PDA

View Full Version : 3rd thing i ever turned

curtis rosche
02-22-2008, 4:10 PM
here is the third thing i ever turned it is a set of rings made from a solid peice of maple i made 4 of these and the one before this one peeled a peice of skin the size of a dime off my index finger when the parting tool caught and pulled forward pulling my finger between it and the toolrest:eek:
needless to say that one was given away

i left the one end rough because there were non-beleivers at school who thought it was a trick

Scott Hubl
02-22-2008, 4:38 PM
WOW I havent even tried those yet myself.

Good job Curtis.

Be careful with those fingers.

GET a facesheild too!;)

Ben Gastfriend
02-22-2008, 5:00 PM
That looks really cool. Been procrastinating on doing some of those.

Some people highly discourage gloves while turning, but I use them, the reduce fatigue and injuries. Make sure they're tight-fitting so they don't get caught. I use the ones with latex coating on the palm side.

curtis rosche
02-22-2008, 5:05 PM
i used just a parting tool

Gordon Seto
02-22-2008, 8:41 PM
Curtis,

Very cool, it seems you like to be challenged.

I am scared to read your next project, you are paying with skin and flesh.:p

I am glad nothing serious. But the lathe can do major damage to your body. Slow down, safety first.
Please read these:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/resource_center?Args=

Another common accidents is using cloth for finishing. In friction finish, the cloth may get tangle up and pull your fingers; use paper towel instead. So is the cloth back sanding paper. Be real careful when sanding the inside of vessel.

curtis rosche
02-24-2008, 8:17 PM
yepp always careful only did that once

Greg Ketell
02-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Amazing work, Curtis! I've been turning a year and some and still haven't successfully turned a captive ring.

Way to go!

Jerry Allen
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
I used to do my rings with a parting tool and a bent sharpened masonry nail. Then I got a ring tool from Penn State Ind. and made a bead tool from an HF HSS scraper using a 3/8" alum oxide sanding drum. You don't need the whole set of ring tools and you could actually make one the same as I did the bead tool. A 3/8" ring tool can be angled to create smaller diameters. Quick and easyusing the bead tool and then the ring tool. Sometimes you can get some tearout which you can clean up with 60 grit or a skew. Or just go slower and change your angle of attack.
Like Ben, I try to remember to use the latex coated gloves mostly because my aging skin is a wreck. It works nice for sanding and finishing, keeping my fingers cool and free of finish. Most leather gloves are too thick for my taste, although some of the Wells gloves are okay. The latex coated ones are cheap and flexible. Gloves will not prevent major damage, but will lessen the effects minor screw ups, sanding burns, sticky finish, and maybe even a pinch or cut from a sharp tool. Just make sure they fit tight with no loose parts to catch on turning machinery.
Keep that rest close to the work, high enough to keep the blade from diving under the work, and your fingers behind the rest.