PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box or Covered Bowl

Jerry Allen
02-24-2008, 6:03 PM
Here's a lidded box (or covered bowl) I just did on my new Jet 1442.
It's sycamore with a maple knob. 4.5" dia. x 3" tall. Finish is BLO and Zinser shellac, not mixed, both friction finished.
Nice tight fit so the knob had to be a little bigger than I wanted it to be.
Got decent grain match by fighting the blank with a thin parting tool.
Probably won't try that again anytime soon.

The Jet 1442 is sure a pleasure to use over my 1236 and 1014.
What a difference!
I struggled deciding between a Jet 1642 which I couldn't really afford, and a Grizzly G0462 and the Jet 1442. Had enough left over for a new chuck and some accessories. Maybe I'll move up later, but this should be good for a few years worth. I can live with a Reeves for now.
Definitely worth the difference over the G0462 just in the weight, finish, and details like the 4" tail with etched scale, spindle lock, etc. My local Rockler store gave me 10% off, so it came in below $900 with tax.

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 6:10 PM
The 1442 is a real nice lathe.

I did about the same thing I bought a Jet mini then the 1236 then the 1442 with 3 old Deltas in there too.
(I have 6 lathes at the moment)

I'm gonna go for the GOLD soon though.

Another nice looking peice you have done.

I like this one as well.
Good job, and Congrats on the new JET!

Bill Bolen
02-24-2008, 8:38 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. I turn on the 1442 also. Keep looking for a reason to upgrade but keep finding myself totally satsified with the 1442...Nice covered bowl. Using the thin parting tool really paid off. Outstanding grain match...Nice work...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2008, 8:47 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Jerry. That is a fine looking lidded box. Really nice wood and form.

Nathan Hawkes
02-24-2008, 9:25 PM
Was it turned green or dry? I just cut a 14-15" dia. x 14' log into a bunch of lengths for bowl blanks, and I've heard from a cabinetmaker friend of mine that it moves around a LOT when drying. Mine is beautifully spalted, and I think it'd make beautiful boxes and bowls, but I'm leery of major warps. Thanks for any info you have.

Tom Sherman
02-25-2008, 9:02 AM
A very nice covered bowl/box Jerry.

Jerry Allen
02-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks folks.

Nathan, this was turned from dry sycamore that I cut a few years ago.
Before I retired, I had a house in Torrance, CA, in a neighborhood that had 50 year old sycamores, some with 2-3 foot trunks. I saved as much as I could when I left. Since I left, the city removed all the trees because they were tearing up the sidewalks, etc. Sorry I didn't get wind of the removal. What a waste--they just chip it all up! Criminal in my book.
It's great to turn dry or wet. I have turned wet and dryed it in a microwave, or thick and set aside for a month or two. Or waited a few years to dry.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Very nice box Jerry! Love the grain and color! Congrats on your new lathe as well! Always nicer to turn on a lathe that is easy to use!