PDA

View Full Version : New Bowl Shape for Me

Tim A. Mitchell
02-24-2008, 3:15 PM
Well, got a chance to turn yesterday. Rather than finish the last one I had going (want to make a doughnut chuck), I started a new one. The way I was turning to get the bark off, I decided to reverse the normal curve on ythe outside. Had some tearout, especially on the bottom, but I still like the form of it. Just over 7 inches in diameter, with a 1 7/8 inch foot.

Critiques welcome.

David Walser
02-24-2008, 3:52 PM
Tim,

I like the shape. The shape doesn't hold as much air as another, more traditional, bowl shape might, but it's pretty and it shows off the wood.

Your bowl reminds me of the first bowl I made (at a one-day class at Woodcraft in Tucson). You intended the shape; I didn't. (I was concentrating on "following the bevel" and wasn't looking at the shape I was getting. The instructor didn't notice until I'd run out of enough wood for a more rounded shape.) I still liked the way my bowl turned out and I like yours, too. Mine holds a bunch of pebbles from a trip to the beach we made not long after I made the bowl. It sits in one of my wife's glass curio cabinets -- we really do like the bowl!

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2008, 4:06 PM
Nice looking bowl Tim! Sort of a trumpet flare to it! Good looking wood! Once you get your donut chuck made you can always touch up the bottom of this one to remove what little tear out there is. Nice work - looking forward to seeing your next one!

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2008, 9:33 PM
Tim that is a great looking bowl. Well done.

Toney Robertson
02-24-2008, 9:43 PM
I like it. As a matter of fact I am working on one now that has a very similar shape.

Toney

Jon Lanier
02-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I like it. I think if you were to do the same shape over and over again that would get boring and un-imaginative. Keep up the good work.

Tom Sherman
02-25-2008, 9:09 AM
Very nice Tim, I like the shape looks like you have a winner.

Tim A. Mitchell
02-25-2008, 1:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Toney, would like to see the similar one you are working on. Please post when done.

Randy Hoch
02-25-2008, 2:40 PM
I too like the bowl. What is the wood? I'm just starting out and am not too familiar with wood identification yet, so I really like to see these pictures along with all the info. Thanks

Randy Hoch

robert hainstock
02-25-2008, 3:11 PM
I love it when someone dares to be different. I do aggree with Steve on the foot owwwy cleanup. I'd use my round scrapper and lightly dish the bottom. I also agree with the previous post, I've been at this forever, but I'd like to know your wood choice. :):):)
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-25-2008, 3:28 PM
It's a really pretty wood, highlighted by a really great form! I just saw one similar yesterday (here) and I think I'm going to do one of those this weekend.

Tim A. Mitchell
02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Sorry I forgot to say what wood it is. Once again it is Aspen for me.Hopefully I will get some different wood at the FIL's place this summer. Will have to fit it in with the drill press from the step dad, 2 kids and the wife, though