PDA

View Full Version : No Fun Being a Memphian

Paul Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 1:16 PM
I want to pull my hair out every time I need wood! The only retail store within 150 miles is Colco and they rip you off four ways.

First, their prices are based on the NHLA pricing and not based on what they paid for it. Next, they only stock S2S and S4S, so the surfacing charge is built into the price. Third, because their stock is all S2S or S4S, you have to buy thicker material than you need to make up for the surfacing. And fourth, if you don't need the entire hunk of tree, they charge you an additional 20% of your total bill.

Arrrggg!

I was looking for some Curly Maple and Padauk. The curly maple was almost $20/bf for 8/4 and the padauk was almost $10/bf for 8/4.

When I needed 25bf of 6/4 cherry for fifty little boxes, it would have ended up being less than half as expensive to buy off the Internet (including shipping). It almost makes me want to start up a business. Luckily, Scott Banbury ended up providing me with the cherry I needed and I was very happy with the outcome.

Thanks for listening.

Paul

Gary Herrmann
02-23-2008, 1:52 PM
Well, on the other hand - as my wife keeps pointing out, the Tigers are No 1 and undefeated. I guess thats what I get for yapping about the Gators for the last few years.

Isn't NoogaWood (manufacturer's forum) in TN? Forget where tho.

Paul Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 1:59 PM
Well, on the other hand - as my wife keeps pointing out, the Tigers are No 1 and undefeated. I guess thats what I get for yapping about the Gators for the last few years.

:D I guess if this was a basketball forum, the title of my post would have been a little different. LOL

They're in Chattanooga. I think there's also a mill near Dyersburg. And there's a Woodcraft near Nashville. There's just not a whole lot of choices near Memphis.

Paul

Jim Becker
02-23-2008, 3:50 PM
So...why not see if you can get Mike Morgan to head down your way with a big load of lumber or ship you what you need? Prices are right and the material is generally very good. Get together with a few others for a larger order and an even better price, too.

Paul Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 3:59 PM
So...why not see if you can get Mike Morgan to head down your way with a big load of lumber or ship you what you need? Prices are right and the material is generally very good. Get together with a few others for a larger order and an even better price, too.

Mike's getting ready to ship me some domestic wood. He doesn't carry exotics does he? I've contacted Matt at NoogaWood for an upcoming project.

It's just not as convenient as being able to hop in the car and pick up a board or two from a local dealer. Most of the time I don't need much.

Paul

Bruce Page
02-23-2008, 4:36 PM
I feel your pain... but try buying hardwood in New Mexico sometime...

Paul Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 4:44 PM

What do you do? Order in from out of town? Day trip lumber hauls? ;)

Paul

Jim Becker
02-23-2008, 5:18 PM
Buying small quantities of exotics is pretty easy from "so many" sources. Hearne Hardwoods, for example, as well as other places will often have "UPS acceptable" bundles in a whole lot of species available. If you are not happy with the one local supplier you have identified, then buy from somewhere else.

Bruce Page
02-23-2008, 8:21 PM

Paul

I do both internet (Steve Wall Lumber) and local. There are a few suppliers here & in Santa Fe but everything is expensive and the selection is not the greatest. I bought some nice 4/4 lacewood locally a couple of weeks ago at $17.87/bf.

Colin Giersberg
02-23-2008, 8:42 PM
Paul, there is a business in Scottsboro, Alabama that may sell cheaper. They saw their own lumber, and stock a decent selection. It is called "The Hardwood Center". They do have a website, so you can see what they have. While it is a long haul for you, it may be worth your time. They are also looking at setting up several more stores, so all may not be lost.

Regards, Colin

C Scott McDonald
02-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey Bruce,

If you feel like a road trip up I-25 head to Gardner, CO probably about 4 hours each way or so. You will not be disappointed.

Here is there site.

http://www.cswoods.com/index.php

Take care,
Scott

Nancy Laird
02-23-2008, 10:20 PM

Paul

Bruce: have you been to Lumber Products to try to buy hardwood? They do very well on 8/4 hard maple and 4/4 cherry---don't know about all the stuff they have. They have better prices and a better selection that Paxton/Orepak or Albq Hardwoods. Of course, they don't do much exotics, and I think that Woodcraft has that market cornered.

Paul, a (week)day lumber haul would take you to Troy, straight up US 51 from Dyersburg at the intersection with TN21 - to Hanafee Bros. They are big suppliers of both red and white oak, but they also have some great hard maple, cherry, walnut, sasafras, and have great prices. We got red oak there in August for $1.00 bd/ft and the hard maple was $2.05 bd/ft. If you go up there, make sure that Don knows that the Lairds sent you. We saw him earlier this week and his business is hurting, and he wants to sell some lumber!! Take a BIG truck when you go, then turn around and sell it---:D:D

Nancy

David Gunn
02-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Paul, I know it is 1-1/2 hours from you, but Bennett Lumber in Tuckerman, AR has really good prices on domestics. I am not sure if they have exotics or not. You could give them a call. Really nice guys. The have FAS rough lumber, so the issues you are talking about with Colco would not be a problem. They may even deliver over close to where you are.

Bill Huber
02-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Buying small quantities of exotics is pretty easy from "so many" sources. Hearne Hardwoods, for example, as well as other places will often have "UPS acceptable" bundles in a whole lot of species available. If you are not happy with the one local supplier you have identified, then buy from somewhere else.

