PDA

View Full Version : Class Report: Inlay With David Marks

Pat Germain
02-24-2008, 1:03 PM
On 23 February, I had the opportunity to participate in an all-day inlay class taught by David Marks. As most woodworkers are aware, David Marks hosted the television show Woodworks which still runs in repeats on DIY Network. And, like most woodworkers, I’m very impressed with David Marks and I’ve learned much from watching his show. I also like his design style. I was looking forward to meeting David and learning from him first hand. I wasn’t disappointed. It was a great class with excellent information and a lot fun to boot in spite of some challenges in the classroom environment.

David Marks is currently touring the US and teaching various classes at Woodcraft stores. The inlay class I attended was in Loveland, Colorado. Before this class, he had taught a few classes at the Denver Woodcraft store. The inlay class had fifteen people, larger than other classes, and a few students had also participated in the Denver classes. (Upon learning this, I joked we could all be like Dead-Heads and follow David Marks around the country in a VW Micro Bus. David seemed to find this quite funny. J )

Upon first meeting David, it became readily apparent he is a very down to earth, regular guy with a passion for teaching as well as woodworking. He quickly began interacting with the students and was glad to field any question at any time. It was also apparent David has a very high tolerance for situations which would frustrate other woodworkers to no end. He mentioned this and also commented on the hundreds of hours he spent on some of his projects, making them completely cost ineffective. Yet, he also pointed out woodworking projects considered “craft” could demand only a mediocre price, but those considered “art” could demand a very high price. He pointed out one example which fetched $20,000 through an art dealer.

The classroom environment was less than optimal. Because the inlay class was so large, we couldn’t fit in the Woodcraft classroom and were relegated to a very large back room storage area. While there was plenty of room, the setup was downright lousy. Many of the hardwoods for sale were in this back room. During the class, people kept wandering through to peruse the wood. Some would talk loudly and a few even dropped boards with a loud, “smack!”. (Apparently, only one customer actually recognized David and lingered a bit.)

David’s work area also presented a few challenges. His main work surface was a not-very-stable folding table. He had to carry in a DeWalt scroll saw from the showroom. A Woodcraft employee was assisting him and she brought in a Festool router with dust collector. A Power-Matic mortising machine was already in place when I arrived.

Another folding table was setup nearby holding picture books featuring many of David’s projects. There were also two turned vessels which he had patined. These vessels were absolutely stunning, (pictures don’t do them justice) obviously worth thousands of dollars and seemed somewhat strange sitting there like museum pieces on a plastic table next to a riser block in a storage room.

To begin, David pulled out his own mortising bit which he had honed and ground. He explained how he had prepared it. There was a big delay when it became obvious the mortising machine was not at all setup for work. He and the assistant had to struggle with it for a long while before he could actually use it. Interestingly, David said he uses his bit in a drill press and not a mortising machine in his shop.

The objective was to cut small holes into some cherry to demonstrate a very detailed inlay technique using metal and colored epoxy. The inlay required cutting some brass and aluminum tubing. Since we were all in the back room, we had to follow David out to the classroom where he used a band saw, then go back to the storage room.

While he was mixing epoxy and adding color, David answered numerous questions about the Woodworks show. He also talked about the many challenges and frustrations with taping it. The show’s producers, Scripps Publishing, owns the show outright. David receives no royalties from the broadcasts or anything else. I asked why the shows were never released on DVD and specifically if there were any legal conflicts involved. He explained there were no conflicts. Scripps owns the shows and simply has no interest in spending time and money to manufacture and release them on DVD. David later mentioned he has produced his own DVD’s, he had a few with him for sale and they were also available at Woodcraft stores as well as his web site. He never brought this up again and it was far from pressured sales pitch.

While the epoxy inlays were drying, David moved on to demonstrate a router technique using a brass inlay kit. Many of the students were familiar with this process, as I’m sure many woodworkers are, but I had never seen it. Also, I think everyone was glad to see it demonstrated by David Marks. At this point, we had another major delay when David realized his brass inlay kit didn’t fit the Festool router. His assistant went to get another base plate insert. While she kept trying multiple inserts which didn’t work, David answered more questions and talked more about the Woodworks show. He shared one particularly funny anecdote about the turtle toy box project. One of the producers brought in his little girl, about 5 or 6, who would be featured at the end of the segment. “Do you think the turtle has a name?” David asked her.

