PDA

View Full Version : New 6" Blast Gates

Boyd Gathwright
03-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi Everybody,
After spending a good bit of time collecting all that I needed and conversing with Terry and doing my daily duties; including running to the doctor’s (mostly for my wife) I finally have arrived at the finished product, ready for the next step, assembly on the Dust Collection system. Here are some pics I took along the way. :)

Tyler Howell
03-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi Everybody,
After spending a good bit of time collecting all that I needed and conversing with Terry and doing my daily duties; including running to the doctor’s (mostly for my wife) I finally have arrived at the finished product, ready for the next step, assembly on the Dust Collection system. Here are some pics I took along the way. :)

Those are great Boyd. In Living color too.
Nice work

Terry Hatfield
03-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Boyd,

Gee, I never thought of blastgates as woodworking!!! It looks like you have taken them to a new level!!! Nice job. I can't wait to see what the system looks like done.

t

Joe Bourbois
03-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Boyd, those are some sharp looking blast gates. Well done.

Jim Becker
03-13-2004, 4:51 AM
Wow! This is the second time in little more than a week that I've been impressed with blast gates! First, Fred's in his shop (soon to be photographed and posted as far as I know) and now your sleak beauties. Great job!

Fred Voorhees
03-13-2004, 9:37 AM
Boyd, those starter collars look identical to mine. The flanges are exactly like those on my five inch gates. I have posted my gate picks on the board this morning and you can compare them to yours. And isn't it obvious right away that they would work perfectly? Here is a pic of one of my five inch gates. The flange sure does look the same.

Chris Padilla
03-13-2004, 2:30 PM
Gents,

Tell us about the flanges...what are they from?

Boyd Gathwright
03-13-2004, 2:37 PM
Hi Fred,
Nice looking Gates. What I like about yours is the built-in right angle support. That makes it handy to mount just about anywhere you want to place it and it has it’s own reinforcement as well. One of my concerns in constructing my blast gates was a low profile - wanted to make them as compact as possible. That makes obstructions and interference a whole lot less. Also, keeps aggravations to a minimum (If you know what I mean). The functionality of both yours and my gates would be I would think about the same unless there is a design flaw. I included some of my construction pics that I thought would be of benefit. When I redesigned or modified the blast gates I made them to accept both the small and the large 6” HVAC ducts as pointed out in the pics and as so marked. I personally prefer the smaller profile HVAC to the larger one. Not only are they easier to work with but also, they are less expensive and a lot less metal to cut. If it becomes necessary in the future to go to the larger, longer HVAC duct, the gates are already sized to accept them. Just a matter of unscrewing the short (in-length) HVAC and installing the larger (in-length) HVAC ducking and you are done.

I am looking forward to seeing your completed system.

Good Luck

Boyd :)

Boyd, those starter collars look identical to mine. The flanges are exactly like those on my five inch gates. I have posted my gate picks on the board this morning and you can compare them to yours. And isn't it obvious right away that they would work perfectly? Here is a pic of one of my five inch gates. The flange sure does look the same.

Terry Hatfield
03-13-2004, 2:53 PM
Gents,

Tell us about the flanges...what are they from?

Chris,

Most any HVAC supplier should have them.

t

Fred Voorhees
03-13-2004, 3:26 PM
Yep Boyd, that collar on the left with all of the metal tabs is the one that I used. I simply cut off the tabs and a part of the collar so that what was left of that side of the flange fit right down into the hole in the gate structure.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, you know what I see here?
These fellows are having a blast constructing blast gates that will be a blast to operate.
Very nice work, guys.
Daniel :cool:
Well someone had to say it!

Terry Hatfield
03-14-2004, 2:11 PM
These fellows are having a blast constructing blast gates that will be a blast to operate.
Very nice work, guys.

LOL....paaa...duumm....pummm...Good one Daniel.

t

Boyd Gathwright
03-14-2004, 2:58 PM
Well for my half of the Blast Gates, I am having a Blasting Good Time.

A Blasting Thanks to All.

:D Boyd :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
Very nice work, guys.

LOL....paaa...duumm....pummm...Good one Daniel.

t