PDA

View Full Version : coring tools?

curtis rosche
02-22-2008, 2:53 PM
:confused:ive seen the coring set ups but is there a knive you can get that is just the 1cutter tool that is under $50?

Ben Gastfriend
02-22-2008, 5:07 PM
I can't say that I know of a system under $50. They're really expensive. You really need the setup because the special tool rest allows you to pivot to cut.

But I'm sure you can get replacment knives that fit into the handle if you're planning on making somthing yourself. Check out this link to Craft Supplies USA. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see the replacment knives. They're 39.99 I believe.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_Coring___McNaughton_Combinati on_System___mcnaughton_combo_sytem?Args=

Reed Gray
02-22-2008, 6:21 PM
Some people use a long parting tool that is straight. This is probably the cheapest way to go. The farther out you go, the stronger and heavier the tool has to be. If you use a curved blade, it has to be in a gate (vertical fingers) like the McNaughton, or on a fixed pivoting center like the Oneway and Woodcut. If you try to core with a curved blade freehand, without it being in a specialized tool rest holder, no matter how good of a grip you have the thing will twist out of your hand, the blade will bend, things will come off the lathe, and quoting Bill Grumbine, "bad words will be said".
robo hippy

Scott Hubl
02-22-2008, 6:33 PM
Very BAD Words !:eek::eek::eek: