PDA

View Full Version : hole in tool rest

Jerry Allen
02-24-2008, 10:37 AM
I have looked unsuccessfully for the reason for the hole which is found typically at the left end of toolrests.
If any one knows the reason for it, please let me know.

Randy Johnson
02-24-2008, 10:42 AM
This was discussed a while back either here or on another forum.
The answer is pretty simple.
It is to hang the part for painting. That said, I spent about four years spray painting parts on a line and I'm not sure I would have thought of why the hole was there.

Jerry Allen
02-24-2008, 2:34 PM
Thanks Randy. I would have never guessed that.
Why would they bother when you could use a coat hanger just about anywhere, not to mention that if I was painting I would definitely do it off the lathe?

Randy Johnson
02-24-2008, 4:37 PM
Thanks Randy. I would have never guessed that.
Why would they bother when you could use a coat hanger just about anywhere, not to mention that if I was painting I would definitely do it off the lathe?

As the man in Cool Hand Luke said, "What we have here is a basic failure to comunicate."

I'm talking about painting the part at the factory. Where I worked, everything that could be hung from the line (a few things were too big) was suspended by hooks that were bent into "Ls" at both ends. The end of the hook that was opposite the part being painted was inserted in a "T" that was part of an overhead conveyor line. By having the hook pass through a hole on the part, with the verticle section of the hook away from the part, the entire outside surface is exposed to painting. If, on the other hand, something is wrapped around the part there will be a line showing where the paint couldn't cover. Every once in a while the line loaders would get sloppy and let the verticle section of the hook contact the part. This would cause an unpainted line to show, and if it would show in the finished product it had to go through again.
In the case of a tool rest, I would imagine that for mass production some kind of sleeve was placed on the post section to keep it from getting any paint on it.
The product I painted was store fixtures and most of the parts like shelves and posts would have a functional hole of some kind on them to hang the part on the line. On the few cases were no functional hole existed like transverse covers, a hole was added. In the case of a tool rest there is no functional reason for the hang hole to be there. Nonetheless, it is needed as part of the production process and so it exists.

Scott Hubl
02-24-2008, 4:55 PM
They usually paint everything but the post on toolrests, if even painted at all. I would think they place the post in something to keep it from being painted, as masking taping it, then removing the tape would be time consuming.

I believe the hole is for hanging on a pegboard hook.

Or a plain old nail.

Jerry Allen
02-24-2008, 5:14 PM
Got it. Seems like a waste of time.
A hanging hole for storage sounds more reasonable.
Guess I was expecting a more sophisticated function.