PDA

View Full Version : The Dalmation - a lidded box exercise

Arlan Ten Kley
02-24-2008, 5:00 PM
I've been wanting to try making a lidded box....but had no dry wood! So I had a small piece of Chinese Tallow that is starting to stain or spalt(?), about the right length, so used it. It is not dry, but the wood is quite stable so was the best candidate. I know the fit of the lid won't last, but I thought I'd go through the exercise anyway. I did sand it a bit, but did not finish as it is a thing of temporary beauty! My LOML liked it and put it in the china hutch....I'll be able to easily watch it go through its transformation!

You can see the marks left by the chuck on the inside of the lid....!

3 1/2" tall 2 7/8" wide

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 6:05 PM
Nicely done I like the form and details.

The wood looks great too.

Perfect naming too.

Bill Bolen
02-24-2008, 8:40 PM
You did a great job on this. The form really fits the wood and size. I really like it!..Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2008, 8:45 PM
Great job on the box Arlan. Great wood and form.

Tom Sherman
02-25-2008, 8:57 AM
That is a nice box Arlan, I like the shape too.

Arlan Ten Kley
02-26-2008, 8:45 AM
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. The box is still functional. The lid has shrunk more than the box making for a loose fit at this point. I very well may be able to eventually finish it to serve its intended purpose...

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2008, 9:23 AM
Love the wood! Great form and detail work Arlan! Hope you'll be able to finish this one - it's a keeper!

Keith Burns
02-26-2008, 9:30 AM
Nice box Arlan !! I turned some Tallow last night for the first time and it is nice to work with.