PDA

View Full Version : Used jointer, is it any good?

Kyle Costlow
02-23-2008, 1:12 AM
As some of you know I am trying to get a shop together on a budget.
I found a used jointer locally and I was wondering if its a good buy,
Its a Delta Shopmaster 6 inch variable speed jointer. How much would this be worth, they say its been used twice, and they have no further use for it.
I know jointers are used to make boards flat, but what else are they used for?
Thanks,
Kyle

Dan Barr
02-23-2008, 1:40 AM
i would pay up to 70 percent of "new" depending on condition and wear.

if its clean and neat, no wear, blades still sharp, fully functioning and they have the manual to go with it, then its a good deal for a beginner. it'll get you by for years.

Even when you decide to upgrade you may still buy another 6" jointer anyway. thats what i did. went from the ryobi 6" to a grizzly 6". both work just fine and i didnt really need to upgrade. i just wanted to and i found a good deal on the grizzly.

ciao,

dan

Jason Scott
02-23-2008, 2:10 AM
If it is the JT360 I have that jointer and it is fantastic for the price you can not beat it, it is a 6" open stand version of the professional line...The way I see it, is just buy it for what you think you could get for it if you sold it in a few years...Although I might have screwed my system up on my new (barely used) bandsaw purchase :rolleyes:

Kyle Costlow
02-23-2008, 2:26 AM
I think its the bench top version Delta JT160

Stephen Edwards
02-23-2008, 7:08 AM
I think its the bench top version Delta JT160

That's a good little jointer for the money. I've successfully jointed 42" boards for glue ups with it, though you have to be patient. I used it for years until recently buying new grizzly floor model.

People use jointers for different functions. My primary use of a jointer is to get smooth, square, straight edges for glue ups.......or just to get a good finish on an exposed edge.

One note: if they tables become out of line there's no parrallel adjustment feature in the tables. However, you can overcome that by removing the 4 screws that are used to attach both the infeed and outfeed tables. Then, using different thickness shims of thin metal (I used different gauges of aluminum cans , sheet steel roofing material, etc.), you CAN get the tables parrallel.

If you can get it for 100-125 bucks it's a good starter jointer.

Kyle Costlow
02-23-2008, 8:30 AM
Its only 45$, but someone else is going to check it out today... the seller is going to let me know if its still available.

Stephen Edwards
02-23-2008, 8:48 AM
If the other person doesn't take it, my advice is to buy it in a New York minute at that price! That's assuming that they're being truthful with you about the condition of the jointer.