PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp 3000 Motor Noise?

Alan Tolchinsky
02-24-2008, 6:38 PM
Hi All, I just got one of these and it works fantastic! I sharpened one of my chisels like a razor and it's fast. But I wonder about this motor noise. It's like a metallic clacky clack sound from somewhere. It seems to go away when I apply pressure to the disk. Anybody else have this noise?

dan grant
02-24-2008, 7:04 PM
not on mine

Brian Dormer
02-24-2008, 7:13 PM
No. Mine's very quiet. Maybe something on the drive belt?

Alan Tolchinsky
02-24-2008, 8:44 PM
I'm beginning to think this is a defective unit. It's not quiet at all. But I like it so much that I'm not giving up on getting a good one.

Dave Falkenstein
02-24-2008, 9:47 PM
Mine is new too and there is a small amount of gear noise. Since the disc turns slowly, there is some gearing in the unit, and I think that is what I hear on mine.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-24-2008, 9:52 PM
Hi Dave, Mine is making a fair amount of noise. I'm just concerned about long term usage. At least it carries a 2 year warranty with it.

Doug Shepard
02-25-2008, 5:22 AM
Call them up and hold the phone to it while running and see what they say.

Ken Massingale
02-25-2008, 8:12 AM
Mine had that noise. It's probably the fan blade lightly touching as it turns. Call support and they will walk you thru taking care of it.
ken

Mike Goetzke
02-25-2008, 9:12 AM
Alan - I used mine for the first time this weekend. I only had a slight ticking noise when I applied a vision disk. Like you I was able to get 5 flat chisels that were terribly hollow ground (by me) to razor sharp condition. Yes, I was able to shave the hairs on my arm like the video. It's taking me more time to get my lathe gouge to shape, but, again I think it's due to the poor shape I sharpened this tool to in the first place.

Let us know what you find out.

Mike

Alan Tolchinsky
02-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Good idea Doug and Ken. And yes Mike, the Work Sharp does get things " Scary Sharp". I'm shaving some arm hairs too.

Ellen Benkin
02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Mine seems noisy, too. Like you, I've had such a good time sharpening that I just ignore it. Let us know what happens if you contact Work Sharp.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-25-2008, 1:30 PM
Ellen, I'm going to call them today or tomorrow and I'll post what I find here.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-26-2008, 5:18 PM
Hi All, I called about the noise and this is what they told me: There are two black nuts under the "glass plate area". Loosen these and push them toward the short end of the machine. That's toward the sharpening port end. There are two other black nuts outside the "glass plate" area. You don't loosen those but you are pushing the other nuts AWAY from these. I hope this is clear. It must be a common problem because they knew what it was immediately. It was easy to do with some trial and error and it's a lot quieter now.

Ray Scheller
02-26-2008, 5:36 PM
Just got mine a week ago and it's noise free.