PDA

View Full Version : jet vs grizzly spindle sander & sleeves

jim gossage
02-24-2008, 10:05 AM
i am considering the purchase of a floor model Grizzly 1071 or Jet JOVS-10 spindle sander to replace my sears sanding station. the main difference between the 2 that is see is a 1 yr warranty with Griz and 5 yr with Jet. i have 2 questions:

1. is there any reason to spend $300 more on the jet?

2. does anyone know whether the cheaper grizzly sleeves will fit the jet spindles?

thanks

David Tiell
02-24-2008, 10:10 AM
i am considering the purchase of a floor model Grizzly 1071 or Jet JOVS-10 spindle sander to replace my sears sanding station. the main difference between the 2 that is see is a 1 yr warranty with Griz and 5 yr with Jet. i have 2 questions:

1. is there any reason to spend $300 more on the jet?

2. does anyone know whether the cheaper grizzly sleeves will fit the jet spindles?

thanks
Good question on the sleeves. Will keep an eye on this thread for an answer. Sorry, but can't help you with your other question yet, as I haven't picked up the used Jet I recently bought.

Peter Quinn
02-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Worked in a medium sized comercial cabinet/door shop with the Griz 1071, 8 guys beating it daily, worked well, never a problem. Never used the jet, can't compare, but the Griz is a capable machine. Ours was a couple of years old (4-5?) Decent table size, spindle changes were painless. Plenty of smooth power.

Steve Rowe
02-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I purchased the G1071 ten years ago next month. It was my 3rd and last Grizzly machine. I have dumped the other two and still have the G1071 and all I can say for it is that it is cheap and works well now.

The carton on delivery was undamaged and yet one of the spindle mounting brackets was bent and hanging loose. Solution - bent it back into shape. Clearly should have been my first indication of a quality control problem.
Upon startup, I was impressed that the machine was quiet and ran smoothly for the first 30 seconds and then the coupling fell apart. Fixed it myself. Second indication of a quality control problem.
Spindles are a PITA to change. Poor accessibility and difficult to loosen. Indication of poor design.
The table inserts are horrible. Had to file around the edges to even get them to fit. They are 1/8" thick plate and has insufficient meat for proper use of the leveling setscrews. Given my experiences with Grizzly, it wouldn't surprise me if the table was mis-machined (i.e. - too deep a recess). I have resolved this problem by making my own inserts. This is the 3rd and final indication of a quality control and/or design problem.I know this response will not set well given the Grizzly lovefest that often occurs on this forum so, no piling on. These are my experiences with this specific machine and is similar with the other two Grizzly machines I have previously owned. Perhaps Grizzly has improved their quality (I certainly hope so) but, with me, its 3 strikes and you're out. You only have one chance to make a first impression and I gave Grizzly 3 chances.

I know nothing about the Jet.

jim gossage
02-24-2008, 12:42 PM
I purchased the G1071 ten years ago next month. It was my 3rd and last Grizzly machine. I have dumped the other two and still have the G1071 and all I can say for it is that it is cheap and works well now.

Steve,
thanks for your thoughts. does anyone else have experience with the spindle changes on newer Grizzlies? i forsee frequent changes, so i would like to avoid a PITA! how about jet spindles? based on the specs and pics, i suspect that both are made in the same factory.