“Yes,” she answered. “His name is Louie. Louie the psycho turtle!” David thought it was funniest thing ever said on the Woodworks show and was disappointed it didn’t make it on the air.

At last the assistant found the right insert plate and David installed the brass inlay bushing. He had a template cut from ¼” MDF. This allowed him to quickly cut a circle into a piece of cherry, then another circle to go inside it from purple heart veneer he had cut on a band saw. He asked what kind of design we’d like to put into another circle inlay. One of the students suggested a kind of Celtic Knot from a pattern book David had.

This design was pretty intricate and proved to be a challenge when David moved on to the scroll saw to demonstrate a double-bevel inlay technique. Then there was another environmental challenge. There simply wasn’t enough light in the storage room to see the detailed drawing David had copied onto a piece of veneer. He had asked for a portable light. I heard one of the Woodcraft staff mention the owner denied this request because he wanted David to hurry up and finish the class.

In a somewhat absurd display, several students had mini flashlights which they literally had to hold over the scroll saw in order for David to see what he was cutting. By this time, it was getting late. The class was scheduled to end at 5:00 PM and the store closed at 6:00. I told David I got the feeling we were getting the bum’s rush. David assured us we could stay late as he did it all the time. About this time, one of the staff came in and interrupted to say, somewhat tersely, that if anyone wanted to buy anything with a 10% student discount, they had to do so now. About half the students had to leave the storage room to buy a few things before the store closed and thus missed a lot of cuts David made on the scroll saw.

As 6:00 was approaching, David wanted to finish up the metal and epoxy inlays. This involved make some cuts on a band saw and going over the surface with a card scraper. Again, we followed David into the classroom. As he went to use the 14” band saw he had used previously, he noticed it had a very sloppy blade. He moved to a larger band saw and made the cuts. Since he was being rushed, he said he could clean up the face with the drum sander. He set up the sander, but he popped the hood just before starting it to inspect the drum and found it to be completely trashed. So, we again went back to the storage room.

As David was going over the face of the cherry with a card scraper, the owner came in to say we had to get out. “You said I could stay as late as I wanted,” David told the owner.

“I said you could stay late. Not the students,” he answered somewhat angrily. I suppose it’s his store and he can do what he wants, but it sure was a lousy, and apparently uncommon, situation

Obviously, the way the class ended was downright awkward due to being rushed out the door. To be fair, I should mention I had invited David to lunch. We went to a nearby Red Robin restaurant, ate some sandwiches and came back. One of the students seemed annoyed that we had taken too long for lunch (the same student who wanted David to inlay the Celtic Knot). I didn’t think we had been gone long at all and lunch was nothing compared to the numerous delays due to a poor classroom environment and lack of setup ahead of time.

In spite of the environmental and managerial challenges at my particular class, I recommend anyone who has the opportunity to take a class with David Marks should do so. Even the most advanced woodworker can learn from him and enjoy the experience. I’m reminded of the question which often comes up about politicians; would you want to sit down and have a beer with him? In the case of David Marks, the answer is an enthusiastic, “Absolutely!”

Vic Damone
02-24-2008, 1:23 PM
Interesting account of the day. Thanks

Vic

Jason Scott
02-24-2008, 1:27 PM
Wow, i'm jealous, that is awesome you got to take him to lunch! I'll be looking for him hear at the Louisville Store...Man I can NOT believe the store owner did that to you all. What a collossal jerk. IMO David Marks is the best "personality" on any show about woodworking I have ever seen. Before I knew who he was Norm was my favorite, but David seems to tell you how to do things, and his style is more to my liking. That really blows about that his show is owned by someone else, I never understood that kind of stuff but I know it happens all the time. The singing group TLC filed bankruptcy after going multi platinum for the exact same reason (and probably multiple ferraris didn't help lol) One thing I do like is that you can see Davids shows online at DIY for free, but I am thinking that he would have made that available too if he owned the show. Just curious about a couple of things, 1. when you took him to lunch what did you talk about? I figure he would not be interested in the things all of us would want to ask about. And 2. how much did the class cost? Great post, thanks for the info!

jason

John Shuk
02-24-2008, 1:45 PM
I'd love to meet him sometime. Woodcraft is a franchise and I guess some are better than others.
I'd have to place some of the responsibility on him however. I think an advance sheet should be sent out letting the store know exactly what will be needed for a successful class.

