PDA

View Full Version : Oneida portable cyclone questions

Russ Ambrose
02-22-2008, 5:02 PM
after considering all the great info /opinions here, i concluded that i should get a cyclone DC rather than a non-cyclone. i was ready to get one until i realized how much additional $$$ i would likely be spending on ductwork :( so, i checked out oneida's portable cyclone unit.

i have two questions/concerns about this unit though. first, the way this unit is designed ALL the dust/chips/chunks go through the impeller. i always thought that one of the benefits of a cyclone was that the impeller isn't bombarded with all that stuff. should this be a concern or not. oneida tells me that the impeller can take it.

second, the sales guy described this portable system as a "positive" system rather than a "negative" system. we didn't discuss this at length, but the impression that i got was that the 2hp (and apparently most cyclones) are "negative" systems. any idea what the guy is talking about and, more importantly, is this distinction something i should be concerned about?

this unit looks like it would work for me, but i'm concerned that there is really no info or independent testing re: this unit. i've no reason to doubt their CFM numbers, which are more than adequate for my purposes. i just don't want to get a "poorly" (or less than optimal) designed cyclone and kick myself later for not finding a way to scrounge up the extra $$$ to get a "regular" cyclone.

any thoughts are appreciated.

PS - i'm now a contributor....dropped a check in the mail last night. can't thank everybody enough for all the great opinions and insight here. it's worth much more than the measly amount i sent in.

Robert Payne
02-22-2008, 5:17 PM
Your two questions are related to each other -- this design places the motor and blower in the incoming airstream to the unit and thus all of the chips, sawdust, (plus any nails from a floor sweep), etc., pass through the impeller before they are "pushed" out into the paired cyclones. As such, the cyclones are under positive pressure and the exhaust from each passes out through the center top into the filter canisters. I cannot comment on the efficiency of this system -- I have a colleague that has a positive pressure cyclone that is based on the Bill Pentz design and it works well, but is designed quite differently. I am currently installing a negative pressure ClearVue Cyclone.

Phil Thien
02-22-2008, 8:33 PM
If you get a good single-stage DC w/ pleated filter, and add my baffle, you'll have enough money left to get all that ducting.

I don't think I'd spend all that money on a portable cyclone.

Dave Verstraete
02-22-2008, 9:52 PM
Russ
I just received the portable Oneida. Previous to this I had a smaller 1/2 hp Shopsmith. There is obviously no comparison between the two. It is built like a tank. Don't worry about nails hitting the impeller. It is sturdy!

I purchased my DC from Oneida because of the reputation and reviews that I have seen on this site and others. It fits well in my basement ceiling heights. It certainly has the CFMs to do the job for me, I am a hobbyist and only use one machine at a time. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask questions. Realize that I just received it. Others have had this unit longer than I and maybe they will comment also.

I just posted pics under a thread entitled " Oneida Shipment"