PDA

View Full Version : New Gorrila glue?

Michael Gibbons
02-23-2008, 6:40 PM
Is it so new that no one here has tried it? I just noticed the ad in Pop WWing. Anyone?

Wade Lippman
02-23-2008, 7:19 PM
They just came out with CA. Is that what you mean?

Michael Gibbons
02-23-2008, 9:39 PM
No Wade, it says wood glue on the bottle. It's on page 7 of the new edition.

Jim Becker
02-23-2008, 10:02 PM
'First I've heard of it!

Mitchell Garnett
02-23-2008, 10:31 PM
I read a review that compared it with Titebond II in some publication. Unfortunately, all I remember from the review was that there wasn't enough difference to persuade me to use something different.

JayStPeter
02-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Based on my experience with Gorilla vs. other poly glues, I'm not overly optimistic that this will be the best PVA glue. But, who knows.

Dave Anderson NH
02-24-2008, 8:07 AM
I received a sample bottle of it from Alan Turner of the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop about a month ago but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It appears to be a standard PVA yellow glue like Titebond. The only disconcerting thing about it is the disclaimer on the bottle which I'm sure is written by their lawyers. It in essence say to use at your own risk. While I'm sure this is a decent glue, Gorilla shouldn't let the lawyers write their product copy since it is definitely a putoff. Before I use it on anything important I'd like to see some information about its strength and other properties given their "waffle words". Some time I'll get around to testing it.

Wayne Cannon
02-24-2008, 6:11 PM
After reading an article about "other" vendors improving on the polyurethane glue formulations as they introduced their competing products, I guess this new Gorilla glue is simply to keep up with the improvements in the technology.

The main thing I noticed when reading the label on the "new" Gorilla glue a few days ago was that it has a somewhat shorter clamping time than before.

John Terefenko
02-24-2008, 9:01 PM
Speaking of polyurethane glues, there is a new glue and the name is escaping me at this time but its claim to fame is it is nonfoaming. Has anyone seen this advertised and tried it. If I can think of the name I will edit this. Its that old age thing again.

Michael Schwartz
02-24-2008, 9:05 PM
I have had a chance to work with the new gorilla glue wood glue "PVA" and it has a very strong initial tack, and seems to be a good adhesive.

Because of its tack it seems to be nice for gluing trim.

It seems to be very similar to the Tight-bond Molding and Trim adhesive in alot of ways.

Howard Acheson
02-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Go to the Gorilla Glue website. It's a new product.

There's a lot of marketing baloney but here is the statement that tells what it is. "EASY TO USE – it's a non-toxic, water-based, solvent free polyvinyl acetate (PVA)." In other words it's similar to any other PVA yellow glue like TBII or Elmers.