PDA

View Full Version : Darn Fried Chicken!!!

Belinda Barfield
02-22-2008, 3:01 PM
I have to admit to a severe fried chicken addiction. I limit myself to one fried something or other per week - usually fries cause I'm a pretty bad fry addict as well. This Fryday I decided I needed some good ol' KFC to really put a block in the ol' arteries. So, I brave the rain and head down to street to the KFC at I 95.

I get's me some chicken to go and pull out of the parking lot onto the road. This road dead ends just past KFC at an RV dealership. In front of me, waiting for the traffic light to turn green, is a pull behind Bigfoot camper, brand spankin' new, no license plate. For some unfathomable reason the driver of the truck pulling this camper decides he wants to back up. I think he decided he wanted to get in the left turn lane. Anyway, he starts backing up. I start backing up and blowing the horn . . . but there is a car behind me and I can only go so far. That doesn't stop Mr. New Camper Owner, he just keeps backing up, hits my car, and crunches it's poor little front end! :mad: I'm still blowing the horn, the light changes, and the driver just drives away. :mad::mad:

Here's the part that really gets me . . . my little car is paid for, has been since the day I bought it in 1997. I can't really afford another car right now, and didn't need one until today! It's a 97 Nissan Maxima with 150,000 miles on it. The insurance company probably won't even consider it worth repairing, and it isn't worth more than about $1500 on a good day with a spit polish.

On the bright side, I wasn't hurt, and the fear of being crushed by a camper made my heart race, thereby pumping blood forcefully through my arteries, making more room for the fat I just consumed. :)

Y'all be careful out there!

Chris Padilla
02-22-2008, 3:05 PM
Belinda, been there, done that. Vehicles like that are always worth more than their dollar value. Just rotten luck but you aren't the only one! Happy Fryday, regardless!

David Duke
02-22-2008, 3:07 PM
Man thats a bummer, I believe I'd of had to chase him down.

Belinda Barfield
02-22-2008, 3:17 PM
Man thats a bummer, I believe I'd of had to chase him down.

I thought about it, but wasn't sure what condition my radiator was in and he was headed for I-95.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2008, 3:22 PM
You should have thrown the chicken at him and purposely missed him.....He'd have seen it .......stopped and got out to pick it up . Then you could have tackled him!:rolleyes:

Glad you weren't hurt Belinda. It makes me say bad things when drivers are involved in accidents and pull away like that. Some folks don't deserve the privilege of driving an automobile. I've had similar things happen and it's a economic pain!

Jason Roehl
02-22-2008, 3:39 PM
Ouch, tough break, Belinda. You should probably say something at that RV dealership--they may know who was just driving away with a new camper at that time, or, they may have someone coming back with some strange damage on the rear of their new trailer...

mike holden
02-22-2008, 4:06 PM
Worst part is the jerk will probably get the dealership to repair HIS vehicle under warranty! Make a police report, and make sure the RV dealer knows what happened, if he brings it back there, maybe the dealer will call the police, who can match the paint and ask some pointed questions. The dealer may cooperate as they dont want to eat the warranty cost.
At least no one was hurt. Hope the rest of your weekend is uneventful and happier!
Mike

Belinda Barfield
02-22-2008, 4:23 PM
Ouch, tough break, Belinda. You should probably say something at that RV dealership--they may know who was just driving away with a new camper at that time, or, they may have someone coming back with some strange damage on the rear of their new trailer...

Worst part is the jerk will probably get the dealership to repair HIS vehicle under warranty! Make a police report, and make sure the RV dealer knows what happened, if he brings it back there, maybe the dealer will call the police, who can match the paint and ask some pointed questions. The dealer may cooperate as they dont want to eat the warranty cost.
At least no one was hurt. Hope the rest of your weekend is uneventful and happier!
Mike

I ask the police officer if he would stop by the RV dealership and speak with them. His reponse was that he would leave that up to the detective that investigates the accident. I stopped by the dealership but they wouldn't tell me anything, I guess it's a case of confidentiality of some sort. I did ask them to take down my info in case the driver returned. I honestly don't think the driver even knew he backed into me. The 911 dispatcher was going to put out an alert, or whatever you call it, to officers in the area but once on 95 North it's only about ten minutes to the state line.

Thanks all for your kind responses.

Joe Pelonio
02-22-2008, 4:43 PM
Sorry to hear this. With car insurance on an old car or a really new one (no equity) you never get enough to replace it. Your payoff may not even be enough for the insurance company to get involved in an investigation.

