PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Quilted Sugar Maple HF

George Guadiane
02-23-2008, 2:44 PM
This one was a surprise! I started out with a one inch hole, drilled to depth and as I started to hollow, then thin, the rim just crumbled every time I touched it. I decided to leave it on the lathe (for three days), fully expecting to come back and find it all cracked up...
NOPE! It looked the same as when I left it, so I started hollowing again. This time I waited to define the rim till I was happy with the hollowing. The opening is now 1 3/4 inches.
The quilting is very muted, the tree had been standing dead for at least a decade when I cut it down, but the wood was just too nice to toss without trying.
Diameter: 7 inches
Height:: 3 inches
Finish: VanAqua 485 Water Based Poly - Wax
As always, all questions, comments and/or critiques welcome.

Brian McInturff
02-23-2008, 2:57 PM
Nice piece George! I did a similar design several months ago. I called it my UFO. My wife has it in the middle of one of her tables now with a silk flower arrangement in it. So much for it being a UFO. I love the color and finish on the piece. Great going!!

David Walser
02-23-2008, 3:13 PM
George,

That's very nice and you should be proud of the piece.

One question, when the wood started to crumble, did you consider trying to stabilize it with thin CA glue?

Arlan Ten Kley
02-23-2008, 3:29 PM
George, I always enjoy your work. I've learned much from browsing through your galleries.

What beautiful wood and pleasing form to display it. Interesting neck treatment. I like this piece a lot.

Scott Lux
02-23-2008, 3:48 PM
That piece is so incredible, I have no idea what to say about it. The wood is gorgeous, the form is interesting. What else is there?

Lux

George Guadiane
02-23-2008, 4:03 PM
George,

That's very nice and you should be proud of the piece.

One question, when the wood started to crumble, did you consider trying to stabilize it with thin CA glue?

Yes David,
I did consider it, BUT...
I got to my last club meeting too late... The CA had already sold out, so the few drops that I have is being saved for real emergencies, besides, the CA usually changes the wood color, it can look like a stain, so I didn't even try.
Thank You Everyone!

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2008, 4:37 PM
George - every time I see that you have posted something new I always expect to be Wowed - this time is no exception! Absolutely amazing wood! Love the various grain patterns, the color and the outstanding job on the finish! Interesting form variation around the opening! Great work - thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2008, 5:36 PM
It is a beauty George. Really like the form, finish and wood.

Ben Gastfriend
02-23-2008, 9:07 PM
That's a really beautiful piece, the wood looks great. Your rim detail is cool, too!