PDA

View Full Version : "Treen" and Beall Tool ??

John Schumer
02-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Hello Again Guys and Gals:
Thanks for the input on the chuck selection, went with a Oneway Talon for our Jet 1642EVS

Got a question on Treen making.
Keep in my mind......
I am trying to make this fairly easy, with a small learning curve, for my 16 year old son! He has made plenty of pens and wine stoppers so far.
How are these Beall Treen mandrels?
Easy to use?
They look to be well made.
Seems to be a good idea to use the Convertor to eliminate the need for the aluminum fittings?
Is their another way to do this "Treen" any easier?
Finally, what the heck is that 1" Treen Driver Beall sells, for?
Thanks Again for all your help!!!

John

Ron McKinley
02-24-2008, 3:26 PM
When I started turning I wanted to make lidded boxes and a friend recommended the Beal Treen system. It's easy to use since there's no hollowing on the lathe. You do that on the drill press. Using the mandrel you can make really thin walls for boxes. It works very well and gives instant gratification when you're making boxes and that encouraged me to go on to bigger and better boxes. I don't use mine anymore so if you're interested e-mail me at bushmanpilotREMOVE@yahoo.com
Ron

David Walser
02-24-2008, 3:42 PM
Ron,

Why did you quit using the Beall Treen mandrel?

robert hainstock
02-24-2008, 3:52 PM
If you google Beall thingy, you will find an excellant tutorial on the tool. Good luck. Seems like you will be limited to small boxes. :eek:
Bob

Ron McKinley
02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Turning without the mandrell gives you more options. The mandrell is for 1 1/4" or 2" inside diameters only........Ron