Did the RV not have a paper temporary plate on it? Here they have to before going on the road. I guess it was probably a difficult situation for you to look for such a thing anyway, with something like that happening so fast. Hopefully the driver is honest and ends up reporting it, but then it may not have damaged his rear noticeably.

Good luck.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-22-2008, 4:43 PM
Mike

Ditto...........

Matt Woessner
02-22-2008, 4:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your incident. I would have defiantly ran him down- I dont know about your state but in MO everyone carries heat concealed!!:eek:!! Glad to hear your ok.

Jim Becker
02-23-2008, 7:20 AM
That really bites. I do hope the bugger is caught, but am doubtfull unfortunately...

'Tis one of the reasons I have 911 on a voice dial for my wireless phone...I'm dialing before the steam even starts rising... :)

Dave Verstraete
02-23-2008, 9:31 AM
Belinda

Ouch!!

If you had been driving a pickup truck, you could reach back for your "lever-action" that would have been in your "Easy Rider Rifle Rack".

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2008, 9:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your incident. I would have defiantly ran him down- I dont know about your state but in MO everyone carries heat concealed!!:eek:!! Glad to hear your ok.

LOL . . .
My BIL called last night, and when I told him about the accident he said, "I can't believe you didnt get three or four rounds in that thing before he got it out of reverse!" Funny thing about Savannah, no matter what you carry, the other person probably has something bigger - and more deadly!

Lee Schierer
02-25-2008, 1:34 PM
Since you think this was new camper and the camper dealer was just down the road, stop by and describe the camper and the time to the dealership Tell them what happened and I'll bet they can figure out who picked up a camper on that day. You should also report this to the cops as this is a hit and run and they take those pretty seriously in most locations.

I've towed a few trailers in my day and you can always tell when you hit or run over something, so most likely he knew he hit you.

Randy Denby
02-26-2008, 8:49 AM
Yep.....what Lee said. Backing into something with a trailer is not that far removed from doing it without a trailer. He probably felt it. If the dealership wont co-operate, makes me think it could of been one of their delivery /exchange drivers. Good luck

Prashun Patel
02-26-2008, 9:25 AM
You should have thrown the chicken at him and purposely missed him.....He'd have seen it .......stopped and got out to pick it up . Then you could have tackled him!:rolleyes:

LOL. Reminds me of Jack Handy.

Belinda Barfield
02-26-2008, 9:56 AM
Yep.....what Lee said. Backing into something with a trailer is not that far removed from doing it without a trailer. He probably felt it. If the dealership wont co-operate, makes me think it could of been one of their delivery /exchange drivers. Good luck

Randy,

No cooperation from the dealership, and I never thought that it might have been one of their drivers! That makes a lot of sense. I don't have a lot of experience backing a trailer, except one with a boat on it. The only thing I have every really hit is the water. :) I would think he would have felt some resistance when he couldn't continue in reverse!

I meet with the insurance folks tomorrow morning.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this!

Greg Cole
02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
LOL . . .
"I can't believe you didnt get three or four rounds in that thing before he got it out of reverse!" Funny thing about Savannah, no matter what you carry, the other person probably has something bigger - and more deadly!

Shoot first.:D

Greg

Belinda Barfield
02-27-2008, 3:37 PM
I met with the insurance adjuster this a.m. Because my hood won't open the full extent of the damage is still unknown. The adjuster evaluated all of the external damage, estimated the cost to repair, and cut me a check. I stopped by the body shop, gave them the estimate, they ordered the parts, and my car goes into the shop on Monday. Once they get the hood off and can check things out further they will work out the cost of further repairs with the insurance company.

All in all, a pretty simple process. My claim was handled very professionally and I am very pleased with the service. I get to keep my car for a little longer at least. :)

Thanks for all the advice.

Leigh Costello
02-29-2008, 12:41 AM
My oh my, Belinda, what a way to ease clogged arteries! My friend once pulled up to a stop in the right hand turn lane. A semi with trailer pulled up AFTER her in the thru lane to her left. He put on his blinker, and turned right. She saw the cab moving and tried to make her turn before he crushed her car. She nearly made it before the goose neck creamed her roof and shoved her and the car into a traffic light. She wasn't hurt but her Buick magically turned into a Bick and the settlement from the trucking company helped ease her car shopping woes - and her retirement fund. :eek: