PDA

View Full Version : Rocker just about finished

Mike Henderson
02-24-2008, 7:21 PM
Here's some pictures of a rocker I've been working on for my wife. She wanted a rocker in cherry with a fairly low back and short rockers so it would fit in a particular place in our house.

I call it a "Contemporary Craftsman" because it has elements of a Craftsman (or Arts and Crafts) chair - such as the side slats - but also has modern touches, such as the sculpted arms, the bent side slats, and the shaped rockers with the build-up to attach to the legs.

Lots of hand work to shape all those things.

Mike

Lee Koepke
02-24-2008, 7:25 PM
very nice.

excellent work, i like the grain flow and the patterns.

Bruce Page
02-24-2008, 7:26 PM
Beautiful work Mike. How many hours do you have in it?

Jim Becker
02-24-2008, 8:44 PM
Purdy!! That's great work, Mike!

Craig D Peltier
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Thats sweet, Good Job.

gary Zimmel
02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Beautiful job!

I like the arts and craft touch..

J. Z. Guest
02-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Look great Mike! It is no easy job to make those nice, organic curves and get them right, is it?

Jeffrey Makiel
02-25-2008, 8:12 AM
Looks complicated. Nicely done.
-Jeff :)

BOB OLINGER
02-25-2008, 9:16 AM
Hey Mike,

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Very nice job.

Jeff Wittrock
02-25-2008, 5:00 PM
Nice looking chair!

I like the way the grain follows the shape of the head rest. Did you use laminations to make the rockers?

Barry Bruner
02-25-2008, 6:26 PM
Great looking rocker, I always seem to really like your work. Barry Bruner

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 6:28 PM
Looks comfy, Mike! Nicely executed. :)

Scot Ferraro
02-25-2008, 6:50 PM
Hi Mike,

That is gorgeous and very well done. Kudos! Did you make up the plan yourself or did you buy it?

Alan Tolchinsky
02-25-2008, 7:17 PM
That's beautiful! We're going to have to start referring to you as "Sam" as in Maloof. Thanks for sharing.

Frank Stolten
02-26-2008, 1:41 AM
Very nice. I'm not a fan of Arts & Crafts style but I like the way you added some curves and softening elements to make it a very interesting and attractive piece. I really like the resulting combination.

Mike Henderson
02-26-2008, 2:03 AM
Hi Mike,

That is gorgeous and very well done. Kudos! Did you make up the plan yourself or did you buy it?
Thanks, everyone for your kind comments.

Regarding the plan, I designed it myself based loosely on a picture I saw. This is actually the third one I built based on the same design. I did the first one when a young friend I've known a long time and his wife were pregnant. I asked him if he wanted me to make a cradle for him but he said they had a cradle that passed down to them from his wife's family. Then he asked me to make them a rocking chair in the craftsman style to match their other furniture. I'm not a big fan of craftsman furniture (too rectilinear) so I made it with some curves. On the next two I added more curves and sculpting.

My next rocker will be a more modern style, however.

Mike