PDA

View Full Version : Once again the question is...Who has used the Grizzly slow speed sharpener?

John Shuk
02-24-2008, 1:42 PM
I'm wondering if at this point anyone here has taken the plunge. I don't want to be the guinea pig but it looks like a good deal. I've always planned on holding out for a Tormek but the price is alluring. It would be nice to get some positive feedback on the machine and it's jigs before spending. I'd hate to buy it and like it but have to replace it down the road.
I know there are other style sharpening systems out there that folks swear by. However I want to do more than chisels and turning tools. From what I see the Tormek style systems are what I may be looking for from a versatility standpoint. So I'd like to stick to experience with the Grizzly.

julie Graf
02-24-2008, 2:03 PM
just got one, setting it up in the days to come - I'll post an update when i start using it!
I will mainly be using it for 20"planer and 12"jointer blades

John Shuk
02-24-2008, 3:15 PM
That's great Julie. I'm looking to of course use it for the general woodworking tools but I also plan on using it for my kitchen knives among other things.

julie Graf
02-24-2008, 4:45 PM
just sharpened a chisel with it, and it seems to be really nice. that being said, i don't have any experience with the tormek or other similar machines, just regular bench grinders. the wheel spins true.

it's made in germany, which surprised me for some reason.

Rod Upfold
02-24-2008, 8:31 PM
I have the Canadian version - same as Grizzly's. To me it was one of my more dummer purchases that I have made...I am replacing it with a Work Sharp 3000.

Busy Bee version - http://tinyurl.com/2sajcx

If you lived in SE Michigan, I would sell it to you - fairly cheap.

Rod

Shiraz Balolia
02-24-2008, 8:38 PM
I have the Canadian version - same as Grizzly's. To me it was one of my more dummer purchases that I have made...I am replacing it with a Work Sharp 3000.

Busy Bee version - http://tinyurl.com/2sajcx

If you lived in SE Michigan, I would sell it to you - fairly cheap.

Rod

What you have is not what the original poster is inquiring about.

This is what is being inquired about:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10010

Rod Upfold
02-25-2008, 6:29 AM
Sorry...thought that this was the one John was talking about...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slow-Speed-Grinder/G1036

On the list of the dumb things that I have purchased.

Rod

fred woltersdorf
02-25-2008, 7:01 AM
i've got the Sheppach version and i'm not too happy with that purchase. i probably will buy the ws 3000. it was on sale at Amazon for $160, but i don't know if it still is.

Rod Upfold
02-25-2008, 8:45 AM
i've got the Sheppach version and i'm not too happy with that purchase. i probably will buy the ws 3000. it was on sale at Amazon for $160, but i don't know if it still is.

You can get WS3000 at Hartville Tools by calling their toll free number for $169 and by saying you are a Woodnet member and also fee shipping.

John Shuk
02-25-2008, 8:56 PM
I'd like to know whether the Grizzly works with jigs from other manufacturers. It would be nice to be able to mix and match.

Bryan Berguson
02-25-2008, 9:38 PM
I'd like to know whether the Grizzly works with jigs from other manufacturers. It would be nice to be able to mix and match.

I bet there is a guy on here who can answer that...:) I'm interested in one of these sharpeners myself but I'm waiting to see what the consensus is.

Bryan

John Shuk
03-10-2008, 3:39 PM
Just wanted to bump this.

Question. The Jet version of this type sharpener had a lot of folks jumping on it rather quickly. Why not the Grizz version?

Eric Haycraft
03-10-2008, 3:53 PM
Just wanted to bump this.

Question. The Jet version of this type sharpener had a lot of folks jumping on it rather quickly. Why not the Grizz version?

I looked at this and couldn't find any reviews online for the Grizzly. I had heard not bad, but only fair things about the Jet. I figured that I would play it safe, so last week I bought the bullet and ordered a tormek ultimate. One of the things about the Grizz is that it comes bare bones and you can easily spend a few hundred more getting the required jigs.

Eddie Simmons
03-10-2008, 4:37 PM
Purchase a Jet grinder two months ago. It take me about a month to learn how to use it. I think as time goes along I will learn more and will be a great tool. I purchased tormek jigs and some jet jigs, both work well. I have a shop with six grizzly tools in it, just thought that I would give a different brand a try.
Good luck,
Eddie

Paul Coffin
04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
What kind of sharpening will you do with the worksharp? I want to sharpen jointer and planer blades. but I do not see any jigs for holding these on the workshop web site.

Paul