02-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi All,

My morning was going great,till I got to my fifth job. A typical crystal

award. I use Corel x3 and epilog helix 60 watt 24x18

I just ruined a expensive crystal:(. I did my normal layout,centered it an

sent it to my laser. Well the dam thing engraved 1/8 to 3/16 off center to

the left. I ck layout an also ck. location of crystal on table. Also ck. the

output dim. in print driver, all ck. good. Made a new layout an engraved

on same crystal, it engraved in the same place. What now???? HELP!!!!

Joe Pelonio
02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Perhaps your page size is off?

The foolproof method is to have a vector file the size and shape of the award. Cut that file out of card stock taped to the table, then remove the shape and place the award in the opening left.

Another safeguard is to run the job first at lower power with blue masking tape on the award, it engraves white and you can double check the placement.

Craig Hogarth
02-22-2008, 11:44 PM
I always run a test using a piece of acrylic over the piece to ensure proper alignment. With the funky shapes, no matter how accurately you measure it, it still comes out a little off. A quick measurement of the test piece will show you how much to move it over.

sal shepherd
02-23-2008, 12:02 AM
this was a no brainer. The crystal was 5x7 you would figure it is easy. Also my previous engravings were centered and they were also text. I turned everything off and disconected everything. I reconected and put info in and the same happend.

Frank Corker
02-23-2008, 5:35 AM
Sal, there will probably be only one or two causes. You have changed the home point of your laser (the default xy settings), you have dirty encoder strip or your drivers are corrupted.

I would suggest that you clean your encoder strips, I'd remove the drivers. Reboot your computer, reload new drivers, reboot the computer and then try again if everything else you have tried does not work.

Search here on the forum because one or two people here with Epilogs have had to change the default xy position which can be done using the buttons on the main keypad. I've never encountered that problem so I'm afraid I don't remember the person who posted it. I do know that when you reload or replace the drivers and the firmware that the laser flushes the bios. Most problems are cured by that.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads.htm

Mike Null
02-23-2008, 6:28 AM
I agree with the others about re-setting the table parameters.

I use application tape and low power to test run an expensive or one of a kind item first.

Stephen Beckham
02-23-2008, 8:18 AM
Sal,

Another step I take every time with expensive items (even repeats during same job) is to draw my vector shape close to the objects shape. Send the file to the laser and let the red dot trace the item. If your Raster Object is centered on your Vector trace (in corel) what you send to the laser should always be the same.

Once I'm sure it follows the outline or a specified track I desire, the ONLY thing I change is my print driver from Vector to Raster.

I also use visual cues to assist with layout - I always save vector art in RED lines and Raster in Black and especially when I have a combination job. The Red line is the reminder of where the red dot should go.

I also set my default Vector power to zero. Why - well, I trace every odd shape in a vector first - too many times (heck - once was too many) I put a nice little line in my target. Setting it to a default of zero, I don't have to remember to check it with the door up or the power low. It's second nature now...

Another tip related to crystal - Uline carries the 100% Cotton Curators gloves for about $.50 each. I wear them to reduce the amount of clean up of my finger prints and other stuff...

David Lavaneri
02-23-2008, 1:50 PM
Sal,

The expense of a repair may outweigh the cost of the piece, but it's possible to buff out light engraving, in glass, with felt wheels and buffing compounds.

Probably worth having it done, professionally, in the case of a very expensive piece.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

James Rambo
02-23-2008, 8:27 PM
Sal, if you do or don't figure the problem out PM me and I can try to make a list of what I did to fix the table setting on my epilog and if you find the way I would like to know how you fixed the problem. They may not be the correct directions for the repair but it was the only way to make it right between my computer and the laser.

Roy Brewer
02-23-2008, 9:49 PM
[quote=sal shepherd;783681]The crystal was 5x7 you would figure it is easy.quote]Sal,

Flat or cylindrical? If cylindrical *and* you used Center/Center origin, confirm that you have 7.07 (or later) print driver.

sal shepherd
02-24-2008, 2:05 AM
hi all,
still have the problem. Ck firmware OK also table settings OK cleaned encoder strip, optics.

What doesn't make sense is I can pull up a templet and run that job with a Name. It came out centered Hor. an Vert. Also ck by putting a 1 x 1 square 2" in on side and 2" on top work piece size 5 x 5 engraved and also cut out the 1 x 1 square everything measured right. Next I put in 2 x 5.750 added text centered and engraved still off a good 1/8 or better from left to right .

Mike Hood
02-24-2008, 1:20 PM
On expensive pieces I always lay a piece of blue masking tape on the area I'm gonna lase. Then I run it once with the door open to see that the centering is OK... and then 2nd time at low power and onto the tape to see the layout... and then engrave on the 3rd pass.

I actually caught a mis-spelled word on the tape just as I was removing it and ready to lase the item. :) Saved me $150 or so...

Roy Brewer
02-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Next I put in 2 x 5.750 added text centered and engraved still off a good 1/8 or better from left to rightSal,
Don't get angry, but it looks like you're forgetting to set the page size in the Print Driver.

Dee Gallo
02-25-2008, 7:28 AM
Sal, I do thousands of tight registration pieces and always make a cardboard or paper template first, so I know exactly where the image is going to be. Lots of the pieces I do are one-of-a-kind customer provided vintage/heirloom, so there's no room for mistakes. Then I use transfer tape on top of the item and burn at fastest speed and lowest power to get a ghost image. If I'm happy with the placement, I burn for real. If not, I replace the tape and test again. It only takes a few seconds to test and saves you horrible anxiety and explanations to customers.

On a side note, I once misaligned my magnetic ruler after cleaning the bed area and it took me a while to figure out why every template was 1/16" off. Maddening until I realized my own stupidity. Sometimes it's more simple than you think.

Good luck, dee

sal shepherd
02-26-2008, 1:56 AM
Roy,

What don't make sense is I engrave this shape all the time. A rectangle. I also talked to Randy. Ran test checked out ok. I can engrave on diamonds (names) the engraving comes out great. I had a templet and I ran many of these they use to come out right, but not any more. Also I reset corel again, and I am in the process of making another templet. Even if I put in all measurements an ck. math it will be correct on screen but not when engraver.

Stephen Beckham
02-26-2008, 7:41 AM
Sal,

I'm running a Mini 24 - anyway you can PM me the file and let me run a template and then the raster on a piece of scrap to see if it shifts on my machine to? Or see if you can find someone with the Helix and have them run it for you?

Steve