PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive !!!

Dan Forman
02-23-2008, 5:41 AM
This is a testament to the tenacity of life. I won this chestnut (I think) log at a local turning club raffle a couple of months ago, it's been sitting indoors (with endgrain sealed) since that time. A couple of weeks ago I noticed some green buds forming, and this is how it looks today. There is still snow on the ground outside, but the days are getting longer, so it must be responding to the changing light. I told a friend about it, and she wants to try to root the stems in water, and transplant in her yard, so I'll give that a shot.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1010772.jpg

Dan

Ben Gastfriend
02-23-2008, 6:20 AM
Ha! Looks like it doesn't want to be turned into a bowl!:D

David Walser
02-23-2008, 7:15 AM
Dan,

If you can only turn a natural edge bowl leaving one or more of those stems on -- alive -- it'll be really cool.

I'm sure you can do it.

robert hainstock
02-23-2008, 9:21 AM
She sugggests that your transplanter save plenty of bark around the new growth and plant it in peat. Or graft it to living root stock. Good luck! :)
Bob

Jim Underwood
02-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I had a Walnut branch do that very thing a year ago or so...

Curt Fuller
02-23-2008, 10:15 AM
That's pretty cool! I've read that it's that very determination to survive that has kept the Chestnut from becoming extinct from the Chestnut blight.

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Dan - maybe it was the incentive of the Salad Bowl Finish sitting next to it! Hope you can get some of the shoots to take root!

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I had a couple of logs do that. Pretty cool.

Robert McGowen
02-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Is that his "half-brother" sitting behind him?

Dan Forman
02-23-2008, 4:29 PM
Kind of reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, (the bring out you dead" segment)..."I'm getting better..."

David---Great suggestion, shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Robert---Thanks for the suggestion, I may try a few different approaches, as there are plenty of stems.

Steve---Might have had something to do with it!

The Other Robert---half cousin, once removed.

Dan

Bill Wyko
02-23-2008, 5:42 PM
I say turn a bowl around the growth, fill it with water and let it grow.:D You could wrap it with cellophane loosly to prevent the growth from flying off and turn that bad boy.

Bill Bolen
02-23-2008, 8:28 PM
Lord! Talk about a renewable resource!..There will be another tree there before this one is a bowl...Bill...

Allen Neighbors
02-23-2008, 9:26 PM
Slice off a wedge of bark (with the shoot) down deep enough to get the sapwood with it. Find a small tree, cut out the wedge of it's bark the same size, and attach this piece with shoot. Pack the scar around it with peat and spray with wound-healer, wrap it with toe-sack/gunny sack, (just enough to hold the wedge in place... don't wrap the shoot), and watch it grow. When it gets large enough to make you thing it's going to make it, cut the top off the mother tree, and the chestnut will become the tree. When your grandkids are old enough to turn, let 'em have it for some interesting wood. :)
Not knowing any better, that's what I would do. :)