow thing moves a lot of air! (I mention this, not so much for you, but for others)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Corbels!!?????? Needs to add a couple of "Cow Bells" if you ask me. :rolleyes: :p :D

Dennis.....cowbells I could handle. My neighbors wife says she wants to pick out the curtains. I told her there wasn't going to be any curtains. My name isn't Chris Padilla and I'm not located in California!:eek::rolleyes::D

Ed Jolin
02-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Looks real nice, Ken. Is all your pipe 6"? And how are you attaching the pipe to your brackets? (any closeup pics?). I'm planning something similar with spiral pipe, so was curious on your solution.
thanks-
ed

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Ed,
I used plumber's metal strapping and used some screws to attach the plumber's strap to the wood supports on the ceiling and plywood where it runs along the walls.

I paid Oneida to engineer the ductwork.

The pipe is 6" and converts to 5" after turning to the down drops. EXCEPT....for the sliding compound miter saw, Oneida designed it so that it's 6" until it makes the bend in the corner and converts to 5" to the down drop and 5" to the drop. See the first photo. The pipe is 6" from the DC to the corner in the left of the photo. The 6" makes the bend in the corner then converst to 5" along that wall and 5" down to the blast gate and the "Y" for the 2 intakes for the scms.

All of my drops are 5".

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Dennis.....cowbells I could handle. My neighbors wife says she want to pick out the curtains. I told her there wasn't going to be any curtains. My name isn't Chris Padilla and I'm not located in California!:eek::rolleyes::D

Well at least I don't have CORBELS holding up my ductwork!! Why aren't there any fancy carvings in them, hmmm?! ;)

But, anywho, nice job on the layout...very clean...nice supports.... :)

Scott Shevnock
02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I was under the impression that ductwork design was free with the purchase of a 3hp or larger super sucker...

Heather Thompson
02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I was also advised at the time of purchase that ductwork desige was part of the sale, even when I move and build a new show from the ground up, no matter when that may be! It is my bet that I will get free design in how many ever years it may take.

Heather;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Scott.......Initially because I'm a one man hobbiest shop, Oneida didn't think it would require and in fact, recommended a 2 hp Dust Gorilla. So I paid the engineering fee. Then after they designed it, they didn't have any 2 hp Baldor motors in stock and it was going to be sometime before any were delivered. Asked if I'd be willing to upgrade to 2.5 hp I said "Okay". When my system delivered inside the motor box was a note stating due to a supplier shortage of 2 hp and 2.5 hp motors, mine had been upgraded to 3 hp at no charge to me. I measured the size of the impeller.....who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Steve Clardy
02-25-2008, 3:21 PM
Well its about time. ;);):D:D:D

Lookin' good :cool:

Mike Spanbauer
02-25-2008, 3:27 PM
nicely done Ken. I'm sure it sucks!

mike

Scott Shevnock
02-25-2008, 5:36 PM
Ken...I just ordered my 2.5hp last Friday and am (im)patiently waiting for it to show. Funny you speak of getting the free upgrade, I know a guy who had the very same thing happen to him...ordered a 2hp, they didn't have any instock, so he got 3hp upgrade for nothing.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2008, 8:50 PM
Looks real nice, Ken. Is all your pipe 6"? And how are you attaching the pipe to your brackets? (any closeup pics?). I'm planning something similar with spiral pipe, so was curious on your solution.
thanks-
ed

Ed,

Here's how I attached the pipe to the wooden brackets and to the plywood on the walls.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-25-2008, 9:14 PM
Nice work Ken! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Leo Graywacz
03-12-2008, 7:40 AM
Nice job on the install Ken. Looks nice and clean. Did you end up duct taping the joints or did you use silicone? I took pictures of my setup before the taping, made it look cleaner. Now it looks like a zebra. I opted for the 2.5HP and they had it in stock, no free upgrade for me.

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 8:01 AM
Leo, foil HVAC tape disappears. "Duct tape" (the cloth type) isn't a good choice for duct, believe it or not. It peels off over time.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2008, 8:03 AM
Leo....in the photos...most of the joints are taped with foil tape.

Mike Goetzke
03-12-2008, 8:29 AM
Ken - I've been following your posts on this project. I really give you credit for a well planned system/project. It has inspired me to modify my DC system in my garage/shop. I relocated my DC and replaced all my main runs from 4" to 6" duct work (I put the 4" in well before I was smart enough to know it was a bad choice).

(Please keep us informed on how well the cyclone works on your lathe work.)

Mike

Dave Lessley
03-12-2008, 5:51 PM
I was under the impression that ductwork design was free with the purchase of a 3hp or larger super sucker...

I just purchased a 3hp Dust Gorilla and they told me that the free design came only with the industrial models now. The Dust Gorilla does not count as industrial regardless of the horse power of the motor. The sales guy did say he would be happy to advise me if I had any questions.

Roger Warford
03-12-2008, 9:37 PM
Ken, That looks great! I'm jealous. That was the system I wanted, but economic reality forced me to settle for a 2hp canister. It's sitting in the garage waiting for me to haul it to the basement, set it up and wire it. I'm sure it will work fine for my small shop, but that big yellow gorilla sure looks nice in the corner.

Is it true that if you run that thing a few minutes a day you don't have to worry about dandruff shampoo?

-Roger