PDA

View Full Version : Do you make or buy pegs for mortises?

Brad Ridgway
02-23-2008, 7:58 AM
i've searched, but to no avail, perhaps cause one shouldn't need to ask the following?

If i want to use round through pegs in my mortise and tenons joins (i.e. for this miter stations i'm copying from jim ad FW), how does one go about getting them if one has no lathe.

Can i purchase somewhere?

Don Bullock
02-23-2008, 8:15 AM
I use dowels in either matching or contrasting hardwood.

Gary Keedwell
02-23-2008, 10:10 AM
i've searched, but to no avail, perhaps cause one shouldn't need to ask the following?

If i want to use round through pegs in my mortise and tenons joins (i.e. for this miter stations i'm copying from jim ad FW), how does one go about getting them if one has no lathe.

Can i purchase somewhere?
A few years ago I bought a bunch of round stock of different species and diameters. They usually come in 3' or 4' lengths and you just cut them to the length you need. Many wood catologs stock them.
Gary

mike holden
02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Traditionally, they are rived from a piece of white oak with a hacking knife, then rounded by being pounded through a dowel plate.
This gets straight grain, and the white oak has good bend/strength characteristics.
Hacking knife is any beefy knife that you dont mind hitting with a mallet, and the doweling plate can be bought from Lie-Nielsen or a simple quarter inch thick piece of steel with the proper size hole drilled in it. Advantage to the Lie-Nielsen is that the tool is hardened and will last for hundreds of pegs - the homemade unhardened will only last for dozens, but then you simply drill another hole and keep going (grin)
Mike

harry strasil
02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
being a neanderthal, I have no problem making pins, pegs and trunnals, I use a dowel plate, this is a picture of my small one. just drill holes in apiece of iron and shine the top up to make the cutting edges sharp. The holes start out a 32nd over then the standard size hole, this small one goes up to 3/4. Just split off squares a little bigger than needed, taper one end and start in the hole and then drive thru with a wooden mallet. an iron hammer will smush the end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/smalldowelplate.jpg

harry strasil
02-23-2008, 10:53 AM
If you have a stanley dowelmaker laying around somewhere because it doesn't have a tail on it, you can always resurect it and rip material square and then just push it thru while turning the handle to make any length dowel you want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/stanleydowelmaker.jpg

Or you can make a simple dowel box and using a blockplane, plane one to size. I made the special little fluting thrumb plane to plane grooves in them if needed like the fancy boughten ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/dowelboxandfluttingplane.jpg

Jim Becker
02-23-2008, 3:15 PM
It would be a rare moment for me to buy something like a peg...so easy to make. And it's even a lot of fun to make a square one fit in a round hole! (Yes, it can be done, too....)

Jim Koepke
02-24-2008, 1:20 AM
If you have a stanley dowelmaker laying around somewhere because it doesn't have a tail on it, you can always resurect it and rip material square and then just push it thru while turning the handle to make any length dowel you want.

Or you can make a simple dowel box and using a blockplane, plane one to size. I made the special little fluting thrumb plane to plane grooves in them if needed like the fancy boughten ones.

Or you can cut them with a multi-plane using a beading blade. If you need to pare them, clamp a blade to the edge of a table and draw them through.

jim

Al Navas
02-24-2008, 9:28 AM
... And it's even a lot of fun to make a square one fit in a round hole! (Yes, it can be done, too....)

LOL !

Ahhh, yes, that ancient conundrum, JIm! :D :cool: