PDA

View Full Version : So,what laser should I buy, really?

Scott Shepherd
02-24-2008, 11:08 AM
In an effort to open up some discussion about this, I thought I'd post a few of my thoughts and welcome anyone else to add to this thread in hopes of allowing us all to better help those in search of a new laser.

So,what laser should I buy? That's the question most all of us have asked someone else during our laser shopping experience. More often than not, that question leads to people taking sides and offering up “my machine is the best” type discussions. I believe it's a question that should, more often than not, be answered by saying “I have no idea because I don't know what you do or plan to do with it”. Shouldn't that be the answer we all give?

It's like buying a car. If I ask what car should I buy, I'm sure the responses would be “You should buy a Honda, I've had one for 15 years and it has 200,000 miles on it and I've never even changed the oil”, or “You should be a Hyundai because it costs less than a Toyota and still gets you to work”. How can you recommend a car when you don't know what my driving habits or needs are? Perhaps I am a Realtor and I sell million dollar homes. A Hyundai probably wouldn't be the best choice for me in that case. Perhaps I'm a single person who needs to drive 90 miles to work every day, all highway. In that case, something that gets 50 miles per gallon might be a good choice. Maybe my situation calls for a diesel powered engine. Maybe it's gas powered. Maybe Fuel Cell. Factor all that in and you still don't know what my budget is for a new car. Oh, and let's not leave out the whole “Buy American” factor that some will certainly bring up. Maybe I don't need a car, a truck would be better for my situation.

Without all that data it's just about impossible to give me a recommendation that truly fits me, isn't it? I'd venture to say lasers are the same way.

What laser should I buy?

I have no idea. What's your plan? What do you plan to do with it? Will you use it full time or will this be a part time job for you? What will you make? Will you be a job shop, cutting anything that comes in, or specializing in burning photos into marble? What size parts do you plan on burning? What's your budget? What are your expectations? That alone is a great place to start.

What are your expectations? Do you expect the machine to run out of the box? Do you expect if it isn't working properly that someone comes and repairs it? Do you expect to call a phone number and have parts flown in overnight? Do you expect to be dealing with a company that has a long history, which in turn, can translate into a skilled technical support staff? Do you expect to have to repair the machine on your own? Do you expect to have to troubleshoot it yourself? Will you be making a large quantity of parts where speed is very important? Or will you do mostly one off jobs where speed is not as critical?

Those are all valid questions, I believe, to begin the process of selecting a laser.

With a host of options available with Chinese machines starting at a few thousand dollars up to the high end machines costing $30,000-$50,000 (and more), we need to know more than “I want to know what laser to buy”. We've witnessed people buying the low end machines and working very hard to figure them out and keep them running, while others with the same machine just turn it on and it runs. So how handy are you? Do you know which end of a screwdriver to hold? If not, then you really need to look at service playing a large role in your purchase.

What's your budget? That could easily be a thread in itself. If you're budget is $5,000 then you're probably going to be quite limited in your choices. The person looking for something to make a little extra money on the side will certainly have a very different budget than someone who's running a laser full time in a retail environment. In one case, if the laser isn't the top of the line, then you can deal with it, in the other case, if you can't do quality work fast and accurate, then you'll lose the work to the guy who can.

Most all of us have very different plans and ideas. I cut just about anything I can put in the laser, while I know people who have never had anything but wood in their laser. We all have different experience levels as well. A stay at home Mom who's trying to run a side business probably doesn't want to hear “Now solder that new board in”, while the retired electrical system engineer welcomes those words and thrives off of pulling a machine down to that level.

My belief is that the question shouldn't be “what laser should I buy”, but rather it should start by telling us what your EXPECTATIONS of the machine are, once you get it. That's a good place to start, and from there, the dialog should lean more towards what you plan to do with once you do have it installed.

There really is no answer to that simple question. Without more data, we're all just guessing, aren't we?

Just my two cents worth on the topic. I think it's unfair to all of us to be asked that question without knowing anything else about your plans, your budget, your goals, etc.

