PDA

View Full Version : Minor Gloat - My "new" Powermatic 141 Bandsaw

Brent Ring
02-22-2008, 4:53 PM
All,

Just picked up my Powermatic 141 (1973 model) and am pretty excited. Looks like it might need some tires, and it needs the table pin (where can I find this?) I have purchased a Kreg Fence for it, and am looking forward to getting it tuned up and installed. I will post pics later. Looking for any tuning tips too.

Pics coming within 8 hrs.....

Joe Jensen
02-22-2008, 5:13 PM
Congrats. I have a 1989 model that I should sell, but I am having a hard time parting with it. If you don't mind, how much did you have to pay?...joe

Brent Ring
02-22-2008, 5:26 PM
$400.00 - Fence was extra

Brent Ring
02-22-2008, 5:28 PM
BTW - I also had a good conversation with the dealer about a SawStop. Nick my finger with a dado blade on Monday - not serious, and I was doing something dumb, but it gave me the willies and I am pretty committed to one when I make my next TS purchase. Fit and finish are pretty good. Not to hijack my own thread. Any tips on the PM setup?

Joe Jensen
02-22-2008, 5:38 PM
There was a great article on how to tune a bandsaw in Fine Woodworking years ago, maybe 15 years. There are also a couple good books. Fundamentally you want the two wheels running in the same plane. The best way to do this is to remove the table and door, and use an accurate straight edge against both wheels and adjust until they the straight edge hits the bottom of the bottom wheel, top of bottom wheel, bottom of top wheel, and top of top wheel, all at the same time. Also, since it's so old, I'd replace the bearings on the blade guide, and the top wheel. I also wired mine for 220 since I have it in the shop. I bought the Kreg fence for mine just before I found a lightly used Laguna 16HD for 1/2 of new.

Tony Baideme
02-22-2008, 6:19 PM
Joe, That sounds like Bob Vaughn's article in FWW. Good info in it. Yup, back about 1992, thereabouts.

Brent, anyone re-doing a bandsaw should read it. I think there are links to that somewhere. (I can't find them now)

Try checking in OWWM.com

Aloha, Tony

Simon Dupay
02-22-2008, 6:50 PM
A good condition American made Powermatic bandsaw for $400 is a minor gloat?

Grant Davis
02-22-2008, 7:39 PM
I don't see no stinking bandsaw......

great buy anyway.

John Bailey
02-22-2008, 8:17 PM
A good condition American made Powermatic bandsaw for $400 is a minor gloat?

No Sir!!! That's a major gloat. Congrats.

John

M Toupin
02-22-2008, 8:17 PM
Bob Vaughn's article in FWW

Along with some more info

http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/Default.asp#BandSaw

Mike

Lance Norris
02-22-2008, 8:24 PM
it needs the table pin (where can I find this?)

Any pin should work. This pin is from my Grizzly G0457. Its the same size as the pin from my Ridgid BS 14002. It tapers from 3/8" to just over 5/16". Measure the hole in your table to see if these dimensions will work, and if they do... order it from Grizzly. I like this table pin, because it has a handle. I ordered one for my Ridgid because the original has a hex on the end, and takes a wrench to remove it.

John Powers
02-22-2008, 8:36 PM
i bought the microadjuster for that fence and its pretty neat for the money. well done.

Pat Germain
02-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Major congrats on a major used tool score! All I can ever find used in my area are overpriced Craftsman benchtop band saws.

Get er cleaned up well and apply a nice coat of wax everywhere. Dollars to doughnuts, she'll shine better than new and run just as well. :)

Brent Ring
02-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok,

Here are some pics....

Brent Ring
02-22-2008, 11:15 PM
and more pics....

Brent Ring
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM
and the last batch.... It will need some new tires, and some TLC (adjustments), and a couple of different blades, but.... it cuts well. Looks like someone painted the inside orange at some point and then tried to reproduce the PM green/gray of old. Looks like it takes 96" blades. Is that common?

Thanks to all who offered tips. Any others are graciously appreciated.

Larry Fox
02-22-2008, 11:52 PM
having owned one of those saws, I can say that it is a MAJOR gloat - congrats on a wonderful saw.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Congrats on the new bandsaw! May it serve you well Brent!

Bruce Page
02-23-2008, 1:24 PM
She's a beauty!

Matt Meiser
02-23-2008, 2:05 PM
Congratulations on the saw!

My saw was missing the pin. The unthreaded shank of I think a 5/16" bolt happened to be a snug fit, so I just cut off the threads and dressed the cut end on the grinder with a small taper and called it good.

gary Zimmel
02-23-2008, 2:39 PM
Tony

Congrads on the new toy. I'm sure it will get lots of good workouts.

M Toupin
02-23-2008, 4:50 PM
and the last batch.... It will need some new tires, and some TLC (adjustments), and a couple of different blades, but.... it cuts well. Looks like someone painted the inside orange at some point and then tried to reproduce the PM green/gray of old. Looks like it takes 96" blades. Is that common?

Thanks to all who offered tips. Any others are graciously appreciated.

The orange is normal on PMs back in those days. All 3 PM machines I've owned from that time period have all had the orange interiors. I think it might be a primer, though I'm not 100% sure in that. The 70's machines were/are originally a metallic green on the outside. If you're looking to repaint it, Rustoleum hammered green is a very close match. The trick is to put it on in thin coats. Get carried away and and put o thick coats and it'll look like the dickens.

Mike

Brent Ring
03-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Just an update. I got my Kreg Band saw fence on about 2 weeks ago, and clenaed it up, adjusted guide, but a new 1/2" blade on to resaw with (Just an Olson 3tpi Skip tooth), hined and waxed it. Resawed some 6" cherry yesterday, and what a beautiful cut. Nice consitent feed rate, and the measurements came out perfect. I love it. Now for some dust collection on the old beast.....

Bruce Page
03-09-2008, 7:19 PM
Very cool! Now imagine how she would cut with a Timberwolf!