PDA

View Full Version : Find This: An 8" x 20" Furnace Filter

Chris Padilla
02-22-2008, 3:15 PM
Let me know if you find one that IS NOT a custom-built one.

I now think I know why one of my air intakes does not have an air filter in it.... :rolleyes:

Don Abele
02-22-2008, 3:25 PM
Chris, that was too easy...took about 10 secs:

http://www.filters-now.com/compare.x?submit=Go&size=8X20

That lists all the various types in 8x20.

Be well,

Doc

Chris Padilla
02-22-2008, 3:41 PM
Sweet, Doc! LOL...I searched for 20 minutes this AM...NOBODY had an 8x20 that I could find. However, that $15 tag is STEEP. Even the site I found to build a custom 8x20 only wanted $9 each, min order of 6.

Muchas Gracias!

Don Abele
02-22-2008, 3:43 PM
Chris, being in the military I move a lot. New houses usually mean new challenges in finding replacement parts. Filters are major item. Seems every place we've lived used different sized ones. I found that site, bookmarked it, and have never had to look anywhere else for the correct size.

Be well,

Doc

Chris Padilla
02-22-2008, 3:47 PM
http://www.nordicpure.com/ is the place I found for a "custom sized" 8x20.

Al Willits
02-22-2008, 3:48 PM
http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php/filtration-manufacturing/e0401-1-8x20x1/?product=159274&category=

Here's a permanent/washable filter, its custom but maybe having one made might be the cheaper in the long run?

Al

John Fricke
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
http://www.filters-now.com/compare.x?submit=Go&size=8X20#skipmenu

somefor 5.99

Chris Padilla
02-24-2008, 1:28 AM
Thanks, John, but Doc beat ya to it! ;)

JayStPeter
02-24-2008, 9:10 AM
I have a size that nobody nearby stocks (well, the HVAC place has the crappy $1.99 ones). I bought a cleanable filter that you build to size from Target. It works pretty well, but I do order a stock of filters online for times when it isn't convenient to clean the filter. Now is a good example, the hoses are disconnected for winter and I can't leave the heat off until the things dry. Probably not a problem for you.

Jim O'Dell
02-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Jay, we have 2 return grills in the house, thus need 2 filters. I bought 4 of the washable units. 2 in, 2 drying for next time. Works great! Jim.

Chris Padilla
02-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I ended up ordering from the NordicPure site I posted about earlier...I have need for 8x20 and 12x20 and they sell them in lots of 6 so hopefully I have enough for a couple of years as we don't run our blower too much.

Jason Beam
02-24-2008, 5:16 PM
I have an odd 10x24 myself and wondered .... i'm sure the answer is a resounding "NO!!! You'll shoot your eye out!" but ...

Can't we ... should we feel so motivated ... change the size required by modifying the intake? For me, I'd love to go to 12x24 because those are VERY common, compared to the 10" variety. But i'm sure some HVAC expert would probably tell me i'd blow my fan's motor, right?

Al Willits
02-25-2008, 9:45 AM
Jason the short version is static pressures, your furnace is rated to work with X amount and to much restriction will effect the efficiency, to little works fine, but we're getting into filter efficiencies here also.

That's why just slapping on a higher efficiency filter may do more harm than good.

Al

Chris Padilla
02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I have an odd 10x24 myself and wondered .... i'm sure the answer is a resounding "NO!!! You'll shoot your eye out!" but ...

Can't we ... should we feel so motivated ... change the size required by modifying the intake? For me, I'd love to go to 12x24 because those are VERY common, compared to the 10" variety. But i'm sure some HVAC expert would probably tell me i'd blow my fan's motor, right?

Well, that NordicPure sight will sell you a custom made 10x24x2 for $70.52 (for 6 of 'em) or about $12 a shot. Not bad considering the cost of converting which is probably in the couple hundred dollar range and then some most likely. :)

Randy Denby
02-26-2008, 9:16 AM

Jason, is this a filter grill? One in which you pop open the front grill to replace the filter? If so, then take out the grill...usually its screwed in around the inside perimeter. You'll do this to see if there is an obstruction to putting in a larger grill.Most are just shimmed in around with 2x material to the studs. If not, then a larger grill /filter will be no problem. But then again,alot of the times, the chosen grill was all that would fit in the first place . We always go to the biggest grill/filter that will fit the circumstance and allow us at least one sq.ft per ton of cooling.
Filter grills are in 50-60 dollar range

Prashun Patel
02-26-2008, 9:27 AM
I get all my filters on ebay. There are a few stores there that'll stock any size in any 'merv' you can imagine (except griffin)