PDA

View Full Version : Bench top question

David Miller
02-23-2008, 2:37 PM
I am in the planning stage of building a workbench. Right now I am thinking about the top. I haven't decided if I'm going with a slab with or without a tool tray down the middle. But either way I have a question about making the top.

Is there a disadvantage to using a slab of 8/4 material laying on it's face for the workbench top compared to 8/4 material ripped, stood on it's edge, and glued up? I have a slab of cherry that is 85"x15"x2". It is probably over 30 years old and is still rough sawn. I've had it for almost ten years and was given to me buy a mentor. I don't want to ever chop it up and I was thinking that using it for the majority of the top of a bench may be an excellent idea. I also have a couple 104"x7.75"x2" pieces that I could use for the remainder of the field and the apron.

However, the slab is not flat. :( It has ~3/4" crown along it's length. Can something this thick be "coaxed" flat?

Another question: is there a problem with using 4/4 material, ripped, laid on edge, and glued for the top? If not, would it be cheaper than using 8/4 material?

Thanks,
Dave

Peter Quadarella
02-23-2008, 4:46 PM
I'm not much of an expert so I don't want to attempt an answer to some of your questions about top suitability and different cuts. But for the question about flattening the slab you have, there are many ways to do so. A planer and jointer (or planer sled) will work, a really big router bridge, or simply flattening by hand with hand planes are all methods for flattening wood.

David Miller
02-23-2008, 4:56 PM
Thanks Peter. I forgot about the router sled idea. If I do anything it will be this. Neither my jointer or planer are wide enough to handle the slab. However, I'll have to try to flatten it mechanically first to get some of the crown out because I want to keep the top at least 1.5" thick.

-Dave

Steven DeMars
02-23-2008, 5:08 PM
Before you make the first cut . . . I would suggest you get a copy of this book and read it from cover to cover . . . Be sure to get the Special Edition that includes the CD to accompany the book . . .

Workbenches from Design & Theory to Construction & Use
written by Christopher Schwarz . . . . .

http://www.lostartpress.com/

I believe I currently own every workbench related article and book in print and I assure you this is the best of the best.:)

Victor Stearns
02-23-2008, 5:27 PM
I have to agree with Steven, that Chris Swartz book is a MUST READ BEFORE CUTTING!
I too have researched and have a large number of workbench articles. I hope to build the bases for two benches this summer. I was lucky enough to receive two maple bench tops for a high school that was getting rid of them.
My thought relating to the construction of the bench top, is that a laminated top will hold up better that a slab. In the articles that I have read I do not recall a slab bench top. I have never been able to coax the crown out of a piece of wood without taking material off. Maybe this piece of wood could be saved for another project later. I have seen the use of several layer of sheet stock used for bench tops.
Victor

David Miller
02-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up The Workbench by Lon Schleining yesterday. I also saw Christopher Schwarz's book. Perhaps I'll go back and pick it up.

I'll probably save my cherry slab for another project. I think it would make a nice table someday.

-Dave