PDA

View Full Version : Privacy fence: Removable posts

Harry Hagan
02-24-2008, 1:31 PM
This spring I’m planning on installing a fence between my house and the adjacent neighbor’s fence. Vehicle access through this area will require removal of several sections including the fence posts. I’m thinking the way to go would be a good sized hole filled with concrete and a removable post anchor that can be detached from the concrete to prevent tire damage. Any suggestions on where to purchase this type of anchor or a better solution would be appreciated.

glenn bradley
02-24-2008, 1:53 PM
At the university where I work there are many pieces of square steel tubing recessed into concrete. These accept a flat filler cap when not performing their primary function of supporting fence posts (4x4's). These are just barrier posts about 4 feet tall. I do not know if this method would support a fence panel but the system works well and is swapped between purposes frequently.

Jim Becker
02-24-2008, 2:54 PM
Glenn, that should work as long as the "socket" is deep enough to hold enough fence post to do the job.

M Toupin
02-24-2008, 3:09 PM
A socket and post would seem to be a reasonable solution. The trick is to get a fairly tight fit between the two so the post doesn't have excessive slop and flex or your fence will lean over. The down side of the tight fit is the small gap will quickly fill with debris and all but lock the two pieces together fairly quickly. The fact that your post/socket is at ground level will accelerate the entry of dirt etc. You'll have to take them out frequently and clean them to keep everything working as planed. Another option is to hinge the sections and let them swing out of the way when needed. That's the route I went with mine.

Mike

keith ouellette
02-24-2008, 3:18 PM
How about a piece of pipe embedded in concrete with a weep hole at the bottom. Another piece of pipe, that can slide into or out of the first, with its top set into the post. drill a hole and use epoxy to set the pipe into the post. Grease the end that slides into the pipe set in concrete.

The fence will hold it straight. I wouldn't use square tube steel because you want a tight fit and will want to be able to twist it back and forth if it sticks a little.