PDA

View Full Version : I love those tailed woodworkers!

harry strasil
02-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Some neander ways are so simple to us Neanderthals. LOL

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77492

Gary Herrmann
02-23-2008, 1:56 PM
I like that Stanley dowelmaker, Harry. Been keeping my eyes open for one. Been meaning to make a doweling plate too. Another thing to add to the list.

Jim Koepke
02-24-2008, 1:24 AM
I like that Stanley dowelmaker, Harry. Been keeping my eyes open for one. Been meaning to make a doweling plate too. Another thing to add to the list.

As I posted over in the other thread, a plane like a Stanley 45 and a beading blade can make dowels. Start a bead on one side, then cut from the other. Use the slitter blade to trim it off. Clamp another beading blade to the edge of a bench and draw the dowel through to smooth it if needed.
Takes a little practice.

jim

Wilbur Pan
02-24-2008, 8:48 AM
God bless the tailed woodworkers, for there are enough of them that they have their own area of SMC to play in. Otherwise they would be cluttering up this board with gripes about how much Festool tools cost, and whether buying a SawStop makes a statement about ethics. ;)

harry strasil
02-24-2008, 8:51 AM
Amen to small favors, brother Pan.

harry strasil
02-24-2008, 8:52 AM
They do have the ability to overcomplicate simple procedures.

Its kind of like Blacksmithing. You should learn how to make scrolls by hand well, before making a scroll jig to help make them.

harry strasil
02-24-2008, 8:54 AM
Hand Tool. What's That? Would Norm stoop low enough to actually use a handtool. Enough to give the tailed tool sponsors apaplexy. LOL

Jim Becker
02-24-2008, 9:38 AM
Would Norm stoop low enough to actually use a handtool.

Yes, and he does...although not with fervor. ;)

Lee Koepke
02-24-2008, 10:41 AM
They do have the ability to overcomplicate simple procedures.

of ALL the things I have learned on this board in my short time here, that statement summarizes it well.... at least for me.

Jim Becker
02-24-2008, 11:12 AM
If I may make a suggestion...for those who have extensive experience with hand tools, take an occasional moment to mention a technique in a tailed-tool thread where it would bring some simplicity to the operation. It is that kind of thing that brought me to using hand tools for more and more things. A little mentoring is a good thing. Yes, you will not always get a convert or even an understanding, but you can at least say you tried!!

Don Pierson
02-24-2008, 3:35 PM
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/NorthAmerica/images/LargeBeaverPhoto.jpg

Marcus Ward
02-25-2008, 6:50 AM
Yes, and he does...although not with fervor. ;)

Hard to be a salesman for things rarely made and I don't think he's in LN or LV's advertising budget.

Billy Chambless
02-25-2008, 7:51 AM
If I may make a suggestion...for those who have extensive experience with hand tools, take an occasional moment to mention a technique in a tailed-tool thread where it would bring some simplicity to the operation. It is that kind of thing that brought me to using hand tools for more and more things.

That's a very good point. A lot of people (and I used to be one of them) assume that a power tool solution is always going to be faster and more accurate than hand tools. Very often, a pointer or two could be a great gelp to those people.