PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" mahogany

Brian J Rogalny
02-24-2008, 1:26 PM
Can anyone give me some direction on vector cutting 1/4" mahogany.I got a real good price on 4'x8' sheets, and it is helping me straighten out the warped birch I was using on my laser buzz products when used as backs.I have a unniversal PLS3.60.:mad:

Joe Pelonio
02-24-2008, 2:24 PM
I wouldn't buy it without testing first. I had a customer bring in some African Mahogany that wouldn't cut no matter what I did, it would flame where the beam hit it and continue to burn after it stopped. A terrible mess, and that was just 1/8".

Hopefully what you found is better!

Brian J Rogalny
02-24-2008, 5:54 PM
I cut and burned the 1/8" perfect, but the 1/4" I am down to 1% on speed and it still isn't all the way through.Not sure what else to do.

Joe Pelonio
02-24-2008, 7:05 PM
Mahogany is so dense it may not be possible. A few things I tried that didn't work but might on yours, is to apply transfer tape to it, then wife that down with water to protect the surface. Then adjust the focus to mid-way thru and make another pass or two. Use 30-35 lbs of air assist.

Art Anderson
02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
"then wife that down with water to protect the surface."

Should I just wet 'er hair and use it like a mop, or should I throw her in the shower and use the roll-over approach? :cool:

Art Anderson

George M. Perzel
02-25-2008, 7:48 AM
Hi Brian;
I assume you mean 1/4" mahogany plywood- since you mention 4x8 sheets.
It isn't the wood that's the problem, its the glue. I cut 1/4" mahogany ply all the time with a 60 watt laser running at about 2.5% speed, 95% power, and drop the PPI down to about 100.
It really depends on your material and how it's made-can even have variations in sheets bought at the same time. Solid 1/4" regular mahogany (Philippine or santosa) will cut like butter -most of the time. Then again, there are many varieties of wood called mahogany and some are tough to cut.
If you are cutting large patterns and the wood is warped even slightly, some of the pattern may not cut all the way through because the focus is not right for the warped section. Try cutting sections at a time by refocusing for each section.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Joe Pelonio
02-25-2008, 8:14 AM

Should I just wet 'er hair and use it like a mop, or should I throw her in the shower and use the roll-over approach? :cool:

Art Anderson
OK, so I can't type. :D

Michael Kowalczyk
02-25-2008, 2:24 PM
Can anyone give me some direction on vector cutting 1/4" mahogany.I got a real good price on 4'x8' sheets, and it is helping me straighten out the warped birch I was using on my laser buzz products when used as backs.I have a unniversal PLS3.60.:mad:

Brian,
What kind of 1/8(3mm) birch did you get? The only time I see that(warpage) is if you only clear-coat one side and on Laser Buzz backs you don't need to clear-coat the backs but if you choose to then I would recommend doing front and back but then you have to use more than just wood glue.

Eric Fuller
02-25-2008, 7:11 PM

Art Anderson

:D:D:D Thanks for the laugh!

Garry McKinney
02-27-2008, 5:53 PM
Brian ,

If you are still having problems, perhaps I can help. I cut up to 1/2 mahogany without too much trouble but there are a few ticks I might be able to help you with. Send me a pm . =)

And if you think mahagony is bad , try ebony.

But the best way to cut most african wood is with a scroll saw.

Garry