PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum clamping system question

Greg Crawford
02-24-2008, 4:27 PM
I'd like to set up a vacuum clamping system, mainly for router templates. I searched SMC and found a few answers, but have one specific question I couldn't find.

If I have a tank (I think it's 5 or 6 gallons), how big should the vacuum pump be? I don't want to use a venturi system with my compressor, and have seen A/C vacuum pumps that don't cost much money. I was wondering if they would work.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I'm going to get.

David DeCristoforo
02-24-2008, 5:55 PM
I have a 1HP pump motor on mine with 5 gal tank. But be careful here because the tank has to be designed for vacuum and those have different specs than compressor tanks. Actually a larger pump with a tank will not draw a vacuum any "better" than a smaller pump with no tank. It will just draw the vacuum faster. As with compressors, it's all about CFM.

YM

Greg Crawford
02-25-2008, 8:55 AM
Thanks for the info. The tank I have available is a compressor tank, so I'm glad I posted.

Greg

Steve knight
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a small maybe a 1/6" hp gast pump that will suck all the air out of my 4' long 4" abs tank I made in a minute or less. it works great on my cnc router.
You can also make a vac table using a shopvac that will work very well that does not need gaskets and will work with more varied shapes.