PDA

View Full Version : Pine Hall Mirror Video (Part 1), A Design & Market Challenge.

Gord Graff
02-23-2008, 5:33 AM
Hi All,

A number of years ago when pine furniture was the “in thing”, I was asked to design and build a hall mirror that was not only practical but also visually appealing. After a number of designs I came up with the one you see below. I made dozens and dozens of these mirrors that were sold through a couple of stores in downtown Toronto.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/gordgraff/PineHallMirror1.jpg

The challenge for me at the time was keeping my costs down while producing a marketable product. I designed this mirror to be made from those inexpensive ($2 each) 12”X12” mirrors that can be found at any big bulk store and a single 1”X10” X6’ pine board. With these two rather inexpensive elements and a few shaker pegs, I was able to keep my costs down while maximizing profits.

At the time I was making these mirrors my mother in law couldn’t stand the look of them but something changed in way of thinking and now she just has to have one, go figure. So why don’t you come along with me and watch how a couple of cheap mirrors and a single pine board can be transformed into something that appealed to many people, now including my mother in law.

This is a 2 part video (part 2 next week), part one deals with design and the construction of the mirror frame itself, part 2 covers the rest of the construction and my favourite finish for smaller pine pieces like this one. I’m going through “growing pains” in this video dealing with video mikes but I promise to have those bugs ironed out before long, your patience is appreciated while I get a handle on this.

You can view part one here, on Blip TV. http://blip.tv/file/688794/ hope you like it.

All the best
Gord

Brian Penning
02-23-2008, 6:01 AM
Gord»More than the subject of the video, I like watching to see all the different tools and jigs you use.
For example, those 2 metal supports for glueups is a great looking idea. The jig for holding the work when using the biscuit machine was another. In the miter gauge video you had a simple neat little jig holding your dial indicator onto your mitre gauge.
There's probably a couple I missed.
A suggestion would be to have a Shop Tour video showing all these useful accessories.

Gord Graff
02-23-2008, 7:04 AM
Hello Brian,

You and I think alike.

I've been planning on putting a video together in the near future that deals with workshop jigs, fixtures and solutions to workshop problems. If you've got a suggestion or two other than what you've listed...........................I'm all ears. Thanks for your ideas.

All the best
Gord

Gord Graff
02-23-2008, 9:40 AM
Hi Brian,

One other thing needs to be said here on my part.

I really do appreciate the kind folks here at Saw Mill Creek for their support, comments and suggestions. You folks here, have been kind enough and tolerant enough to let me indulge my passion for woodworking on this forum, I can’t thank you enough.

All the best
Gord

Randal Stevenson
02-23-2008, 5:24 PM
Can't view it. What is required to view this? Are you planning on putting on any other site?

Keith Starosta
02-23-2008, 5:24 PM
Hey Gord!! I really liked the video. Well done!

I showed my wife the mirror, and while she said it wasn't necessarily her style, she thought it was well done. My Mother-in-law, however, LOVED it! I'll be building her one soon out of some reclaimed pine I have in the shop.

I have a question, and if this is something you don't want to talk about, just let me know. Back in the day, how much were you able to get for each mirror? Just curious...

Thanks!!

- Keith

Alex Berkovsky
02-23-2008, 7:04 PM
Gord,
Great looking mirror and thanks for the video - can't wait for part 2. Was that your famous biscuit jointer jig that you were using in the video?

Dennis Collins
02-23-2008, 7:31 PM
I just watched Part I of the mirror video and thought you did a GREAT job demostrating and also showing the details of making things just right. I am looking forward to seeing part II. Then off to the shop.

Thanks for all of the work you did in making this available to us fellow woodworkers.

Gord Graff
02-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey Gord!! I really liked the video. Well done!

I showed my wife the mirror, and while she said it wasn't necessarily her style, she thought it was well done. My Mother-in-law, however, LOVED it! I'll be building her one soon out of some reclaimed pine I have in the shop.

I have a question, and if this is something you don't want to talk about, just let me know. Back in the day, how much were you able to get for each mirror? Just curious...

Thanks!!

- Keith

Hello Keith,

I'm not a huge fan of this style of woodworking but when it pays the bills why look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm glad your mother in law likes it and building one in reclaimed pine sounds like a great idea. I hope you post a picture when you finish it.

Here are the stats as I remember them, ten years ago.

Material costs…………………less than $20
Finishing cost……(I sent them out) $25
Consumables……………………………….. $10 including transportation costs. (gas money)

Total……………………………………………….$55 each.

Payment………………………………………..$200 each
Less my costs………………………………..$ 55

My profit………………………………………..$145 each

Retail Price……………………………………..$400

Now before you spit your coffee all over your keyboard, remember those prices were ten years ago.

The key here is finding a store whose cliental is willing to pay the price for a piece like that…………………..believe me there are stores out there that have that type of cliental today. It's up to you to find them.

All the best
Gord

Gord Graff
02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Gord,
Great looking mirror and thanks for the video - can't wait for part 2. Was that your famous biscuit jointer jig that you were using in the video?

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your kind words, I'm really happy you liked it.

Yes that was the famous biscuit jointer jig that I did for Fine Woodworking Magazine. I didn't give it much thought, I just pulled it out and used it.

All the best
Gord

Gord Graff
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I just watched Part I of the mirror video and thought you did a GREAT job demostrating and also showing the details of making things just right. I am looking forward to seeing part II. Then off to the shop.

Thanks for all of the work you did in making this available to us fellow woodworkers.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your kind words, I'm tickled pink (okay, a manly shade of red) that people are getting something that they can use out of these videos. And if you make one, you have to post a picture of it. Thanks again.

All the best
Gord

Jerry White
02-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Excellent presentation, Gord. I'm eager to see Part II!

Jerry

David DeCristoforo
02-23-2008, 11:34 PM
"Can't view it. What is required to view this? "

You need an Adobe Flash Player plugin for your web browser.... Free... Get it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

YM

Randal Stevenson
02-24-2008, 1:02 AM
"Can't view it. What is required to view this? "

You need an Adobe Flash Player plugin for your web browser.... Free... Get it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

YM

I have flash player, so it must require a later version then is available for my 64 bit OS.

Thanks though and insert curse word (have a female freind who is a pine freak)

David Sallee
02-24-2008, 3:12 AM
WOW! Thanks for the video Gord.

As someone that is just breaking into woodworking, this video has brough light to some things.

Thanks! Can't wait to see part II also!

On your famous biscuit jointer jig, do you have or would you consider sharing or selling the plans for it? I would definitely be interested in making one along with the Hall Mirror of course which I do plan on making... ;)

Thanks again Gord for sharing this video!
Dave

Joe Chritz
02-24-2008, 3:55 AM
I haven't heard painting with grain before but it does explain the process very well.

Good vid, I must confess to only watching it for the mentioned biscuit jointing clamp, but I thought the design was well done. That will be something to invest in.

Joe

Gord Graff
02-24-2008, 7:35 AM
Hello All,

Thanks once again for all your kind words and comments.

I dug up the biscuit jointer jig and placed it on the board as a new post,
I hope it helps.

All the best
Gord

Mike Cutler
02-24-2008, 7:53 AM
Gord

Nice video,and an excellent walkthrough on the dry fit, and glue-up phase of a project. Very relevant.

Bryan Cowing
02-24-2008, 4:39 PM
Will a measured "drawering" be available?:D