Ben Cadotte
02-24-2008, 2:06 PM
Have to admit I am a Normite. Been watching him since I can remember. I just started to watch Woodworks and was initially just blah to the show. To me it seemed too scripted. Not sure why.

But now that I have read a bit more about David, and seen a couple online podcasts and such. I have really changed my opinon on him.

And this is not the first story I have read that says he's a good down to earth stand up kind of guy. Kudos to David.

And as for the store. That would be my last trip there, period! Maybe people didn't buy enough, maybe he had a hot date. But to kick out probable future / current customers. That's idiotic! And I am sure it turned off David enough not to come back to that location. So another loss to the local woodworkers and another reason not to go back to that location.

Pat Germain
02-24-2008, 2:23 PM
1. when you took him to lunch what did you talk about? I figure he would not be interested in the things all of us would want to ask about. And 2. how much did the class cost? Great post, thanks for the info!

jason

I'm glad you found my post interesting. My daughter was sitting next to me while I wrote it. "People aren't going to want to read all that!" she warned me. I posted it anyway. :)

My friend and coworker, Dewey, was also in the class and he came to lunch with us. (In fact, he drove.) Dewey is a Navy Senior Chief. He gave David a coin from the military command where we work. David seemed genuinely thrilled to get this coin and was very curious about it. When we posed for pictures with him after the class, David insisted on holding up the coin.

To answer your questions, actually, David is interested in many of the same things we are. He asked Dewey and I what we did for a living. He was downright fascinated with the work we do for the Department of Defense. The TV show gives a very scewed impression of David Marks. In person, he could be just another guy in your woodworking club; who happens to make some spectacular projects!

I tried to keep the lunch conversation away from woodworking, but David had no shortage of hilarious stories about taping Woodworks. I commented how cool it was he got to do a segment with James Krenov. He agreed and said the producers initially objected due to budget. And it was only a two hour drive from David's workshop.

I told David my son is a singer/songwriter and the TV business seemed to have a lot in common with the music business: "The Man" makes all the money and the artist is hung out to dry. I think David was under the impression he was unique in having made a show and then having no control or profits from it. This is certainly not the case. As I told him, the cast of Gilligan's Island never made a dime from that show's syndication. He said he didn't know that and it somewhat made him feel better.

This particular class had a tuition of $250. I think that's kinda steep when you consider what you buy for your shop with $250. However, it was probably the only opportunity I'll ever have to spend the day with David Marks. I learned a great deal about inlay as well as how to just take it easy, take your time, and enjoy the project in progress.

Tom Esh
02-24-2008, 2:55 PM
“I said you could stay late. Not the students,” he answered somewhat angrily.

Nice. Somebody should have asked him if that foot he shot hurt yet.
Glad it didn't ruin a good day.

Jim Becker
02-24-2008, 2:59 PM
To prove your DD wrong, I also read the whole post... ;)

And I think a note to the Woodcraft headquarters to let them know how one of their franchises was so rude is in order. I certainly wouldn't shop there anymore, that's for sure, after being treated like that as well as having a guest instructor of note treated like that!

Cody Colston
02-24-2008, 3:38 PM
And I think a note to the Woodcraft headquarters to let them know how one of their franchises was so rude is in order.

Absolutely! I'd even send them a link to this thread. That particular Woodcraft owner insulted DJM and every person attending the class. Woodcraft HQ should know that his boorish behavior will have consequences. Woodworking forums like this one are a powerful lobby.

On a brighter note, I certainly envy your chance to learn from someone as accomplished as David Marks. I'd love to have the chance too atend one of his classes and inlay work is high on my list of preferred categories.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Jason Scott
02-24-2008, 4:01 PM
Glad you sent the link to Woodcraft HQ, if that was in my town I would NEVER go there again just b/c of the insult to DJM and to all the students, again, what a jerk. Pat for 250 to spend the day with marks and have lunch, man you got a sweeeeet deal lol...

Bill Wyko
02-24-2008, 4:05 PM
Congradulations on the opportunity and sorry to hear of all the mishaps. As a store owner, he should have had a whole different attitude about having him in his shop. Who knows, he might have even learned something:eek:. I'd be offended by the owner if I were a student of the class or David. He seems like a pleasant person to be around.

