PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Sealing/winter time and outside?

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 3:29 PM
I picked up a bunch of walnut and want to start sealing it.

I have NO room in the shop to bring it in.

It's 37 outside right now, and suppose to be in the upper 20's to low 30's all week.

Rain showers expected tomorrow, snow showers on Tues., PM snow on Wed. typical winter wheather. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowsad.gif

How long will the ends take to dry outside so I can flip the logs over and coat the other end?

Will rain wash it off?

Do I cover the logs with those cheap blue or brown tarps for long storage?

Tips and advice needed, I dont want to loose the haul to cracking. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowno.gif

Curt Fuller
02-24-2008, 4:07 PM
Yes, rain will wash it off if it hasn't had a chance to dry before it rains. It's a water emulsion so until it drys it needs to stay somewhere out of the rain. And at those temps it takes quite a while to dry. But if it's that cold and wet for a while it probably won't crack either. You could seal it and cover it or wait for a nicer day to seal it.

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 6:28 PM
Thanks Curt,

I'm gonna start sealing and stacking and keeping them covered.

I only have a gallon and a quart on hand, but I did just place an order with U-C Coatings online for a 5gallon unit of Anchor Seal, it was only $57.00 Including Shipping.

Even that might not be enough, i'll order more if needed, they said it would be shipped out "next business day" so I should have it soon. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif

Matt Hutchinson
02-24-2008, 6:34 PM
I would wait if I were you. I have had similar issues here in Grand Rapids, MI. The weather is not much different. Postponing the sealing of those logs won't hurt them. I have a large haul of walnut, as well as box elder, and when freshly cut both species have a ton of water. I have had no checking problems, and they have been outside for a couple months unsealed. I just cut enough for what I am about to turn, take it inside, and leave the rest outside. Once is warms up I will take on the task of sealing everything.

Hutch

By the way, they have remained in my driveway unprotected. They are covered with snow and ice, and there aren't any problems.

Russ Peters
02-24-2008, 6:46 PM
glad I'm not in Chicago anymore... not oly does it sound cold and misserable but eveyone around there seems to be getting walnut piled on them too... Just kidding I am jelous of the walnut but not that cold white stuff

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 7:35 PM
I wanted to haul as much as possible so only the larger pieces were cut longer than their diameter in case I had to make 2" fresh cuts to remove any checking.

You think the smaller pieces that I didn't leave extra long will be OK for awhile?

Everything is still in the trailer and covered with one of those cheap silver plastic tarps.

I drove a long way once for a very small load of cherry and it cracked up so bad ,I had to just cut the logs up into 3"x3"x different lengths got some at 4"x4" too but after that experiance i'm very leary now about not sealing.

I put a long day into getting this and would really hate to end up with nothing more than walnut firewood.:eek:

Curt Fuller
02-24-2008, 11:51 PM
When in doubt, seal it up. Just keep it out of the rain or the sealer will be wasted. Another product I've used to seal logs is this stretch wrap stuff
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/444327/Office-Brand-Stretch-Wrap-Film-x/

It seals the wood to well and it will start getting moldy after a short time. But for a short term solution it's quick and easy.

Scott Hubl
02-25-2008, 12:17 AM
That looks interesting but for the amount of wood I have would be cosly to wrap them.

I will seal in a few days watching the wheather for a dry spell.

I have a 5 gallon unit of Anchor Seal on its way.

Going to pile them outside on plastic pallets I got from a food chain here.

Some say pepsi and some say miller light they should work great for keeping off the ground and letting air flow under too.

Behind my shed were its shaded by a tree and only gets early morning sun, i'll cover with the plastic tarps too.

Thanks for the info.

Matt Hutchinson
02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, I have to agree that you can never be too safe. If the weather isn't too bad, and you can cover the pile, then I wouldn't fault you for sealing them.

Another thing to do is simply monitor the pile. Inspect the logs that are the most exposed every other day. Even if the endgrain does start all those little cracks, you have not really lost any material. I have found that even if I seal after those cracks have started, the sealer is still really effective. There is still so much moisture in the log...

However, if good weather holds, and it's warm enough, I would say go for it: Seal them suckers!

Hutch

Jerry Allen
02-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Scott, you should be fine temporarily with stacking and the tarp until it is dry enough to paint.
Shrink wrap works well, but as stated will start to mold. The spalting effect is nice, but the mold flies all over the place when turning if you don't clean it up first. Probably not good breath either.
I try to keep my limbs long so cracking in the middle is usually not a problem on oak.
I have used old latex paint with good results. Sometimes you can get gallons at HD or Lowes for $1 or a can which were mixed and not picked up.