Jim, you never ever say UPS to someone that lives in Memphis....:D:D

Paul Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Paul, a (week)day lumber haul would take you to Troy, straight up US 51 from Dyersburg at the intersection with TN21 - to Hanafee Bros. They are big suppliers of both red and white oak, but they also have some great hard maple, cherry, walnut, sasafras, and have great prices. We got red oak there in August for $1.00 bd/ft and the hard maple was $2.05 bd/ft. If you go up there, make sure that Don knows that the Lairds sent you. We saw him earlier this week and his business is hurting, and he wants to sell some lumber!! Take a BIG truck when you go, then turn around and sell it---:D:D

Nancy

I knew about Hanafee Bros, but haven't yet made the two hour drive up there.

Paul, I know it is 1-1/2 hours from you, but Bennett Lumber in Tuckerman, AR has really good prices on domestics. I am not sure if they have exotics or not. You could give them a call. Really nice guys. The have FAS rough lumber, so the issues you are talking about with Colco would not be a problem. They may even deliver over close to where you are.

Hadn't hear of Bennett. Hmm. Google says it's 2-1/2 hours going through Jonesboro.

Jim, you never ever say UPS to someone that lives in Memphis....:D:D

LOL

For ground, I still think UPS is better than FedEx, though FedEx has been getting better over the last few years.

Paul

Steve Roxberg
02-23-2008, 11:39 PM

Good news Gary, you won't have to hear it again.

Jim Andrew
02-24-2008, 6:30 AM
Reading this post makes me think there is probably a small bandmill guy in your neighborhood, sawing up local trees. Wouldn't be able to find any exotics, probably just air dried lumber from your own area. These guys are your source for the most reasonable priced lumber. Speaking for myself, I just got a mill to supply myself with low cost lumber. But before long, I cut up enough to last quite a while. But I still have the mill, and there are still trees out there, just waiting to be sawn. The mill mfgrs have lists of sawmill operators and where they are. Check out woodmizer and timberking, and cooks for local guys. Or woodweb and forestry forum have sawmill operators. Jim

Irvin Cooper
02-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Paul,

I am right up the road from you. You are correct, there is no local wood to be found in the Memphis area. Even the local "small bandmill" guys give you nothing but the run around, if they will even answer the phone or emails.

I did, however, find a few other sources in my search. One is in Tuckerman, Ar, about 2 hrs from you, there is another in Union City, TN, and yet another down in Northern MS.

PM me and I can send you the sources I have

David Gunn
02-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Paul,
from the bridges over the river, it is just barely over 1-1/2 hours. You don't need to drive through Jonesboro. You take I-55 north to 63, then to 14 west to Newport and go north on 67 from there.

Paul Fitzgerald
02-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Reading this post makes me think there is probably a small bandmill guy in your neighborhood, sawing up local trees. Wouldn't be able to find any exotics, probably just air dried lumber from your own area. These guys are your source for the most reasonable priced lumber. Speaking for myself, I just got a mill to supply myself with low cost lumber. But before long, I cut up enough to last quite a while. But I still have the mill, and there are still trees out there, just waiting to be sawn. The mill mfgrs have lists of sawmill operators and where they are. Check out woodmizer and timberking, and cooks for local guys. Or woodweb and forestry forum have sawmill operators. Jim

Jim,

There is a local sawyer. His name is Scott Banbury. He's the fellow that supplied me with the Cherry I mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Paul

Paul Fitzgerald
02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Paul,
from the bridges over the river, it is just barely over 1-1/2 hours. You don't need to drive through Jonesboro. You take I-55 north to 63, then to 14 west to Newport and go north on 67 from there.

David,

I figured you'd know a better way to go. Thanks for the info!

Paul

Danny Thompson
02-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Paul,

I feel your pain. My Colco strategy has been to stock up when they put something interesting on sale. For example, I bought my Paduak there when it was around $5/BF. I did the same with Bubinga, Makore, African Mahogany, and Leopardwood, and bought some offcuts of Wenge and Purpleheart, as well. I tend to have one or two boards of each, although I have only a very small amount of Paduak left (2-3 BF).

If you find yourself in need of any of these, let me know (notice a lack of Cherry in my arsenal).

Danny

Scott Banbury
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Paul,

Even the local "small bandmill" guys give you nothing but the run around, if they will even answer the phone or emails.

I feel like you are talking about me, Mark (I'm not sure why you don't post using your own name).

It took awhile to get back to you last time you contacted me because you offered no real specifics on what you wanted. When I have to order wood, I let my supplier know exactly what I'm using it for, what widths/thickness I need and usually even send them a copy of my cutlist so they can be sure to meet my needs.

Then you got kinda pissy with me and I really didn't want to have anything to do with you--I make my living as a woodworker and selling lumber is something I do to help friends not to make money.

I have a sawmill to supply myself with the type of lumber I can't readily buy. But because I produce types of lumber (thicker, wider or live edge) that can't be found at local retail, I do sell to a couple of locals. I don't bother sawing much 4/4 or even 5/4 unless we're talking quartersawn oak. I have in the past sawn cabinet wood (random width, grade sawn 4/4) but the hassle of drying, storing and unstacking and restacking it for folks that might by some didn't pay and my own work usually calls for boule sawn wood.

Folks that live in the Memphis area that are looking for 200ft plus quantities of random width hardwood are welcome to contact me and I'll hook you up with a good broker here in town that is very reasonable.