PDA

View Full Version : Makeup brushes - with flair

Ed Davidson
02-24-2008, 9:30 PM
A couple of years ago, I commissioned a boat-load of 0.75” to 1.50” round dichroic glass cabochons from a well-known glass artist. And I've been sitting on this stash ever since...just couldn't rationalize using these expensive pieces of glass on a bottle stopper or some other small spindle. Finally, something has come along that may justify the investment. I'm thinking that there is a market for high-end makeup brushes for the ladies - here’s my first use of di-glass with wood handles on a brush...Amboyna burl and Osage Orange. What do you think?

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 9:38 PM
Hi Ed,
Thanks again for the Scorpion.:D

Those brushes look fantastic.

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2008, 9:38 PM
Ed those are real beauties. I think you might be right about the market.

Tom Hamilton
02-24-2008, 9:41 PM
Hi Ed: Interesting product idea. I think you've got a shot at an innovative market segment.

So, I would consider what the best selling brush on the market looks like and how is feels in the hands of the user. Your handles look a little stubby and masculine to me in the photos. Seems ladies brushes would be more slender, longer and elegant.

Also, how long should the brush portion be to effectively apply the product. I have no idea, but it is a factor to the user.

So, great idea, press on with vigor and Go for it!

Best regards, Tom

John-Paul Murphy
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Very nice Ed
I have been making shaving brushes for some years now. I have made a few makeup brushes from premium badger hair and they go over very well. Better than the shaving brushes...just not enough time to make them. :(
A small stand to hang the brush on would really show off the glass..

Donna Ashby
02-25-2008, 6:13 AM
They're lovely, I like them a lot!

Regarding what Tom thought about the handle length...

I'm nearsighted and I need to lean pretty close to the mirror to see what I'm doing. (I apply my makeup prior to putting on my contacts.) The shorter handles would fit better between my face and the mirror. Even women with normal vision tend to get close to the mirror. So maybe the shape will work out OK. Plus, I think the eye candy quality of the dichros (pics never capture the beauty of this glass) will prove to be the big selling point. I was trying to get a mental image of how you could add the glass on a more long and slender handle and I just can't picture a good design. This could have something to do with the time of day though. :-)

jack richington
02-25-2008, 9:03 AM
They are well crafted, fer sure...very appealing...but my eye says man's shaving brush...why not??? Could be both??? Each person who views your work will see different things...put them out and let buyer decide the use they want it for...

David Walser
02-25-2008, 11:21 AM
They are well crafted, fer sure...very appealing...but my eye says man's shaving brush...why not??? Could be both??? Each person who views your work will see different things...put them out and let buyer decide the use they want it for...

Jack,

The difference between a shaving brush and the makeup brushes is that the shaving brushes are made using boars hair while the makeup brushes are made using sable. Boars hair is too stiff to use for makeup and sable is too soft to apply shaving soap with.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Ed - that's some beautiful work! I hope they sell very well for you!

robert hainstock
02-25-2008, 11:50 AM
As a man, I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out the mind of a woman. I'm about to post some pens, a couple of whidh I hope are appetizing to women. Guessing what will appeal to them will always be a crapshoot, and thank God for that.:D:D
Bob

jack richington
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Jack,

The difference between a shaving brush and the makeup brushes is that the shaving brushes are made using boars hair while the makeup brushes are made using sable. Boars hair is too stiff to use for makeup and sable is too soft to apply shaving soap with.
THANKS< I'M AN IDIOT

Ed Davidson
02-25-2008, 2:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. The two pictured above are synthetic, intended for those who might object to natural animal hair use...probably not too good for a shaving brush as they are extremely soft. Here's some photos of sable hair makeup brushes I've made (don't use them myself) recently...poly resin and pistachio.

Ben Gastfriend
02-25-2008, 3:35 PM
I can say they're really nice even though I don't think I'll be applying makeup anytime soon! Good luck with those.

Glenn Hodges
02-25-2008, 3:40 PM
Ed your work has always impressed me, and it has been an inspiration to many of us. This is another great idea, thanks for sharing it with us.

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 3:48 PM
Get those into the hands of some uppity-Hollywood type and you won't be able to keep them on the shelves or charge enough money for them!!

Do you sign them in some guise? Beautiful work...nice touch with the glass.

Denis Monti
02-26-2008, 2:03 AM
Hello all.

I like the brushes and do agree that they look more like shaving brushes. My wife says she'd use one for blush.

My question is, where does one get the brush end inserts?

Thanks.

Denis

Philip Duffy
02-26-2008, 3:38 AM
Perfect! Ought to sell like hotcakes at every show. Phil

Rob Platt
02-26-2008, 6:30 AM
Great brushes! Where did you find a supply for the tips?

Rob

Ed Davidson
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks again for all the great comments and suggestions. The business end of these brushes was purchased here: http://tinyurl.com/2pavdm