So, what car should I buy? :)

Pete Simmons
02-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe -

How has your machine worked out?

And what do you do with it?

would be good starting questions.

Dee Gallo
02-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Well put, Steve or Scott!

I am a relatively new laser user (3 years), and I use my laser for a very specific kind of work. Recently, I went back to page one of these posts looking for something and found it very nice to see familiar names asking basic questions and discussion focussing on things "we all should know". I think the people on SMC are super nice to each other for the most part, extremely generous with their help and kind to newbies.

If I were just coming onto this scene, I would be more intimidated by some of the current discussions than I am now (although some of you are so techie it scares me). Some of the more experienced people on this site don't realize some of us don't have any idea what you are talking about until you spell it out in small words. But when you do, it's a million dollar's worth of advice and instruction for which I thank you all. The volume of experience and knowledge here is unparalleled.

Just my two cents, dee

Doug Griffith
02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I would also take into account the power of the driver for the laser and experience with graphics programs that are compatable with it.

Also, prior to purchasing a laser, realize that there are noises and smells that are included for free with all of them.

Brad Knight
02-24-2008, 1:21 PM
I’m so glad that I haven’t asked ‘that question’…

But I know where people are coming from because I’m there.

Most of us sitting here looking to spend loads of cash on machine with the hopes of getting some sort of return on investment… don’t know all of the right questions to ask.

We don’t know what we don’t know.

For me… question number one is budget. I plan on spending +/- $15,000… I’d like to know how much machine I can reasonably expect for that price range.

Question number 2… ease of use. Both my wife and I will be using it, I’m a geek and don’t mind troubleshooting issues, while my wife wants point, click and cut. I’d like an interface that is both powerful enough for someone like me to get into it and simple enough that my wife can point and click.

Question 3… accessories… Rotary attachment? How difficult is it so use, what other kind of accessories should I be looking at besides compressors and blowers.

4… noise. Is it so loud it’s going to be a problem in other room… another building… do I have to worry about the neighbors? Smell… same thing. (Even though I think I’ve read enough to know a little about smell problems)

These are just a few of the questions that I have which aren’t addressed much… not to mention the questions that I don’t know to ask yet.

Mike Null
02-24-2008, 2:34 PM
Brad

Why don't you begin scheduling demos with the various reps and see for your elf what they can do?

Jared Greenberg
02-24-2008, 2:49 PM
I have asked that question myself, basically because I didn't know anything about them.

I have scheduled two demos one on a Helix one on a Mini. I think I will end up going with Epilog, because I have support and a salesman who comes to town about once a week and if he isn't in town he's only an hour away.

Lasering is going to be part of the business, not the business. As suggested by Mike, start with something smaller and if demand requires it, get another machine.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

I don't want to fiddle around with a laser, that's not the main part of my business, I want it to make our final product better. I can't have any down time. This is why I am going to go with a US machine. I like reliability and don't mind paying for it.

I would suggest getting demos...it makes the learning curve a lot less steep and I am now confident in my purchase.

Craig Hogarth
02-24-2008, 3:47 PM
For me… question number one is budget. I plan on spending +/- $15,000… I’d like to know how much machine I can reasonably expect for that price range.

I purchased mine, a 35 watt ULS 360 (12x24) with rotary and vector cutting table for a couple bucks under 15k and they paid freight. I had a slightly better offer from a comparable epilog, but I liked the ULS guy better.

I don't use the rotary attachment as much as I thought i would, but I'm the only engraver in my county that has one so I get a slight competitive advantage.

Brad Knight
02-24-2008, 5:10 PM
Mike

That is part of the plan. I'm still looking (lurking). I'd like to have cash in hand before we get too much further along. Our ability to put back $15,000 or more for this process is our way of proving to ourselves our commitment to this endeavor. Until then I’ll keep reading more than talking and basking in the infinite knowledge that is SMC.

