PDA

View Full Version : corian questions

julie Graf
02-24-2008, 2:46 PM
hey there,

I am getting ready to cut a hole out of corian for a cooktop. I have read about adding supports underneath, of plywood or mdf - but my question is, how do you connect them to the corian? glue? and what kind?
also, i have read that nailing or screwing into corian will crack it - so what is the best way to connect the countertop to the base cabinets?

thanks,
Julie

Jim Becker
02-24-2008, 2:53 PM
Installers use a silicone adhesive, as far as I know, to adhere the counter to the cabinet. If your reinforcing components are also made of Corian, you should use the Corian adhesive/solvent in the appropriate color for your counter.

keith ouellette
02-24-2008, 3:11 PM
Like Jim said. There is an adhesive to stick corian to corian. You could cut the supports from the scrap piece when you mack the cut out for the cook top and glue/laminate the strips around the opening to support it.

If it is covered by the cook top and won't show I think you can get away with quick set epoxy. Epoxy is strong stuff.

James Stokes
02-24-2008, 7:57 PM
There are a couple ways to do it that I know. Cut your opening short of the corners a couple inches. Then when you get the sides cut stick a helper under the sink to support it and cut the corners. The second way is cut a piece of plywood the size of your box opening, put it underneath the corion and anchor that to the sides of your box with toenail screws, then cut.

Bill Wurzer
03-09-2008, 6:40 PM
You may want to have a certified Corian fabricator do this for you, as Dupont (and every other solid surface Manufacturer) has very specific requirements for cut-outs regarding the warranty (ie: spacing of cooktop edge for expansion, corner blocks, seams, use of heat reflective tape, etc.) Simply using a jigsaw is enough to void the warranty. I don't know if it's still under warranty, but you may want to consider this should there be any future problems. you may want to consider this simply to avoid any future problems (at worst, having to replace the top entirely). Hope this helps...

Steve knight
03-09-2008, 9:14 PM
as far as gluing epoxy is whats used to bond corian to corian.

James A. Wolfe
03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Take a close look under your Corian countertop. Most solid surface countertops are fabricated on a substrate of MDF or plywood. The edges are then built up from strips glued on with a specific adhesive for the brand of material you're using. The material is adhered to the substrate using silicone adhesive and the attaching hardware gets screwed into the substrate. The previous post was correct regarding warranty issues. DuPont will not cover any countertop modified in any way by anyone other than a factory trained and authorized service person.

Jim