PDA

View Full Version : First box project

Maurice Ungaro
03-12-2004, 9:22 AM
OK, after seeing the demure "sand paper cabinet" posted earlier, I really hesitated to put this up, but here it goes: I made this jewelry box for my fiancee, Carlotta. My original intention was to give her the engagement ring with the box, but well....things got in the way. Anyhow, she wanted it made out of pine, to match her Santa Fe furniture (I was going to make it outta maple, or cherry, or well...something worthy, but I've learned a bit in my 42 years, and that's to make the LOML & the customer happy. At least the drawer and dividers are mahogany!

Since I'm without router table at this point, the mouldings were free handed. Finish is 4 coats of tung oil, followed by paste wax. The last picture shows the box in context, atop her dresser.

This is my 3rd project so far. First was my workbench; second was maple cutting boards for Christmas. Next, a Stickley inspired kneeling bench for our wedding next month.

Maurice

Glenn Clabo
03-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Maurice...
You shouldn't be hesitant to show anything. You do nice work. What did you use to line the box? Spray or Felt/silk sheets?

Kent Cori
03-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Maurice,

It looks great and I can't imagine how much effort and skill it took to do the moldings by hand.

As for the kneeling bench, make sure it has a good pad. Speaking from personal experience after 30 years of marriage, I spend a good bit of time on my knees begging for forgiveness. ;)

Dick Parr
03-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Very nice Maurice!

Jim Stastny
03-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Great job. How did you do the moldings?

Mark Mazzo
03-12-2004, 2:50 PM
Maurice,

The box looks great!. I think that it matches the furniture quite well (the hardware is a good match too).

You did a wonderful job on the moldings by hand. I too am wondering if you'll share your process for doing them with us.

Nice work.

-- Mark

Maurice Ungaro
03-12-2004, 7:22 PM
The lining was the peel & stick velvet type purchased from Lee Valley, and really is easy to work with, although I did lay some glue on the wood for extra adhesion. Hope I didn't get too many hopes up with the "free handed mouldings", what I meant to say was that I used the router free handed. I clamped the boards in my bench vise and tried to hold a steady line!

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys, and Kent, as for the pad on the kneeling bench, my fiancee is making that. Maybe I should be prepared with some knee pads under my tux pants...ya think?

Have a great weekend.

Maurice

Jim Becker
03-12-2004, 8:03 PM
That's a very fine jewelry box, Maurice. Like the others said...keep on posting your great work! Carlotta is a lucky gal...

Jeff Skory
03-12-2004, 8:51 PM
Nice job Maurice! I like it. I bought a book on boxes the other day and my LOML said "why would you want to build a box?" LOL

Todd Burch
03-12-2004, 9:30 PM
Maurice - great job! Thanks for posting. I like making boxes, but haven't made any in a while (cabinet boxes don't count!)

Todd

Pat Salter
03-12-2004, 9:45 PM
Nice design (yours? copied?), nice finish, nice all over. I can see only one problem. Now you have to FILL it. About the time you get enough money saved for a new router table you will hear her say, "oh honey, isn't this emerald necklace lovely?". :D Ah well, they're worth it.

Don't forget to post the pics of the kneeling bench. (do you have a plan/pattern?)

And the wedding!

Good luck to you both.

Maurice Ungaro
03-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Nice design (yours? copied?), nice finish, nice all over. I can see only one problem. Now you have to FILL it. About the time you get enough money saved for a new router table you will hear her say, "oh honey, isn't this emerald necklace lovely?". :D Ah well, they're worth it.

Don't forget to post the pics of the kneeling bench. (do you have a plan/pattern?)

And the wedding!

Good luck to you both.

Pat, the box was my design, which I patterned after her furniture. As for the bench, I've done a sketch to scale. I've got a twist on the bench - it's designed to be turned over after the wedding and used as a hall bench, or maybe at the foot of the bed.

Regarding the jewelry thing, she's already got it filled with her stuff! My fear now is that she'll want a BIGGER one, which of course means more jewelry, etc.....

I'll try to take pictures of the bench in progress, and finished!

Maurice