PDA

View Full Version : Used a bead router tonight.

Jake Darvall
02-23-2008, 5:43 AM
First time I've used this. Won it on ebay, and cleaned it up tonight and gave it a go.

Its like one of those sash routers. Ovolo. Preston. But, instead of a sash, it cuts a 1/4 inch bead on a curved edge.

Took some photos for something to do, since its too late too turn on the machines.

pic 1 - thats what it looks like.

pic2 - High bed. Shouldn't tear much with a bed like that I'm guessing.

pic 3 - Just cut a mild curve on a bit of scrap with my new bandsaw (thanks Tom. Love it) Just pushed it like a spokeshave. Its got two blades. The blades have the same profile, and I just use the blade thats cutting the cleanest. so your always cutting with grain.

pic 4, 5. a nice sort of detail I thought.

Only worked on a mild curve though I noticed. I tried first with a tighter curve and the sole wouldn't drop properly.

I liked it. Its like a scratch tool, but it cuts faster, cause your not scraping, and the blade won't wear as fast.

Put it on the shelf now, and probably won't use it for 2 years. Better put some oil on it eh.

harry strasil
02-23-2008, 8:36 AM
Nice looking late model coachmakers beading jigger, although I prefer to pull rather than push spokeshaves and scraper tools. There are a whole group of tools that are more or less unique to the coachmaker trade, and they have uses other than coachmaking.

Tony Zaffuto
02-23-2008, 1:34 PM
Mind me asking if it was a gloatable price? Only asking cause I'm a Preston accumulator.

T.Z.

Jim Becker
02-23-2008, 3:16 PM
Very nice, Jake!!

(BTW, there is a tutorial at the top of the Forum Technical Support forum on how to do in-line pictures so you can mix your shots and text all together)

Jake Darvall
02-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks Jim. I'll try that that next time. Just having troubles with this computer. This seems to be the only way that works at the moment. I fear if I do anything different the thing will start playing up.

I find these tools interesting. I have a 5/8" sash or lambstongue (different names all over it seems) pic 1. which I've used a couple of times. But for what I do, I'd like a smaller version of it. Maybe 3/8" if they exist. Thinking curved glazing bars on cabinet fronts, and I'm not too fond of modern ogees in cope in stick router sets. The old ones sweep deeper. Looks better I think. So, if anybody wants to sell me one of them, I'd appreciate it.

Tony... I got mine for $25 (AU)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180214604069&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008

I've got a preston 5/8" bead you may be interested in (pic2, 3, and 4). Its too big for what I need. It used to be my grandfathers, and I have no need for it.

I'm trying to raise some money for some other tools, so if you want it you can have it for $50

Im just basing that on what this fella charges. The ones in good nick are around $80, so I figured 50 be about right (since he's a dealer ;)) http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/Users-8.htm

I don't know how costly international shipping will cost you though.