Pat Germain
02-24-2008, 4:11 PM
I probably should drop a note Woodcraft HQ and explain how I didn't appreciate the owner's attitude. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but he sure seemed hostile.

I had a brief email exhange another SMCer, Todd Franks, last night. He was also in the inlay class and couldn't understand what was up with the owner either.

John Hain
02-24-2008, 4:29 PM
I can't believe no one has commented on the lack of preparation by that particular Woodcraft store. Here comes David Marks, probably the 2nd most known wood furniture maker in America (don't debate this please, it's not the purpose of this comment), and this specific Woodcraft owner doesn't take the time and effort to make sure everything David needs for the class is set up? Does Woodcraft make any money from this? I'm sure they do and it's my guess that as part of taking a large cut of the class fee, they should have the necessary tools ready for the class.

Good grief, not only wouldn't I shop there anymore, I'd make a point of letting the store owner know that I'm bypassing his store to order online or at the nearest Rockler store. Owners who have the audacity to treat customers like that........will be out-of-business soon and crying to whoever will listen asking why they lost their franchise. Seems obvious to the rest of us.

Fred Voorhees
02-24-2008, 4:50 PM
Count me as another who would absolutely love to learn a few things from David! I considered it a fortunate occurance that I got to speak with him for...oh...maybe five minutes back a few years ago at one of the Woodworking shows at the Edison,NY convention center. Very down to Earth kind of guy.

Lee Koepke
02-24-2008, 5:07 PM
One heck of an experience.

thanks for sharing. Its amazing the lack of preparation, but thats been discussed.

I would like the opportunity to see him work. I dont do inlays (yet) but it would be worth it to me to spend the day

Ben Cadotte
02-24-2008, 5:13 PM
I can't believe no one has commented on the lack of preparation by that particular Woodcraft store. Here comes David Marks, probably the 2nd most known wood furniture maker in America (don't debate this please, it's not the purpose of this comment), and this specific Woodcraft owner doesn't take the time and effort to make sure everything David needs for the class is set up? Does Woodcraft make any money from this? I'm sure they do and it's my guess that as part of taking a large cut of the class fee, they should have the necessary tools ready for the class.

Good grief, not only wouldn't I shop there anymore, I'd make a point of letting the store owner know that I'm bypassing his store to order online or at the nearest Rockler store. Owners who have the audacity to treat customers like that........will be out-of-business soon and crying to whoever will listen asking why they lost their franchise. Seems obvious to the rest of us.

I thought about it for a second. It may be a manager and not owner that made the very poor call to kick people out. Might want to investigate and if its not the owner involved. He might want to know he needs a change in personnel.

Pat Germain
02-24-2008, 6:39 PM
I went ahead and dropped a note to Woodcraft about the situation. I used the word "manager" and not "owner". This way, I think it correctly refers to whomever was in charge yesterday.

FYI, David is teaching much more than inlay in the Woodcraft classes. He is also teaching turning, patina techniques and more. Check his web site and the Woodcraft web site for details.

www.djmarks.com (http://www.djmarks.com)

I'm also wondering if writing to Scripps and requesting Woodworks DVD's and project plans would help. David Marks does own the rights to his designs. He would make money on the plans. As I recall, he pitched the idea of combination DVD and plans packages, like NYW, but Scripps wasn't interested.

Greg Just
02-24-2008, 7:39 PM
WOW - how lucky are you!

With respect to Woodcraft, I took a class here in the Twin Cities and was not impressed with the way it was run and the setup. It was a class on sharpening lathe tools and it was obvious they were trying to sell the system in addition to to $45 for the class. They only had one grinder set up to we all had to wait our turn. Never again at Woodcraft.

Scott Kilroy
02-24-2008, 7:52 PM
Very interesting. I've heard really good things about David Marks personal appearances. I Would seriously recommend writing to Woodcraft HQ and the local store. It wouldn't have taken much for them to make this a good experance for everyone and they should know that they need to improve managing in store classes or not offer them.

Peter Quadarella
02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Pat, thanks very much for the interesting post. The bits of detail made it enjoyable, and I have to say I am fascinated by DJM. His style and ability are part of what are convincing me to go beyond 2x4s and borg plywood. When I see the lengths he goes to get something just right, I don't fel bad about taking so long to complete things, and am beginning to concentrate on doing things right instead of fast. It's more fun this way!

