PDA

View Full Version : Norm's Miter Gauge?

Rob Will
02-23-2008, 9:48 PM
I just watched Norm build the Cherry "Butterfly Table" on NYW. I noticed he had a nice looking miter gauge on the table saw. I need a really nice heavy miter gauge for my PM 74A.

What brand of miter gauge does Norm have?

What other brands and features do you like?

Thanks,
Rob

Jim Becker
02-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Osbourne EB-3, I believe...

Joe Mioux
02-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Yep, its the Osborne eb3, but Delta also makes the same miter gauge with a clamp to hold pieces down.

its a nice miter gauge I have it and like it. The only thing I am not wild about is that the black grip (sandpaper) loses it sand and you can scratch your table saw's table. Not a big deal, but it is a bit annoying. ONe way to eliminate that problem is to forego using the black grip paper.

Joe

Rob Will
02-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Well that was easy. I asked you guys, got an answer, went to Osborne's web site..........and UPS is bringing it to my house, all within a few minutes. Never took my feet off of the desk:cool:.

Thanks men,

Rob

Bill Huber
02-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Well that was easy. I asked you guys, got an answer, went to Osborne's web site..........and UPS is bringing it to my house, all within a few minutes. Never took my feet off of the desk:cool:.

Thanks men,

Rob

Great, you will love it..... I have had mine for a year and still like it a lot it is a great miter gauge.

I would do 2 things when you get it.

1. Take the stop and unbolt it and put it on the other side of the block that goes in the slide. As it comes there is some flex to it and if you put it on the other side of the block it helps a lot.

2. As Joe stated the grit will come off the paper and can scratch the saw. What I did was to take my crepe stick for cleaning sanding belts and rubbed it down really good and that took care of that.

Rocky Ragano
02-24-2008, 6:59 AM
In case anyone is interested, Osborne has it on sale now for $110.

http://www.osbornemfg.com/

Doug Shepard
02-24-2008, 7:06 AM
I've seen him using an Osborne for quite a while. But did he use a Dubby for a brief period? I seem to recall one TV woodworker using one but dont recall who. Just curious.

Larry Anderson
02-24-2008, 9:25 AM
$99.99 here.
http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/50-eb3.html

Rocky Ragano
02-24-2008, 10:41 AM
$99.99 here.

Even better!

Brent Harding
02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
There is a site out there that identifies every tool he uses in what episodes. Its kinda funny, but when looking at it really tells you something about certain products. I thought I book marked it, I'll edit when I find it. Maybe someone will reply with the link.

*Edit
I found it, http://www.normstools.com/
This guy has really put a ton of time into this site.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-24-2008, 2:29 PM
I promised myself I wasn't going to spend any money on toys for a while. Oh well, I've been wanting a better miter gage for a while. $108.61 with shipping.

Anyhow...thanks for the heads-up Larry,
-Jeff :)

Ed Lang
02-24-2008, 3:02 PM
Is the Osborn miter going out?

I have looked at a couple of the locations that Osborn lists and they don't have it any more.

The $99 price said limited supplies. Sounds like folks are not going to carry this any more?

I hope I am wrong!

Anyone know what is going on?

Don L Johnson
02-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I was trying to curtail spending any more wood working money...oh well; I had to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks...no, I really mean that!!... for the info!!

Howard Acheson
02-24-2008, 10:51 PM
On the most recent show I watched, he was using a Kreg miter gauge. On some older shows he was using an Osborne.

www.kregtool.com/products/pms/index.php

Brian Penning
02-25-2008, 4:46 AM
Great, you will love it..... I have had mine for a year and still like it a lot it is a great miter gauge.

I would do 2 things when you get it.

1. Take the stop and unbolt it and put it on the other side of the block that goes in the slide. As it comes there is some flex to it and if you put it on the other side of the block it helps a lot.

Bill»»Could you elaborate this a bit? I can't figure out what you're saying.
TIA

Al Willits
02-25-2008, 9:28 AM
Thanks Larry, $108.61 with shipping.

Al

Bill Huber
02-25-2008, 9:35 AM
TIA

I found that I was getting a very small difference in the length of boards when I was using the stop. I had the bolt very tight to keep this from happening.
I then move the flip part to the other side and this helped a bunch. It has so much more area to press against. Now the bolt is not near as tight and holds the stop point much better.

As the stop comes from the factory you only have a very small area to push against. If the bolt is not really tight it will open a gap between the part that flips over and the stop block (picture 1).

By moving the part that flips over to the other side of the stop block you have much more area for it to be pushed against. (picture 2).

82509 82510

Jeffrey Makiel
02-25-2008, 9:36 AM
The $99 price said limited supplies. Sounds like folks are not going to carry this any more?

Ed,
According to this SMC thread about 10 months ago, the EB3 has previously been around $100. Folks suggest that its reduced cost is from shifting manufacturing to offshore.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55689

Jeffrey Makiel
02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Larry, $108.61 with shipping.

Al

You'll get nicked another $3.00 for handling. $111.61 was on the email confirmation invoice I just recieved.

Slippery buggers,

Greg Sznajdruk
02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Once you get your Osborne go to this site to install the tape. Since the instuction in the box leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/instleb3scale.html

Greg

Ellen Benkin
02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I think he uses his sponsors' products so I would not necessarily take the fact that he uses something on the show as a personal "Norm" rating.

Al Willits
02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I think he uses his sponsors' products so I would not necessarily take the fact that he uses something on the show as a personal "Norm" rating.

I rarely take most of what anybody on TV or anything sponsored as gospel, I watch Norm use it and it seems to be easy to work with and seemed like a nice unit, then wandered the web a bit and found good reviews of the -3 model, appears the older unit had some problems..depending on whoevers posting, but between the cost, reviews and what it looked like, I think it'll be ok...time will tell..:)

$3 handling? Sneaky aren't they..:)

Lots of good tips here on what to do when I get it, thanks all.

Al

Rob Will
02-25-2008, 7:41 PM
TIA

Bill, I do not understand this either.
Rob

Bill Huber
02-25-2008, 7:47 PM
Bill, I do not understand this either.
Rob

I am not sure how I can say it any clearer, did you look at the pictures I think they show it really well. (6 post up in linear Mode)

bob hart
02-26-2008, 3:54 PM
$99.99 here.

I had been looking for a decent miter guage and have been waiting for a deal on the Incra 1000SE, then found this thread and started looking into the Osborne.

Needless to say (from the title) I ordered from the above retailer yesterday. (Thanks for the lead Larry) I, too, got nicked for the $3 handling fee. I brewed for about 5 minutes.

WELL...when i came home today, there it was at the door!!! (Less than 24 hrs!) I'll pay $3 for that service anytime. (Why can't this ever happen when I really need fast delivery?)

BTW, the fee is mentioned at the top of the page.

Bob Hart

Larry Anderson
02-26-2008, 6:58 PM
I should ask performance tool fo a finders fee.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-26-2008, 7:39 PM

There, she said it. I agree!