PDA

View Full Version : What did I do?

Scott Lux
02-24-2008, 7:31 PM
Ok, I made this and I have no idea what it is. It's about 3.25" high x 3", and the hollow is 2.75" deep. So I'm hoping somebody can tell me what it is. Bonus points if you can guess what kind of wood it is. I'll tell this much: I cut it down in my yard in central Ohio. (hint: not exotic;))

Lux

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 7:39 PM
Not sure of the wood.

But the turning looks like an old Coca-Cola glass thats missing some of the bottom. lol:p

Mike A. Smith
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey, I got one of those! (I didn't know what it was either)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2008, 10:40 PM
It's a weighted bottomed vase to be used with dry flower or artificial flower arangements. Put some florist's foam inside it to stick the artificial flowers in it. Sign it.......date it......Give to the LOYL.

Raymond Overman
02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't think you're going to get a good pint in that thing.:cool: The wood and shape is nice though.

Curt Fuller
02-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Well, I'd say it's a nice little vase and the wood looks like it could be sumac.

Nathan Hawkes
02-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Well, from the grain, I'd guess cherry; from the color, I'd say maybe boxelder?????

Pat Salter
02-25-2008, 9:12 AM
hollow form, apple.

but what do I know :D

Tom Sherman
02-25-2008, 9:41 AM
A nice shape, the wood maybe Bradford Pear, or Dog wood maybe.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Don't know the wood but it is a nice looking flower vase or pencil holder.

Scott Lux
02-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Not sure of the wood.

But the turning looks like an old Coca-Cola glass thats missing some of the bottom. lol:p

That's Where I've seen this shape!! I new it was familiar, but I couldn't place it.

We had a set of 4 when I was a kid. Probably free with a fill up at $.49/gallon. Of course that LeSabre held a lot of gas. Hey, how'd I end up on Memory Lane?

Lux

robert hainstock
02-25-2008, 3:20 PM
Although it's pretty hard to find a piece of lilac that big that hasn't cracked. I would use it as a pencil cup.:o:o:o
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-25-2008, 3:29 PM
Whatever it is, its really nice. Great job here, and the form really shows off the figure in that wood! Cool!

Scott Lux
02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
So the consensus is hat I have made a small vase. Good to know.

The wood is... Bush Honeysuckle. It is a noxious weed/shrub that is trying to take over the midwest. I have 3 acres with about 1/3 of it covered in this stuff. So I started a hack and poison program 2 years ago.

I started turning a year ago and wanted some free wood to practice on, so I tried the Bush Honeysuckle. It turns great green, but is very prone to checking. I started by turning natural-edge mushrooms as practice. They proved to be very popular, so I keep making them.

But when I found this piece with a bend and twist in it I thought I should try something different.

Nathan Hawkes
02-26-2008, 7:21 PM
I would've never guessed. I almost guessed poison ivy, actually. I figured it was something really unusual since you made a big deal about it.

Russ Peters
02-26-2008, 7:42 PM
How is it to turn? Are there any problems from the poison to either the turner or the holder? thanks

Allen Neighbors
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
The shape is sort of like those wind chimes... the huge windmills like Holland windmills, that make music when they turn, from the wind blowing through gizmos shaped like this piece. Anyhow... ya done good! :)
Honeysuckle? Who'd a thought it?

Nathan Hawkes
02-27-2008, 4:05 AM
How is it to turn? Are there any problems from the poison to either the turner or the holder? thanks

I really meant it as a joke, but I imagine it has some interesting grain, if you get a big enough vine. I've cut them before (only if dry or in the winter!!!)--chain saw or axe, 3 inches thick, and they have very dark sap, which leads me to believe theymight be more than bland, but I don't EVER want to find out, quite honestly. I'm told that wet, or "fresh" poison ivy can shut down your breathing if you're around it when it is burned!! I imagine that vaporizing even a little bit is dangerous to be breathed in at any concentration. On a slightly different note, I remember making some jalepeno bread once, then washing the cutting board & knives I'd used to cut up the peppers with hot water. Boy was that a mistake! I got enough of the "capsaicins" (chemicals responsible for the HEAT) into the air to trigger an asthma attack. Don't want to tempt fate with the poison ivy for any curiosity's sake!

Scott Lux
02-27-2008, 2:59 PM
I can't speak to poison ivy...
but I can tell you Grape turns nicely. Of course you can't keep it from cracking, but it turns great. I have several pieces 3" diameter I cut. the wood is beyond porous, think sponge. I thought grape would be the perfect stopper for wine, but the wood isn't that pretty anyway.

Brian Poor
02-27-2008, 6:17 PM
I was going to guess Apple as well.

Have you tried to rough out and dry using anything like Liquid Dishwashing Detergent or De-Natured Alcohol before finish turning?

ross russo
02-27-2008, 7:46 PM
I really meant it as a joke, but I imagine it has some interesting grain, if you get a big enough vine. I've cut them before (only if dry or in the winter!!!)--chain saw or axe, 3 inches thick, and they have very dark sap, which leads me to believe theymight be more than bland, but I don't EVER want to find out, quite honestly. I'm told that wet, or "fresh" poison ivy can shut down your breathing if you're around it when it is burned!! I imagine that vaporizing even a little bit is dangerous to be breathed in at any concentration. On a slightly different note, I remember making some jalepeno bread once, then washing the cutting board & knives I'd used to cut up the peppers with hot water. Boy was that a mistake! I got enough of the "capsaicins" (chemicals responsible for the HEAT) into the air to trigger an asthma attack. Don't want to tempt fate with the poison ivy for any curiosity's sake!

You don't want to run the Poison Ivy through a wood chipper either. Long story for another day. But let me tell you when you are working several miles from civilization and didn't know there was poison Ivy on the trees (which were also covered with Kudzu) makes for a very interesting couple of weeks). OH the horrid memory!!!!!!!!

Cool form and the grain definition is fantastic.

Ross

Scott Lux
02-28-2008, 12:20 AM
I've got a small microwave in the garage for drying wood. As long as I don't rush it, it's great.

For the mushrooms, I just let them crack most of the time. Several people have told me they look more "natural" that way. Here are 3 of them. The tallest is about 3 inches.