PDA

View Full Version : I need a different mortiser (?)

Rob Will
02-24-2008, 9:00 PM
I have a MAKA oscillating chisel mortiser that I picked up at a local surplus store. It works ok but I don't like the speed and vibration from that sort of machine.

(I'm thinking about trading the MAKA on a PM 66 to use as a second table saw and set it up as a dado station) (??)

I also might switch to a hollow chisel mortiser but I'm not sure whether to look at bench-top or floor-standing models. I don't care about speed all that much but I am addicted to big power tools:o - I want something that is super strong with big capacity. Any models come to mind? Prefer American made 3 phase.

Thanks for your input and suggestions

Rob

Steve Rozmiarek
02-24-2008, 9:04 PM
Hmmmm.... getting rid of a Maka???? I'm all ears!

Tom Leasure
02-24-2008, 9:41 PM
I have a MAKA oscillating chisel mortiser that I picked up at a local surplus store. It works ok but I don't like the speed and vibration from that sort of machine.

(I'm thinking about trading the MAKA on a PM 66 to use as a second table saw and set it up as a dado station) (??)

I also might switch to a hollow chisel mortiser but I'm not sure whether to look at bench-top or floor-standing models. I don't care about speed all that much but I am addicted to big power tools:o - I want something that is super strong with big capacity. Any models come to mind? Prefer American made 3 phase.

Rob

Rob,
I,m shopping for a larger mortiser as well - look at Laguna - looka real close to the PM719 & is little cheaper

Tom

Kirk Poore
02-25-2008, 9:24 AM

Rob

Used American built machinery would be the best value, as long as you have time for the proper search. Big names include Greenlee, Wysong & Miles, Crescent, and of course Oliver. Any of these will do for a floor-standing model. I have a Greenlee 227 autofeed machine, which is way over-kill since it has both a direct drill head and a feed motor.

The features I looked for were:
1. Compound table. I need to do angled mortises frequently, so a tilting table was a must. You also will need tables with three-axis movement--in/out, up/down, and left/right, as well as the tilt.

2. Direct drive head: Not essential, but usually a much simpler mechanism.

3. Collet system for chisels and bits: Most chisels and bits are interchangeable, other than drill bit length. You may have to cut some bits down, and others may be too short. Many use a collet system for both chisel and bit, but some have a drill chuck for the bit. Mine was converted to this, and I lost a couple of chisels when the bit spun in the chuck after jamming with chips. I now have flats machined into my bits so they won't spin in the chuck. Collets hold better, but are tougher to fit with the bits (each size shank needs a different collet). Some mortisers have a system where the chisels are threaded. These chisels are hard to find and replace.

4. Good hold-down mechanism, and (if possible) a good setup for stop-blocks so you can limit part placement and table travel. Try to get one with a front table clamp. These go missing frequently.

The OWWM.com site is being rebuilt at the moment. When it comes back up, search it by machine type. There are dozens of mortisers there. You can email the owners to get their impressions on their machines.

Oh, I paid $900 for mine, plus a couple hundred for gas/food/lodging on the trip to go get it (I'm in St Louis, it was near Akron). Other than cleaning, repainting, and a little work on the starters, it was ready to run. For a foot operated, direct drive (say 1-1/2 hp or 2 hp) machine with a compound table, I'd expect to pay in the $500-800 range, plus new bearings, paint, and cleanup.

Kirk

Mark Hennebury
03-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Rob
Hi Rob, If you are looking to sell the Maka, let me know.
Mark Hennebury
613-989-1146