PDA

View Full Version : Festool Rotex 125 Help

Rick Jeschke
02-24-2008, 4:02 PM
We'll I'm not sure if it is operator error or not but I just purchased a Rotex 125 sander and used it for the first time today and it is by far the hardest sander to control that I own :eek:. I was using it with a Fein Turbo vac sanding baltic birch plywood with 120 grit sandpaper. Needless to say I was very disappointed. The sander felt like it kept wanting to bounce around and was hard to keep flat and smooth. Any ideas on what might be going on? Also, anyone else have any issue with the cord staying attached? It didn't seem to want to twist on and stay.

Bill Wyko
02-24-2008, 4:14 PM
I have the ES-125. I do have the problem of the cord comming off too. As far as its sand ability, it works great. My PC shakes my hands so bad they go numb and it's very loud too. The es125 is smooth quiet and removes material nicely. Is your vac variable? I use the CT33 and only use it about 1/2 suction. Turned all the way up it'll start sticking in one place.

Steve Roxberg
02-24-2008, 4:18 PM
Rick and Bill,

Your cord if properly installed will never fall off. When they are brand new they are very stiff to rotate but can be rotated until they lock into position.

I would suggest that you put the cord into the sander, and then rotate it past the point of feeling comfortable. You'll be thinking no way is this going to rotate further and it will snap into place and not come out.

It will be easier as you do it a few times, but don't be afraid of breaking it.

Reducing the suction may help on the bouncing, if you don't have a Festool Vac that allows you to reduce the suction you can accomplish the same thing by introducing a leak into the hose.

You also mention the Rotex, are you in a random orbit mode, or the more aggresive mode? The more aggressive mode will be harder to control.

Rick Jeschke
02-24-2008, 4:23 PM
I'll try twisting the cord farther. Was in the fine sanding mode. The Fein sander I'm using doesn't have a suction control so I may need to experiment with this to see if I am getting too much suction.

Jesse Cloud
02-24-2008, 4:24 PM
I have the Rotex 150 and it can be a very aggressive sander. All Steve & Bill's advice is right on. You might also experiment with changing the speed on the sander.

Dave Falkenstein
02-24-2008, 6:32 PM
Too much suction on the sander from the vac will cause exactly the problem you mentioned. The sander "sticks" to the surface". Figure out a way to bleed some air, or slow down the vac motor. Or get a Festool vac. :) :) :)