PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Glue

David Walser
02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Any of you using Sumo Glue? I was cruising through Craft Supplies' new products and I saw a product I'd not seen before (no surprise since I was in the "new products" section): Sumo Glue. This claim caught my eye:
The "heavyweight" of polyurethane glues, Sumo glue offers woodturners many benefits not found in other brands of glue.
Any of you familiar with this glue? Here's a link:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/New_Products___Sumo_Glue___sumo_glue?Args=

Don Eddard
02-24-2008, 6:40 AM
I've not used it, but always assumed it was another polyurethane adhesive essentially the same as Gorilla glue. From the looks of the link you posted, that's not quite the case. Clear drying, faster curing and less expansion would be a good improvement.

Harvey M. Taylor
02-24-2008, 7:58 AM
got mine at Lowe's in a 2 fer 1 sale. Mine dries white and really expands when dry. Dont know about better holding qualities, though.

Bob Hallowell
02-24-2008, 8:00 AM
Like Don said I saw it at lowes and thought it was another gorilla glue.

Bob

Jason Hallowell
02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I've used it a couple of times. It dries closer to white than clear, which depending on what you're glueing may or may not be an improvement. It seemed to foam and expand about the same as gorilla glue, maybe slightly less.

Reed Gray
02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I do not use the urethane glues for 2 reasons. One, a friend of mine makes expresso tampers out of exotic woods, and a stainless pad on the bottom. He sent some to Japan. While in flight at altitude, the air bubbles expanded and the steel came off every one. I also called Franklin (the people who make titebond) to ask some questions about their glue. I asked what they thought about the urethank glues. The tech said that they did an experiment. They laminated up wood pieces and make baseball bats, using both the urethane and titebond glues. In use, the urethane glues delaminated every time.
robo hippy

Bill Embrey
02-24-2008, 1:39 PM
My 2 cents worth... nearly every turned pen or pencil I've used urethane glue on has had splitting or delamination problems... I don't use it... different viscosities of super glue, epoxy or titebond is all I use now.

Al Wasser
02-24-2008, 2:13 PM
If you did not see it, Fine Woodworking did a glue test maybe a year ago. They tested wood glue joints done with various glues and several different woods. Gorilla glue did not do very well. If you are visiting your library you might give it a look

David Walser
02-24-2008, 4:10 PM
Al,

I did see the Fine Woodworking article (I just didn't recall which magazine I'd read it in). As you said, urethane glue did not do very well. I had thought, as had the authors, that urethane glue would be superior for use with loose fitting joints. That proved not to be the case. Urethane glue, despite it's foaming to expand and fill spaces in a joint, proved to have the weakest bond of all the glues tested -- in all situations, not just loose fitting joints. Hide glue was superior in strength to urethane glue.

However, Loctite, the maker of Sumo Glue, claims their new glue represents a new generation of urethane glue. It's supposed to be stronger, dry three times faster, and foam 50% less than other urethane glues. In addition, like other urethane glues, it's supposed to produce a flexible bond -- which might make it superior to CA for gluing in pen tubes. From some of your experiences, sounds like Sumo Glue still foams too much and still takes too long to dry for serious consideration as a pen tube replacement for CA or epoxy.

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-24-2008, 6:00 PM
What more could anyone ask for? Titebond is the best. I mostly use the original. I experimented quite a bit with Gorilla when it first came out. I liked the longer working time in some situations, but in general, it just wasn't worth the mess. And don't ask me about the way it stains your skin - yuck!