PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Seperator Question

Geoff Potter
02-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Just getting back into ww'ing and need some advice. I currently have a 2hp DC with felt bags and a trash can seperator. I am going to buy a Wynn canister for the DC and wondered if I still need the seperator. Seems like all the twists and turns rob performance. What do you say?

David Romano
02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Absolutely. I have a 2 hp Dc and the Wynn canister. Before I learned about Phil Thien's baffle design, my canister was completely clogged.

Read this thread, and follow the links it has also. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=701853#poststop

The original design is a trash can style pre-separator, but I built the baffle right into the DC ring and my canister is as clean as a whistle. Others have done the same thing with equally great results. This configuartion does not "pre" separate though, so I still can't suck up screws, nuts or big chunks of wood. You will lose some airflow of course, we don't know how much, but it has to be alot less than you would if the cansister pleats were stuffed with sawdust. This baffle is a must have.

David