That Woodcraft store doesn't sound very inviting. :(

Pat Germain
02-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Todd confirmed the hostile guy was the manager and not the owner. (Thanks, Todd.)

David has also taught me a lot about taking my time and getting it right. In the class, I was surprised at how he made sure everything was just right before he cut anything. I guess I expected him to go bang, bang, done. One thing he does very quickly is move the card scraper. He makes shavings like a power planer.

I'm very glad to hear you guys took the time to read my report and found it valuable. I know I like to read such reports and I'm glad to share my experience.

Bill Wyko
02-25-2008, 12:55 AM
On one hand, I'm greatful that a company would go to the trouble to bring someone of his calaber into their stores. On the other hand, if you're going to do it, do it right. It's an insult to him and what he has to offer, to not give him the right environment isn't in their best interest. It would reflect better on the store to show how well "our products" work for a vetran like DM. IMNSHO:D

Todd Franks
02-25-2008, 8:39 AM
I was in the same class with Pat. I have to agree the setup was less than ideal. I love the folding table "workbench" they had for him. The table top must have been oscillating back and forth about 3 inches while he was using the card scraper.

The manager kicking us out at 6pm by far the worst part of the class. After the manager walked away, David told us if we took a class in Santa Rosa we could stay as late as we wanted.

The TV show does not portray his real personality. He is definitely a people person. We had name tags and he made it a point to learn everyones name. His humor also does not come through on the show. At one point a person in the class commented how ingenious the technique he was demonstrating. Davids' response was "That's California ingenuity not Yankee ingenuity".

The content of the class was really good. The metal epoxy inlay alone was worth the price of admission. The other inlay techniques he had already done on a few episodes of WW. But as David said a lot of good film ended up in the garbage because it had a to fit a 20 minutes time slot. He covered much more detail than he ever could in one episode.

I was amazed how meticulous he was. He took his time and paid attention to every detail. He preached test cuts over and over again.

Overall, I would highly recommend taking a class from David Marks.

Al Willits
02-25-2008, 9:08 AM
Glad ya enjoyed him, I'd think it'd be a rare occasion that someone who meets David doesn't like him.
The Minn woodworkers guild had him come give a two day class, and it was excelent, he's funny, down to earth and just a nice guy to talk to, plus he's a excellent teacher.

I don't doubt the woodcraft store was ill prepared, I took a cabinet making class from the local store, and it was a waste of money, they pushed the sawstop and festools continuly and were unprepared.

Like Greg, I'll never take another class from the Mpls store.

Al

Pat Germain
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't doubt the woodcraft store was ill prepared, I took a cabinet making class from the local store, and it was a waste of money, they pushed the sawstop and festools continuly and were unprepared.

Like Greg, I'll never take another class from the Mpls store.

Al

That's really too bad Woodcraft doesn't put more effort into their classes. Well, this seems to be the case at least at some Woodcraft stores. If I'm attending a "free demonstration" I expect a hard sell and really don't mind. If I'm coughing up good money for a class, I do not expect a hard sell and I'm going to be really steamed if that's about all I get.

I used to travel the world teaching a military computer application. I learned early on no class could be successful without proper preparation. I had to spend a lot of time making sure all the computers worked perfectly and every student had a good training guide. Some of my colleagues didn't make this effort. Thus, I got a reputation for being a very good teacher. While I like to think I was good at what I did, much of that reputation came from being prepared. In order to get the respect of my students, I had to respect their time. It seems Woodcraft isn't respecting their students' time.

I agree with Todd in spite of classroom and managerial issues, David's class was well worth it!

Pat Germain
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
You might like another anecdote David shared at lunch. Dewey was wondering what kind of person Norm Abram was. David has met him and assured us Norm is a great guy and actually pretty shy. Then he recalled a time he was on a plane reading a woodworking magazine featuring Norm. The guy next to him saw this and said something to the effect of, "Do you know who Norm Abram is? He's amazing!". David Agreed.

David said he's rarely recognized and, of course, when he is recognized it's by serious woodworkers.

