PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw vs X5 Unisaw

John Piwaron
03-12-2004, 8:20 PM
What's the difference between the "regular" Unisaw and the X5 version?

I've looked on Delta's website. There's some diff with the switch (magnetic vs full voltage), and the motor looks to spin faster on an X5, but beyond that, it looks the same.

BTW, what's the difference between a magnetic or full voltage starter?

The X5 seems to have some "freebies" and coupons thrown in, but beyond all that, is there more? Are the castings equal? For the amount of extra money they want, I'd hope the castings were beefier. Somehow I doubt it.

So what does the extra 3 or 4 hundred dollars get a purchaser?

Jim DeLaney
03-12-2004, 9:33 PM
I don't have answers for most of your questions, but regarding the switch/starter, a 'full voltage' switch is just a plain old switch. Two positions - ON and OFF. With a magnetic starter switch, a relay coil holds the switch contacts in. If you lose power (blown fuse/circuit breaker or an outage) the relay contacts will release and the saw won't suddenly (and sometimes dangerously) restart when the power comes back on. Much safer.

The magnetic starter function is actually a bit more complicated than the above explanation, but that's its working theory anyway.

On the motor speed - I doubt there's any rmp difference between old and new. The pulley ratio might be different, though. That would account for any blade speed difference, if there is one.

John Piwaron
03-12-2004, 9:41 PM
a 'full voltage' switch is just a plain old switch. Two positions - ON and OFF. With a magnetic starter switch, a relay coil holds the switch contacts in. If you lose power (blown fuse/circuit breaker or an outage) the relay contacts will release and the saw won't suddenly restart when the power comes back on. Much safer.

On the motor speed - I doubt there's any rmp difference between old and new. The pulley ratio might be different, though. That would account for any blade speed difference, if there is one.

Thanks. It looks like some accessories, and a long warrantee is what one gets for their money. That doesn't seem worth it.

OTOH, if the basic structure of the saw is heavier, more rigid, then maybe that would be something in it's favor.

I hope someone else will chime in with more details.

Greg Heppeard
03-12-2004, 11:05 PM
The difference is really just a 5 year warranty...most of the rest is about the same as the limited edition...except you have to order the mobile base (or whatever) and the few items you mentioned...the biggest difference is the price

John Piwaron
03-13-2004, 12:17 AM
The difference is really just a 5 year warranty...most of the rest is about the same as the limited edition...except you have to order the mobile base (or whatever) and the few items you mentioned...the biggest difference is the price

That's what I thought, but I've got to ask to be sure.

Here's my logic for NOT buying a long warranty - if my Craftsman TS can go 15 or so years with the kind of use I give it and have no annoying problems, then surely a Unisaw would be at least as good in terms of bothersome failures. A saw isn't hugely complex like a car or some kinds of electronics.

scott spencer
03-13-2004, 9:22 AM
Gotta agree with John. Since there was a price increase associated with the longer warranty, I think it ends up to Delta's benefit more than ours....same as any extended warranty. If you've ever studied reliability curves, there's a phenomon known as an "infant mortality rate" for most devices and machines. That means that if there's something defective that's going to break, it will almost always break very early on in it's "life". If the saw runs well for several months, the odds are hugely in your favor that it will perform that way until something wears out due to normal use....and that's usually a very long time with well built, well designed cast iron machines. So, IMO there's not much need to pay extra for the insurance policy.

Chuck Radgowski
03-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I Paid 1749.00 for my X5. Inside was a 100.00 off my next purchase. I bought a DC. which I was going to buy anyway. so I got the better switch and 3 years extended warranty AND a coupon book for an additional 2000.00 off of various other delta products for an extra fee of 149.00. I am just starting to outfit and upgrade my wood working shop so I considered the extra money well worth it.
Chuck
ps the motor is 3450 RPM the blade is 4000 RPM as ussual

Bob Johnson2
03-03-2005, 1:02 PM
Not sure which Regular Uni your looking at but my Regular 50" one came with just the one wing, I think the X5 has 2. Other then that I don't recall any difference which is why I went with the Reg version.

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 1:46 PM
At the WW show, they include the mobile base in the deal, plus 10% off the going rate, plus the $50 rebate, plus the free tool. $100 rebate also applies if you buy another delta tool for $250 or any number of accessories that total up to that amount. For me that worked out to buying the bies splitter, and the delta outfeed table (30-502), Two things I wanted to get anyway.
I'm going to get the PC690 router as my "free" tool so I'll now have three. One plunge, one D-handle, and one for the table.

Bill Lewis
03-03-2005, 1:51 PM
Actually, I may be wrong, I think it is either the $50 rebate, or the free tool. Either way I'll take another router.

And yes, the 52" model (uni or bies) has dual CI wings.

Chuck Radgowski
03-03-2005, 2:05 PM
I was responding to the post. from Greg Heppeard which said "The difference is really just a 5 year warranty...most of the rest is about the same as the limited edition."
So I did my additional comparison using the Limited Edition which retails for 1499.00 on woodworker.com. I was trying to explain the logic that pushed me to the X5 over the special edition even though it was 250.00 more( out of pocket) . Mainly I wanted the coupons. So I could buy more tools as I upgrade my shop.
My thinking went like this 1749(X5) - 100(rebate) - (50) switch - 100.00 (right extension wing) = 1499.00 (special edition) If your shop is all set up then you do not need the coupons so get the special edition. In my first post I fogot about the right extension and the switch so thats why I included them here. You pay for what you get extra on the X5. I still like the deal.

I love my UNI. I have everything dialed in to around .004 (1/256) accuracy. I have seen other posts saying they are at .001 or .002 Maybe if I get a dial indicator I will give it a shot. - - -.004 is as close as I can get with a starret ruler and old eyes.

Jim Andrew
03-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Just received my new uni today. Got the 36 831LA, plus the 50" rails for
1500. So I have a set of 30" extra. Only one extension, for the left, and
the tableboard and legs for the 30". So I need a new tableboard, or just
have to add 20" to the one I have. Too bad they didn't send an extra fence
too, could use it on my old cman.
The guys are right, it is the 5 year warranty and the extras. Saving money
was more important to me, I want to buy other brand stuff besides Delta.
Jim