PDA

View Full Version : Incra LS-Super Fence vs. Dedicated Dovetail Jig?

Glen Paveglio
02-24-2008, 10:59 AM
I have been considering an Incra LS-Super router fence to use with a router mounted in my table saw. To justify the expense, one of my deciding factors is how well it works cutting half-blind and through dovetails as compared to a dedicated dovetail jig such as the PC-4212. Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of using the Incra vs. a dedicated dove-tail jig?

Larry Marley
02-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi Glen,
I went through the same decision several years ago with a Jointech fence. I bought the Jointech because it was more versatile than a dedicated dovetail jig. The Incra will make very nice fitting Dovetails.

Practicality is also an issue that I did not give enough consideration.
If I were to build a kitchen full of drawers, the project budget would include a PC jig.
It is just much faster, and less prone to errors.
Just my thoughts..
Larry

David Giles
02-24-2008, 2:01 PM
I agree with Larry. The Jointech/Incra setup provides a versatile setup for making lots of different and complex joints. It's great for decorative boxes and can be made to work on 4' long dresser panels. But I end up using the same dovetail pattern on project after project, so a dedicated router jig would probably have been a better choice. It would certainly be faster.

John Ricci
02-24-2008, 6:05 PM
Chalk up one more for the dedicated DT jig. I have the Incra 24" Ultra/Intellifence as well as a Leigh D4 the Leigh gets used for the half blinds since I'm usually making multiples of whatever and the speed can't be matched by the Incra which I tend to use more for fancy work and finger joints. My .02Cdn.

J.R.

ron z johnson
02-26-2008, 7:53 PM
My Leigh jig works good for half blids and through but most of the time hangs on the wall since you can only make so many dovetails. I can use my Jointech system for making drawers and its not that hard at all. I get much more use from the Jointech because it serves as a really accurate fence for general purpose cuts on my extension table. Just my .02.

RJ