Dewey Torres
02-25-2008, 11:43 PM
All,
First off I am new to the forum and also the infamous Dewey that Pat refers to in this thread. I am not sure he could have summed it up better except to state that the two of us basically spent all day with David and there is obviously a lot that Pat did not capture due to brevity. I will say that both of us feel like we know him personally because of his demeanor. Also I will reiterate the fact that David is not shy about telling the (very entertaining) DIY/HGTV stories. Check out the pics!
Dewey

Pat Germain
02-26-2008, 9:08 AM
Hey, welcome to SMC, Dewey! And thanks for posting the pics. Folks here dig seeing pics; especially of projects and new tools.

Chuck Gregg
02-26-2008, 9:27 AM
I also sent Woodcraft a memo expressing my feelings regarding the David Marks class and this is the reply.

Date: Monday, February 25, 2008 2:34 PM
From: WC Customer Service <Customer_Service@woodcraft.com>
To: Chuck Gregg <cgregg2@roadrunner.com>
Subject: RE: David Marks class
Size: 12 KB
Thank you for your inquiry. The store in question is franchised own; therefore, the independent owner of the store is the responsible party for who is hired and takes what position in the store. Yet, when we received the information about the situation we immediately took action and forward the information to the personnel responsible in overseeing the stores.

Lee Koepke
02-26-2008, 9:45 AM
Dewey, welcome and thanks for the pics ... wasnt positive it was David Marks until I saw the blue tape !! :D:D:D

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. He really looks like he enjoys what he is doing ....

Pat Germain
02-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I also sent Woodcraft a memo expressing my feelings regarding the David Marks class and this is the reply.

Date: Monday, February 25, 2008 2:34 PM
From: WC Customer Service <Customer_Service@woodcraft.com>
To: Chuck Gregg <cgregg2@roadrunner.com>
Subject: RE: David Marks class
Size: 12 KB
Thank you for your inquiry. The store in question is franchised own; therefore, the independent owner of the store is the responsible party for who is hired and takes what position in the store. Yet, when we received the information about the situation we immediately took action and forward the information to the personnel responsible in overseeing the stores.

Interesting. I didn't receive a reply at all. :confused:

Heather Deans
02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
For the record, I have been to several Woodcraft classes when I lived in PA that were great- enthuastic teachers, through coverage of the subject, well set up classroom, ect. Different stores can have VERY different attitudes! Its sad that this particular one didn't have such a good approach.
Heather

Mike Spanbauer
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds like the class was a good one. I've had the great fortune of taking a class at his Santa Rosa home and shop. David is an amazingly personable guy and one item I'll mention that I didn't see above, he makes a point to learn everyones name AND he has an amazing memory. He can remember names of those who have taking his classes years after their attendance. Heck, I can barely remember some of my co-workers from previous positions in the company.

That's a bummer about the Loveland WC, I've never been in there as the franchise opened after I moved to CA. I grew up in Loveland.

mike

Jason Scott
02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Wow, those pictures, man he looks like such a nice guy! Hope to meet him, and "Nahm" one day lol...

jason lambert
02-26-2008, 12:38 PM
If David Marks was in my store I would try to keep him there as long as possible, Hell I would buy him a hotel room and ask him to come back tommrow. My guess is the owner didn't really know who he was or cared, why else would he want him out.

The more I think of it that is just really unexcuseable Woodcraft is suppose to be helping this dying industry.

Mike Spanbauer
02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind though Jason that this was an employee (yes, he was a manager, but he is still employed by the owner). I am not making excuses for him, but woodcraft IS aware of the value that David Marks brings to their stores. They treat him very well in most locations and as a result he continues to do classes at their facilities. AND, while not perfect they are far more accessible to many woodworkers than the dedicated classrooms.

Are they as good? No, but they are decent AND much easier for many to attend.

This particular managers behavior I'm quite certain has come to the attention of the owner now in addition to the franchise manager, so action will be or has been taken.

A shame that it soured the class though, I'm sure David just rolled with it though as he is one of those rare individuals who possesses immense patience and ability to handle difficult people.

Also, regarding David's parting comment, we worked until 10p one evening due to some complications getting the projects in the bags prior. A class act and a brilliant woodworker.

mike

Chris Barnett
02-26-2008, 3:41 PM
David Marks is one of the remaining few people who would still capture my attention. Woodcraft is a chain enterprize, and thus a deviate manager will only temporarily detract from their excellent reputation.