PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer Fence on Grizzly 1023 TS?

Edward Garrett
02-23-2008, 4:40 PM
Does anybody know if the Biesmeyer Fence system will fit on a Grizzly 1023SLW table saw? I am wondering if I would need to drill new holes in the rail mounting system or not....

Lee Koepke
02-23-2008, 5:49 PM
I have the SL and a homemade side extension. The rails lined up good on the saw body.

I did not put the rear rail on however.

scott spencer
02-23-2008, 6:51 PM
The Biese fence will fit on the rails for the Shop Fox Classic, but I'm not sure if the holes for the Biese rails will line up without some drilling. Cast iron drills easily enough though.

Edward Garrett
02-23-2008, 6:56 PM
Thanks guys!

Jeff Spirer
02-23-2008, 8:39 PM
Should fit fine.

I have one on mine.

Jeff

James Suzda
02-24-2008, 6:20 AM
I know this is probably a stupid question, but why do you want to switch out the Shop Fox fence for a Bies fence? Before you jump on this decision check out the differences between the two fences!
I had a "Lowe's Bies" fence on my old saw and when I got my new Grizzly 1023 I couldn't see any advantage to switching fences.

John Keeton
02-24-2008, 7:30 AM
I'm with James. The ShopFox fence is solid and accurate. I would prefer to spend those "shop dollars" on something else - like a new tool that is "absolutely necessary" if my wife wants that next project completed.

Edward Garrett
02-24-2008, 8:12 AM
I have a chance to get a great deal on a parctically new Bies fence and side table (trading some old tools)....before I got my 1023 late last year I had the Delta hybrid saw with the Bies fence....quite true, not a lot difference between the shop fox classic and the bies fence, I think they are both great fences. I did find that the Bies slid a bit smoother on the rail and the side "faces" of the Bies (if I recall correctly) we a slight bit taller.

For the $300-$400 that I would need to spend on the new Bies, the difference between the two fence is definitely not worth it, but if I can get the Bies for very close to nothing (trading a few of my hours helping to finish a basement, work I planned to spend anyway), AND it would install easily it would be worth it to me.

James Suzda
02-24-2008, 9:34 AM
I have a chance to get a great deal on a parctically new Bies fence and side table (trading some old tools <SNIP>
Okay, if you can get a Bies fence for a great deal I guess it would be a nice switch. I'll agree with you that the Bies fence does slide on the rail nicer and the back slider is better also. I've been toying with the idea of sanding the paint off and polishing the front rail on my SF fence so it would glide better.
However, there is one thing that I do like better with the SF fence and that is the ability to switch out the slides which are just held on with screws.

You might be able to leave the original angle iron on your saw and just drill new holes to mount the Bies rail on. That way you will not have to screw around with remounting the angle irons and maybe having to drill holes in your table.
Go for it! :D