We started a small computer shop a few years back. Had no idea what it took to run a business at the time. I am great at fixing/building computers, but I wasn’t all that great at running the business. We jumped into it feet first without taking much stock into how we were going to fund it or anything else… long story short… we’re going to take more time, save a lot more capital and go into this deal debt free and enough money (and a day job) to keep us up until we learn the equipment and find our niche. There are no laser engravers around here, one sign shop that does vinyl signs and one award shop that does embossing so I think there is room in this market. We just want to do it slow and smart.
I will say this… in the months that I’ve been lurking (talking the wife into this and scheming) I have learned a ton already. I just hope that before too long I can be adding to the conversation instead of taking away from it. :)

Craig

Thanks, that is good to know info… about the system I’d like to start with. Mini 24 35W or equivalent w/ the rotary attachment for those times when we need it.

Darren Null
02-24-2008, 6:17 PM
You want more than 10 bloody watts. You may quote me on that.

Mike Null
02-24-2008, 7:20 PM
Brad

It's good that you have time and are willing to do the research. Also good that you're going into debt free.

Laser engraving is rarely a business unto itself. There are other things that you'll need to do along with it such as CLT and/or dye sublimation, rotary engraving etc. etc. There are a good number of other tools you'll need as well to fulfill the engraving jobs you'll get.

I'm on my second machine and into my 10th year without a rotary device for my laser. I have missed very little business because of it.

I am a home-based business but it is my full time job.

Brad Knight
02-24-2008, 8:02 PM
Yea, have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? I introduced my wife to one of his books a couple years ago and have lived to regret it. She just will not let me go off on one of my half baked ideas anymore. They have to be completely baked now...

As far as the laser business goes... I have noticed that. My 'vision' is to begin with the laser, at home... practice, "play", and God willing sell a few things along the way. Hopefully, we'll have the laser in hand 5-6 months before Christmas and will be able to take advantage of the Christmas season to make a few $$. Then I'd like to expand w/ a decent CNC and see where that leads us. I've looked at the CLTT... seems fairly easy to get going... at least not as expensive as the CNC or laser.

Until that point, I'll still have my 'escape clause'... AKA my day job that more than pays the bills at this point, but no matter how well I do at my day job, I'm still always building something for someone else. At the end of the day (I'm not sure which day that is) I still want to wind up with something of my 'own'... if that makes any sense. With the laser, or whatever we wind up with, I'll get to create, play with my computers and hopefully make a good living for my family. For the time being... I'll have the coolest toys on my block (whenever I get my laser that is).

Brian Robison
02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Dave Ramsey,
Brad, are you close to me?
Dave is a local guy but has gone quite big time.

David Lavaneri
02-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Brad,

While you're waiting for your opportunity to buy a laser, now would be the time to bone up on your graphics programs. Do you know the difference between vector and raster files and their use with a laser?

That's just one of many questions to be answered before you actually flip the switch on a new laser machine.

A command of graphics programs may be the most overlooked aspect of starting any business that relies on Corel, Illustrator, etc.

Those processes (and potential businesses) could be anything from sandcarving, vinyl graphics, sublimation, CNC...well...I think you see what I'm driving at.

Laser machines are basically printers. Knowing how to prepare files, to be sent to the printer, is square one of the learning curve.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Marc Myer
02-25-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm still looking for a laser I can run on biodiesel made from restaurant grease. :)

Shannon Burkitt
02-25-2008, 12:46 PM
One of my first questions is.....How far do I have to drive to get my hands around the throat of the person who sold me my laser?

Sandra Force
02-25-2008, 3:09 PM
David is giving your the best advice possible. If you are looking at going into sublimination, lasers, cnc routers, or anything that requires design work you will be miles ahead by getting the graphics program that you plan to use now and learn how to use it before you spend the money on other equipment. I am speaking from experience, I started running lasers with only very basic skills in autocad. We changed lasers and went to ones that required both autocad and Corel and the learning curve for learning the basics of Corel without help was ugly. Thanks to my friends here and at EE I have progressed past the point of basic user and can do most things. But I am still learning new ways of making things easier with Corel and that is after 4 years.