PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight woodworking bench

Craig D Peltier
02-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Wasnt there a post on here about that a while back? I did search keys alot of different ways and could not find it. I know its not high quality. I think I remember hearing the the undercarriage wood thicknesses seem to be on the light side? Its $149 for 60 inches with a wood end vise in it?
I remember seeing a woodworkers bench at costco out here that wasnt worth it due to it not being sturdy.

Ben Cadotte
02-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I have never seen it. Seems to be on sale alot (except now). $179 now. They now have a shorter 40" one as well. $129 regular price. The longer one is on the Inside track members sale every now and then. Think the last time I saw it there it was $149. No clue on its quality, like if its worth to buy it and add a little to it to beef it up. Price wise it might be a good idea??

Tools not included; Vise capacity: 7''; Table top dimensions: 60'' L x 20-1/8'' W x 2-1/2'' T; Shelf dimensions: 47-1/4'' L x 14-3/4'' W x 2-1/2'' H; Drawer dimensions (x4): 21'' W x 12-3/4'' D x 3'' H; Overall dimensions: 60'' L x 20-1/8'' W x 33-1/4'' H; Weight: 111 lbs.

ITEM 93454-2vga

keith ouellette
02-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Its on sale in march. I think the first fri, sat , and sun

Craig D Peltier
02-23-2008, 1:48 PM
Its on sale in march. I think the first fri, sat , and sun

I got a flyer two days ago saying its 149. Lot no 93454
Says it includeds 4 felt lined draws and wood block vise and 16 bench dog holes, 4 metal pegs and 4 oak pegs.

Billy Chambless
02-23-2008, 2:48 PM
I've looked at that one in the local HF store and was profoundly unimpressed. It's too light and flimsy to hold up to serious hand tool use.

Bill Wyko
02-23-2008, 2:59 PM
I have one of these.
1- the bench is splitting in numerous places
2- the drawers don't come out far enough
3- built for disposal over time.
4- the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.
I suppose you would get your moneys worth if you don't do any heavy work on it. I'll eventually replace mine with one I build myself.

scott spencer
02-23-2008, 4:07 PM
I've looked at that one in the local HF store and was profoundly unimpressed. It's too light and flimsy to hold up to serious hand tool use.

I echo Billy's sentiments....it's just not a substantial bench. In stark contrast, Sam's Club has a fairly impressive bench for $200. No vise is included but it's a much nicer bench if they still have them...~ 72" x 25" x 1.5" with steel leg set.

Kev Godwin
02-23-2008, 7:09 PM
I just looked at a floor model an hour ago at my local HF. It has substantial open splits all the way thru the top and the drawers were very sloppy. It has very light legs and poor connections that would require a lot of additional reinforcement. Even at $149, I don't think it would be worth it. It was noted as being on sale until March 10th.
Kev

Craig D Peltier
02-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Good enough for me not to bother to look at it.
Thank you

Greg McCallister
02-24-2008, 7:27 AM
Not to try to hijack this thread but has anyone used an IKEA wood counter top (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/rooms/kitchen/10479/) for a bench top?
Multiple precut sizes and 1 1/2" thick in oak, birch, and beech (not sure on what beech is ?). Also there are some laminate versions that might be good for other things such a router tables and table saw extensions.
An oak, birch and beech 73" X 25" X 1 1/2" is $129.00 plus shipping.
An oak, birch and beech 73" X 39" X 1 1/2" is $195.00 plus shipping.
An laminate version (multiple colors) 49" X 25" X 1 1/2" is $59.00 plus shipping.
Not real sure on figuring out the shipping - looks rather confusing...
Just an idea I have been kicking around. :)

Matt Meiser
02-24-2008, 9:54 AM
I haven't used the IKEA top, but I had the same thought. I saw one very reasonably priced while at IKEA with my brother and his wife in Minneapolis. Didn't have room to haul it home though. :( I really don't see why it wouldn't work as that is the same thickness as many of the other commercially available bench tops. I guess the only concer would be if the glue joints are strong.

Bruce Page
02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I bought a pre-made top for my bench. It has been about 10 years but I think :o I paid about $400 delivered, for the 36”X96”X1½” hard maple top. It has stood up very well. When I looked into it, it was cheaper to buy it than make it here in New Mexico.

Michael Faurot
02-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Not to try to hijack this thread but has anyone used an IKEA wood counter top (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/rooms/kitchen/10479/) for a bench top?
[...]
An oak, birch and beech 73" X 25" X 1 1/2" is $129.00 plus shipping.
An oak, birch and beech 73" X 39" X 1 1/2" is $195.00 plus shipping.
An laminate version (multiple colors) 49" X 25" X 1 1/2" is $59.00 plus shipping.
Not real sure on figuring out the shipping - looks rather confusing...

I became aware of these awhile back as the prices from Ikea do look pretty good. However, there's not an Ikea close by where I live, so I checked to see what it would cost to order one online and have it shipped. So I went through the order process online, to see what it would total up to and it was ludicrously expensive. We're talking about shipping and handling that's twice the price of the item! So unless there's a physical store close enough you want to drive to, I seriously doubt you'll want to have them shipped.

glenn bradley
02-24-2008, 1:27 PM
OK . . . deep breath . . . Now listen carefully to this and tell me the first thing that pops into your head:

Harbour Freight Woodworking Bench for under $150.

Did you feel that reaction? . .. Go with it. ;)

On the searious side; I have seen it, had my hands on it and stood in front of it as if to work. It is quite lightweight and the construction is about what you would expect. I would really, really recommend spending the $150 on some KD fir and MDF at the BORG and building a "weekend bench". It will be more sturdy, longer lasting and could be cusom-built to fit your space. Just my .02.

Greg McCallister
02-24-2008, 2:28 PM
I became aware of these awhile back as the prices from Ikea do look pretty good. However, there's not an Ikea close by where I live, so I checked to see what it would cost to order one online and have it shipped. So I went through the order process online, to see what it would total up to and it was ludicrously expensive. We're talking about shipping and handling that's twice the price of the item! So unless there's a physical store close enough you want to drive to, I seriously doubt you'll want to have them shipped.

Michael,
WOW you are not joking about the shipping. Over $100.00 for a $50.00 item plus tax came to a little over a $167.00
Sorry about the false hopes people.
I have one within 20 miles so I guess I am lucky in that aspect.
Totally unbelievable....

Bruce Page
02-24-2008, 2:46 PM
Michael,
WOW you are not joking about the shipping. Over $100.00 for a $50.00 item plus tax came to a little over a $167.00
Totally unbelievable....

I'm not sure what you expected Greg but they are quite heavy and awkward to handle. I bet the top that I bought weighed ~150 lbs, if not more.

glenn bradley
02-24-2008, 2:57 PM
Michael,
Totally unbelievable....

On the other hand it really ticks me off when companies base shipping on the cost of an item. Some places you can ship 50 lbs of cast iron for the same price as a 10 oz. hand plane(?). Talk about totally unbelievable, eh?

Craig D Peltier
02-24-2008, 7:41 PM
OK . . . deep breath . . . Now listen carefully to this and tell me the first thing that pops into your head:

Harbour Freight Woodworking Bench for under $150.

Did you feel that reaction? . .. Go with it. ;)

On the searious side; I have seen it, had my hands on it and stood in front of it as if to work. It is quite lightweight and the construction is about what you would expect. I would really, really recommend spending the $150 on some KD fir and MDF at the BORG and building a "weekend bench". It will be more sturdy, longer lasting and could be cusom-built to fit your space. Just my .02.

It also comes with and end vice.